Thread: Help Deciding Sierra1 v2 vs CMT-340SE2

Default Help Deciding Sierra1 v2 vs CMT-340SE2

Hi,

I currently have some Polk S55's, S35 in my living room with an SVS SB3000 but I want to change the orientation of the room and put the TV into this built in bookshelf (see picture in link below)

https://share.icloud.com/photos/094c...FpOyCYeFg9Ni2Q

I'm liking what I'm reading about Ascend and am narrowing it down to either the Sierra1 v2 or the CMT-340SE2 and I'm not sure which (although wanting to stay under that $1k price point if possible as I'm also building a 7.3.4 theater in my basement )

- I will be sitting about 11 feet from the speakers
    - I want a 3.1 system, I would pair with a sub like the SB3000
    - Its a 'great room' layout with overall dimensions of 35'x15'x10', with open hallways to other rooms as well
    - I'm about 75% movies, 25% music, which is a blend of many genres. I like it decently loud but still 10-15db below reference usually.
    - I would power it will something like a denon x3600 but could be convinced to add an amp like a BasX A3 perhaps.
    - I do like bass, but also have never really heard a highly sensitive speaker and therefore haven't heard that clarity and dynamic range that comes with them.

Couple questions first:
    - Since I want a 3.1, I do like the low profile dimensions of the Duo V2 for the center, but Im guessing with the ribbon tweeter, that wouldn't match well with either of the Sierra1v2 or the CMT340's right? and I should stick with the matching center (even thought they're a bit taller).
    - You'll see from the pics, I want to actually put these in a book shelf. The L/R in each of the side shelves, TV and center will go where the Banksy is now. The shelves are 17" deep, cabinet is 36" tall. Is that deep enough for the ports to breathe? How negatively do you think that will affect the sound having them in a bookshelf? Is this like ordering a steak well done?
    - Lastly what would you go with or recommend? I'm sure both would be great. I'm leaning towards Sierra1v2, not sure why though. Partially because of the Erins Audio review.

Thank you for letting me post!

Default Re: Help Deciding Sierra1 v2 vs CMT-340SE2

Quote Originally Posted by misterscott View Post
    Hi,

I currently have some Polk S55's, S35 in my living room with an SVS SB3000 but I want to change the orientation of the room and put the TV into this built in bookshelf (see picture in link below)

I'm liking what I'm reading about Ascend and am narrowing it down to either the Sierra1 v2 or the CMT-340SE2 and I'm not sure which (although wanting to stay under that $1k price point if possible as I'm also building a 7.3.4 theater in my basement )

- Its a 'great room' layout with overall dimensions of 35'x15'x10', with open hallways to other rooms as well
    - I'm about 75% movies, 25% music, which is a blend of many genres. I like it decently loud but still 10-15db below reference usually.
    - I would power it will something like a denon x3600 but could be convinced to add an amp like a BasX A3 perhaps.
    - I do like bass, but also have never really heard a highly sensitive speaker and therefore haven't heard that clarity and dynamic range that comes with them.

Couple questions first:
    - Since I want a 3.1, I do like the low profile dimensions of the Duo V2 for the center, but Im guessing with the ribbon tweeter, that wouldn't match well with either of the Sierra1v2 or the CMT340's right? and I should stick with the matching center (even thought they're a bit taller).
    - You'll see from the pics, I want to actually put these in a book shelf. The L/R in each of the side shelves, TV and center will go where the Banksy is now. The shelves are 17" deep, cabinet is 36" tall. Is that deep enough for the ports to breathe? How negatively do you think that will affect the sound having them in a bookshelf? Is this like ordering a steak well done?
    - Lastly what would you go with or recommend? I'm sure both would be great. I'm leaning towards Sierra1v2, not sure why though. Partially because of the Erins Audio review.

If you have enough power, I would go with the Sierra 1, which should be the better overall speaker. The main advantage of the 340 is its higher sensitivity which is a non-issue if you're able to power the Sierra 1's to the volume that you want.

Quote Originally Posted by misterscott View Post
    Hi,

Couple questions first:

I have a few quick but important questions:

This is a large space to fill, do you typically do the majority of your listening at your main listening position at 11 feet back?

What subwoofer will you be using?

Are you able to estimate for me at what your max volume levels might be?

thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I have a few quick but important questions:

This is a large space to fill, do you typically do the majority of your listening at your main listening position at 11 feet back?

What subwoofer will you be using?

Are you able to estimate for me at what your max volume levels might be?

thanks in advance!
    Yes, I'd say majority of listening at the MLP, however about 10% may be further away in kitchen/dining area which is behind the MLP. That would just be for music while cooking/etc.

Sub would be something like the SVS SB3000 or something similarly powered/priced.

Max volume at MLP while watching movies is negative 10-15 below reference depending on source (streaming vs disc) (if reference is at 0db).

Thanks