Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sierra 2EX V2 Subwoofer Integration Question

Default Re: Sierra 2EX V2 Subwoofer Integration Question

The 80Hz THX standard for movies is much too high IMO. Yes 40Hz is half that. Just read this but 40Hz is good for brain therapy.

As far as sub xover preference. i'm just largely going on youtube personalities like Paul McGowan
    of PS Audio

Yes, this hobby. It's my life. As far as why I don't have newer than the S2, it's due to parental restrictions. Scratch that, I have a pair of Lunas that I purchased a few years ago. They were being used until just recently. Turning my 2 ch dac into a 4 ch dac with the use of pro logic was more of an eye opener
    Last edited by choirbass; 03-17-2024 at 02:04 AM.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    The 80Hz THX standard for movies is much too high IMO. Yes 40Hz is half that. Just read this but 40Hz is good for brain therapy.

As far as sub xover preference. i'm just largely going on youtube personalities like Paul McGowan
    of PS Audio

Yes, this hobby. It's my life. As far as why I don't have newer than the S2, it's due to parental restrictions. Scratch that, I have a pair of Lunas that I purchased a few years ago. They were being used until just recently. Turning my 2 ch dac into a 4 ch dac with the use of pro logic was more of an eye opener
    I know when I had a single Outlaw Audio subwoofer, I felt like it couldn’t keep up with my Sierra 2s in the 50 to 80Hz region. In other words, when lowering the crossover from 80 Hz to 50Hz I could hear more detail in that region with material that I was familiar with. I also noticed a slight bit of localization that you discussed with an 80Hz crossover, with some material. In my case I am primarily using my system for movies and TV, where a 50Hz crossover is too low for LFE effects. I was nervous about damaging the woofer.

After upgrading to a pair of Rythmik Fv15HPs, that I place across the room from each other to help cancel out any big peaks or dips, both concerns have been fixed. Bass is not localizable in any seat in the room. Bass is pretty consistent in any seat in the room. I can use an 80Hz crossover or a 50Hz crossover and I hear the same detail in that 50 to 80Hz range. The advantage of letting the subs handle the 50 to 80Hz range is that they can do it much much better, because I can now turn up the volume dial as loud as I can stand without worrying about damaging the Sierra 2s woofers if their is a big LFE effect. In fact the Sierra 2s are probably the bottleneck for how loud the system can get, but it is more than enough for me. I don’t go more than -15dB.

I see you have one L12 sub. Maybe try another placed across the room from the first one. I bet it will fix any localization issues if you use a higher crossover.

Rooms too small to accommodate a second sub, don't think I'll be moving any higher than 40Hz on the xover anyhow.Tho a pair of stacked subs would work regarding space limitations. The reality however is that all of my HI-FI purchasing is on hold for the foreseeable future
    Last edited by choirbass; 03-17-2024 at 09:19 PM.
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    D2R

https://youtu.be/X-yIjCx92iQ?si=95XJbbi21qMotFc8

heres one video on youtube explaining how to set a sub xover frequency
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    D2R

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I know when I had a single Outlaw Audio subwoofer, I felt like it couldn’t keep up with my Sierra 2s in the 50 to 80Hz region. In other words, when lowering the crossover from 80 Hz to 50Hz I could hear more detail in that region with material that I was familiar with. I also noticed a slight bit of localization that you discussed with an 80Hz crossover, with some material. In my case I am primarily using my system for movies and TV, where a 50Hz crossover is too low for LFE effects. I was nervous about damaging the woofer.

After upgrading to a pair of Rythmik Fv15HPs, that I place across the room from each other to help cancel out any big peaks or dips, both concerns have been fixed. Bass is not localizable in any seat in the room. Bass is pretty consistent in any seat in the room. I can use an 80Hz crossover or a 50Hz crossover and I hear the same detail in that 50 to 80Hz range. The advantage of letting the subs handle the 50 to 80Hz range is that they can do it much much better, because I can now turn up the volume dial as loud as I can stand without worrying about damaging the Sierra 2s woofers if their is a big LFE effect. In fact the Sierra 2s are probably the bottleneck for how loud the system can get, but it is more than enough for me. I don’t go more than -15dB.

I see you have one L12 sub. Maybe try another placed across the room from the first one. I bet it will fix any localization issues if you use a higher crossover.
    This is pretty much the same scenario I had with a Hsu subwoofer (Hsu designed the Outlaw sub) and my Sierra 2's. When I changed to Rythmik F15, I could easily raise the crossover point with no discernable difference in sound.

Now, to the LX, I heard a difference between 60hz and 80hz crossover points. At 80hz, the sound lost some of its punchiness (still not localizable thought), at 60hz the punchiness was back.
    Last edited by curtis; 03-28-2024 at 03:51 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    https://youtu.be/X-yIjCx92iQ?si=95XJbbi21qMotFc8

heres one video on youtube explaining how to set a sub xover frequency
    He leaves out some critical steps.

What level do you set the subwoofer and how do you set it.

He also doesn't talk about bass management. Is he sending a full range signal to the mains and just setting the crossover on the sub? Is he using bass management and high passing?

Some very important points in setting up a subwoofer.
    Last edited by curtis; 03-28-2024 at 03:55 PM.
    -curtis

All I can say is he has quite a few videos, what he leaves out in one video he covers in a different video. Can only talk about so much for 5 minutes.
    Last edited by choirbass; 03-28-2024 at 07:29 PM.
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    D2R