Thread: Neophyte question

Question Neophyte question

Hello all, I am soon to be moving into a new home and will have the chance to set up my fledgling 2 way system. As finances are limited, I am likely to be using a POWERNODE 330 for my amp as streaming is the only source for me. My question is; Does this have enough juice to appropriately drive the Sierra LX? I know they love to be played loud, and while that will happen sometimes, general use will be a much more modest level. I enjoy all sorts of music, though largely acoustic stringed instruments and singer/songwriter stuff. Any guidance would be really, really, appreciated.

At some point, I will upgrade my amp, but for now, this seems to be the plan.

Thank You!
    Mac

Default Re: Neophyte question

At moderate levels it should be more than fine.

How far back from the speakers will the listening position be?
    -curtis

How far from the speakers and how big a room? The link I found on google said 80watts per channel. Unless you're in a big room where you're more than 15 feet from the speakers, it's plenty. I initially test drove my LXs on my desk with a ~2.5W per channel amp and that was enough for moderate levels near field.

I have this exact configuration; LX and Powernode (G3). The speakers are 8ft apart. My main listening location is 12ft away. 80 watts is plenty of power for my listening (all types of music). As my living room is partially open in the rear, I spend a lot of time listening to music standing about 25ft away. Rarely, do I have the need or want to turn the volume to the max. IÂ’m happy with this configuration.

Thank you all! Curtis, I will be maybe 10 feet or so back I think. The room is 11x15-ish.

Randy, it sounds like your arrangement will be very much like mine. How do you find the imaging/soundstage?

Mac,

I won’t bore you with how and why I got to the point of purchasing the configuration I have today. But, at the end of the day, what I was searching for, but not really knowing, was music imaging and soundstage. The LX speakers are a big part of achieving this experience. My purchase of the Powernode met my price point and my few “must” have features, however I wasn’t sure how it would integrate with the LX speakers in my environment (i.e., room dynamics). Within a week, I knew this combination was a winner for me. I can pick instrument and voice placement, and the soundstage is fairly wide.

I would recommend purchasing the Powernode on a 30-day return policy. Judge it yourself in your environment. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
    Mac,

I won’t bore you with how and why I got to the point of purchasing the configuration I have today. But, at the end of the day, what I was searching for, but not really knowing, was music imaging and soundstage. The LX speakers are a big part of achieving this experience. My purchase of the Powernode met my price point and my few “must” have features, however I wasn’t sure how it would integrate with the LX speakers in my environment (i.e., room dynamics). Within a week, I knew this combination was a winner for me. I can pick instrument and voice placement, and the soundstage is fairly wide.

I would recommend purchasing the Powernode on a 30-day return policy. Judge it yourself in your environment. I hope this helps.
    Randy, would you categorize the speakers as ‘warm’?

Quote Originally Posted by macsmith777 View Post
    Randy, would you categorize the speakers as ‘warm’?
    Not Randy but I have owned the LX's before and I have owned about 13 other pairs of speakers from various other manufacturers and the LX's were probably the most neutral I have ever owned. I could see them having an exaggerated bass response in some rooms that might tilt the response to the warmer side.

Thank you!