Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the horizon over kill for me?

Default Is the horizon over kill for me?

Hello All

I have found tid bits of this question spread through several conversations but I just want to ask it and not have to dig through random discussions. I currently have S2's L/C/R and a decent enough HSU sub. I have space for the Horizon but is it overkill to do this? Is the Horizon too much speaker for this setup? I won't be getting towers any time in the foreseeable future, may do a EX upgrade.

Default Re: Is the horizon over kill for me?

I'd say it depends a lot on how big your room is, how far away you sit, how loud you like to listen, whether or not you always sit on axis, and whether or not others also listen and sit off-axis.

It's an apartment. Sit about 11ft away. When by myself I'm pretty on axis but I often have people over and they are just sitting everywhere. It's a an apartment/condo so only moderately loud. I'm trying to figure out if the Horizon is a big enough jump in area filling vocals to be worth it in my smaller space. Most of what I watch is streaming. I don't really have many Blu-rays if this matters.

In my opinion, the Horizon is a big jump over the S2 as a center. I used to use an S2 center, moved to the Luna Duo, then to the Horizon RAAL v1 and now Horizon ELX. Each was an improvement in dialog clarity, presentation/immersion, sound..

The Horizon may be a bit overkill for your room/listening habits but it would future proof you (e.g. if you move) and you'd not be wondering What If? Buy once, cry once as they say.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by ilovesound View Post
    Hello All

I have found tid bits of this question spread through several conversations but I just want to ask it and not have to dig through random discussions. I currently have S2's L/C/R and a decent enough HSU sub. I have space for the Horizon but is it overkill to do this? Is the Horizon too much speaker for this setup? I won't be getting towers any time in the foreseeable future, may do a EX upgrade.
    Quick question, is your system mostly used for movies or music?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    In my opinion, the Horizon is a big jump over the S2 as a center. I used to use an S2 center, moved to the Luna Duo, then to the Horizon RAAL v1 and now Horizon ELX. Each was an improvement in dialog clarity, presentation/immersion, sound..

The Horizon may be a bit overkill for your room/listening habits but it would future proof you (e.g. if you move) and you'd not be wondering What If? Buy once, cry once as they say.
    I don't disagree with your future proof statement. I'm not unhappy with what I have but if this really makes movie and TV watching that much more enjoyable it could be worth me saving up to make this the next upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Quick question, is your system mostly used for movies or music?
    Hello, yes. I do listen to music but it's on all the time for TV and movies. This is really the only reason I'm considering making it the next upgrade I save up for. If it really is that much more enjoyable and space filling it could be worth it to me.

Hello, yes. I do listen to music but it's on all the time for TV and movies. This is really the only reason I'm considering making it the next upgrade I save up for. If it really is that much more enjoyable and space filling it could be worth it to me.
    Since you are mostly movies and TV, I do recommend getting the best center possible that is within your budget and that you can fit. The Horizon V2 would be the best choice...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Since you are mostly movies and TV, I do recommend getting the best center possible that is within your budget and that you can fit. The Horizon V2 would be the best choice...
    Well after getting yelled at by my better half about the size of the Horizon I placed my order for a Duo center today. As long as it's a step up from a horizontal S2 I'll be happy. I'm kinda sad though, I purposely picked a set-up so I could possibly buy the Horizon one day and now that I can it's the one and only time I get yelled at, oh well.

Well after getting yelled at by my better half about the size of the Horizon I placed my order for a Duo center today. As long as it's a step up from a horizontal S2 I'll be happy. I'm kinda sad though, I purposely picked a set-up so I could possibly buy the Horizon one day and now that I can it's the one and only time I get yelled at, oh well.
    Have you bought The Horizon V2 yet? I intend to buy it. How do you feel about seeing action movies?