Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modern class D amps with Towers (v2 and ELX) -- anyone have any experience?

Default modern class D amps with Towers (v2 and ELX) -- anyone have any experience?

The title says it all.

I'm thinking about a Buckeye Amps three channel Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier. From what I can tell the Purifi 1ET400A class D amps sound pretty much like a straight wire with gain. But I personally have never heard one, let alone with a speaker using RAAL ribbons.

If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear it. I have a tendency toward acoustic music from classical to jazz, and HT of course. I'm thinking of using one of these things on the L/C/R channels. The rest of the 7.2.4 system will have to struggle by with the internal amps in a Denon AVR-X3800.

What does the group think? Does it make since to go Class D? Or is it insanity with Ascend speakers?
    Last edited by Bruce Watson; 12-06-2023 at 01:13 PM.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Default Re: modern class D amps with Towers (v2 and ELX) -- anyone have any experience?

Hi Bruce,

I am using Purifi 1ET400A based amp to drive my LX's. Before the LX's, they were driving Sierra-2's. At the time, Buckeye had a 3-4 month lead time, and I went with VTV (@racrawford referred me to them). Plenty of good information out there on the 1ET400A.

The amp I got is a five-channel design with the Purifi amps driving the L/C/R, and Hypex amps driving the surrounds.
    https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv...hypex-nc252mp/

As you know, sound preference is very subjective, but I really like how everything works together.
    -curtis

Default Re: modern class D amps with Towers (v2 and ELX) -- anyone have any experience?

I’ve got 2 VTV Pascal amps.
    1 is a 4 channel (125 wpc) that I was using to drive HTM200 as Atmos heights. It is in my closet now but am thinking of having VTV change it to a 2 channel 250 wpc to use for my ELX RAAL towers (and selling the Rogue ST100). Or maybe keep the Rogue to drive the LX’s in my office.

The other is a custom 7 channel VTV Pascal. 1 channel (250 watts) is driving my ELX RAAL Horizon. The other 6 (125 wpc) drive my S2EX surrounds and the 4 HTM Atmos.

Everything sounds great to me
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Bruce,

I enjoy the Buckeye Purifi ET-400A two-channel amplifier. It works perfectly with my 2EXv2s, which as you know feature the 60-10 RAAL tweeter, the smaller cousin to the 70-20 RAAL in the Sierra towers. I strongly recommend Buckeye based on my listening experience with the amp over the past 9 months, and on my direct communications with the owner, Dylan Launder. Extremely quiet, powerful and energy-efficient with a small form factor and different gain options, it's definitely worth the investment. Very highly recommended.
    Speakers: EXv2 (mains), Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra-1 (surrounds), SVS SB 2000 Pro (x2)
    Source: MacBook Pro with Audirvana Studio
    DAC: Schiit Gugnir
    Preamp: Parasound Halo P6
    Amp: Buckeye 2-Channel Purifi ET400A
    AVR: NAD T-753v3i
    Cables: Blue Jeans XLR

So... no hardness, or brittleness, or "transistor sound" then? Smooth vs. rough? Too detailed? Too laid back? The high frequency noise of a class D amp doesn't have any effect on the RAAL sound at all?

I guess what I really want to know is how good is the Purifi class D technology at getting out of the way of the sound so that you can just listen to the musicians and forget about the amps and the speakers?

Hi Bruce,

I cannot make generalizations about Class D. I can only speak from my direct experience with my Buckeye Purifi ET-400A, which replaced Emotiva UPA-1 Class AB amplifiers. Neither the Buckeye nor the Emotivas presented any of those negative qualities that you are concerned about. In my case, I was looking for a smaller, lighter form-factor that is very powerful while being more energy efficient. When I place my ears next to the RAAL tweeters, I hear nothing - the Buckeye is extremely quiet. It provides more than enough power, specified at 225 watts per channel at 8 ohms (peak); I doubt that I use more than a tenth of that given my listening habits. The Purifi measures extremely well to the extent you find those measurements meaningful:

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index...tmpl=component

https://audioxpress.com/article/fres...igentakt-eval1

In terms of your requirements (getting out of the way so you can focus on the music), the Buckeye implementation of the Purifi ET-400A passes with flying colors.
    Last edited by novaduckfan1; 12-07-2023 at 01:08 PM.
    Speakers: EXv2 (mains), Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra-1 (surrounds), SVS SB 2000 Pro (x2)
    Source: MacBook Pro with Audirvana Studio
    DAC: Schiit Gugnir
    Preamp: Parasound Halo P6
    Amp: Buckeye 2-Channel Purifi ET400A
    AVR: NAD T-753v3i
    Cables: Blue Jeans XLR

Quote Originally Posted by novaduckfan1 View Post
    In terms of your requirements (getting out of the way so you can focus on the music), the Buckeye implementation of the Purifi ET-400A passes with flying colors.
    Good to know. Thanks.

I agree...it is VERY transparent.

Your plan is to use it as an external amp off of the Denon?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Your plan is to use it as an external amp off of the Denon?
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Exactly.
    In that case, and I am just thinking out loud...

I would think about shutting off all the amps in the 3800 and use it as a pre/pro only, and using something like this:
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33307

Supposedly, by shutting down all the amplifiers in the 3800, you should get cleaner output via the pre/outs.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by curtis; 12-08-2023 at 01:38 PM.
    -curtis