Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Something old is young again, introducing the Sierra-1 V2!!!

Default Re: Something old is young again, introducing the Sierra-1 V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    I have the Sierra 2 EX v2 right now and have no complaints. However, the Sierra 1 v2 has a significantly higher preference score. Does the Sierra 1 v2 sound 'better' than the Sierra 2 EX v2?
    Preference scores are a little weird as a metric—collapsing everything into a single score seems a bit of an oversimplification to me. Not entirely useless, but not really the whole story. The LX has a higher preference score than the EXv2, and I feel like the LX is the better speaker overall so that tracks, but there are still use cases where I think the EXv2 is actually better. So I don't think preference score is a perfect indicator.

There's also an oddity with preference score for the S1v2. Erin's graph says 6.8 but spinorama.org put it at 6.4. Those are both great for a sub-$1000 speaker, but it's enough of a gap that I wonder about it. (For reference, spinorama.org has the LX at 6.8 and the EXv2 at 5.9.)
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

This is awesome, seems like keeps hitting home runs!

Dave, I wonder now with the full Sierra line touched with the Klippel, which do you consider the most easy to listen to speaker, ie long listening hours with variety of all music types? Between the LX, EXV2, 1 V2, and even Duo in the mix? Of course they are all easy to listen to But wonder how you would rank in that case.

Congrats to Dave and Ascend on the release of yet another speaker with excellent measurements at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Congrats on the new speaker. This looks like an excellent starting point for many people. How does the midrange compare to the LX?
    they are very close, I would say the LX is, perhaps, just a small bit cleaner overall. As soon as things here slow down a bit, I will do some more critical A/B listening between the two. With and without high passing both speakers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    I have the Sierra 2 EX v2 right now and have no complaints. However, the Sierra 1 v2 has a significantly higher preference score. Does the Sierra 1 v2 sound 'better' than the Sierra 2 EX v2?
    I think preference scores are a fundamentally good starting point, but I don't personally put that much weight into them. I mean, if you have a speaker with rating of 6 and another rating of 5, I think it would then come down to personal taste. If you are comparing that same speaker rated as a 6 to something that rates a 3 or 4, I would say chances are that you would prefer the higher rated speaker.

I also don't think preference scores hold too well with something like RAAL Ribbons. There is a character to these ribbons with regards to attack and delay that would not be captured in the PS.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I hope everyone had a nice holiday and thanks for all the nice comments. They are always greatly appreciated
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    There's also an oddity with preference score for the S1v2. Erin's graph says 6.8 but spinorama.org put it at 6.4. Those are both great for a sub-$1000 speaker, but it's enough of a gap that I wonder about it. (For reference, spinorama.org has the LX at 6.8 and the EXv2 at 5.9.)
    My calculations also put PS at 6.8 for Sierra-1 V2. I believe there are a few different formulas being used to calculate PS though, I will check with Pierre at spinorama.org
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'm happy to see the Sierra 1s have received their upgrade!

I own and love the 2EXV2. My listening is TV programing (no 5.1 for me, just 2.0!) My music preferences are jazz, big band, Sinatra, many other vocalist, and Classical...all via turntable and CD player. Someday I'll graduate to streaming I do listen to classic rock but the EXV2 is not disappointing at all for my taste.

I suspect my listening preferences place me in a minority and the ratings between these models probably are reflecting most listeners' preferences.

I look at it this way: the EXV2 is fine wine and the LX is high-end craft beer. I love both so I hope no one takes offense! Haha. If I had the cash, I'd own both speakers but my music preferences are best served by the EXV2 .

I'm happy to own these great speakers and am very appreciative of all your innovations over the years Dave. I've owned various Ascends since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    I look at it this way: the EXV2 is fine wine and the LX is high-end craft beer. I love both so I hope no one takes offense! Haha. If I had the cash, I'd own both speakers but my music preferences are best served by the EXV2 .
    I (happily) own both, and I wouldn't describe them that way. They're both excellent, but the LX is something that would be preferred by most (maybe fine wine) and the EXV2 will have its advocates, but fewer of them (maybe high-end rum). You really can't go wrong with either, but the LXs appeal will better suit most people's tastes.

And the new S1 looks like a really amazing wine that's not quite as good as the LX vintage, but less expensive. Really, looks like it's more or less the LX but without the full low end.

Can't wait to hear them to compare for myself!

Dave, what's the status (and price) on S1 to S1V2 upgrade kits?
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Most of the EX v2 out in the wild are via the kit upgrade path imo...most S2 to v1 and later v1 to v2. I reckon since it's release the LX has been the more popular speaker(saleswise)..put in that context but the EXv2...is obviously a nice speaker as well.

And, yes the S1V2 is something I'm seriously considering for surround duties....and moving my inwall to height duty....
    Last edited by billy p; 11-27-2023 at 03:43 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.