Thread: LXs in a large room with a tube amp

Default LXs in a large room with a tube amp

Hi-

tl;dr Will LXs work in a large space with only 48wpc from my tube amp?

I have a Primaluna Dialogue Premium integrated running KT150s which should put out something like 48wpc. Moving on from Tekton Lore S due to new size constraints and looking at the Sierra LXs. My listening spot is about 15 feet away from where the speakers will be and it's a large open-concept area. I don't listen at THX reference levels, but occasionally want to rock out. I also have dual 15" subs. Music only, all genres.

Sounds like the LXs want a lot of power. Anyone here in a similar situation? How have LXs worked with tube amps?

PS. I talked to Dina and agree that she is indeed awesome and helpful. She recommended asking here.

Default Re: LXs in a large room with a tube amp

The Ascend website is recommending min of 90 wpc for 15 foot distance. Any way to move your seat closer?

When I first got my LXs, I put them in my main system (run the Towers, there, original model and now ELXv2) for about a week or so. I only sit about 9' from the speakers. Room is essentially a big open concept area, as well. Using a Rogue ST100 (100 wpc in ultralinear mode - what I use, I believe around 60 wpc in triode mode. The Rogue uses 4 KT120 power tubes. No problem driving the LXs to deafening levels.

That said, I think your power estimate for the KT150's are way too low. I couldn't find a spec for them with your Primaluna, but would guess they are more than 100 wpc in ultralinear mode (appears the PL can run in either triode or ultralinear like my Rogue), assuming 4 power tubes which it looks like the PL has. You should ask your dealer (and if not Upscale Audio, you may want to ask them.)
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bluehi View Post
    Hi-

tl;dr Will LXs work in a large space with only 48wpc from my tube amp?

I have a Primaluna Dialogue Premium integrated running KT150s which should put out something like 48wpc. Moving on from Tekton Lore S due to new size constraints and looking at the Sierra LXs. My listening spot is about 15 feet away from where the speakers will be and it's a large open-concept area. I don't listen at THX reference levels, but occasionally want to rock out. I also have dual 15" subs. Music only, all genres.

Sounds like the LXs want a lot of power. Anyone here in a similar situation? How have LXs worked with tube amps?

PS. I talked to Dina and agree that she is indeed awesome and helpful. She recommended asking here.
    It really comes down to how loud you listen at. Our recommended amp ratings are based on reaching peak SPL's of 96dB, which is very loud.

At 15 feet back, and with 50 watts, - with a pair of LX you should be able to reach peak volume levels of ~ 93dB, which for most listeners - is considered quite loud.

That stated, racrawford65 is correct, if you are running KT150's in your amp, you have massive power available to you, much more than 48 watts per channel, likely in the 150 watt range.

You are good to go with the LX and they sound incredible with quality tube amplification.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

If the KT150's are in the 150 wpc mode in ultralinear mode, I'd guess they'd be around 80-90 wpc in triode, so also good to go in that amp mode.

Not just the LX, but the ELXv2 RAAL Towers also sound incredible with quality tube amplification :-)

Hope the OP gets back to Dina to place an order.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

Thanks for the helpful responses. Will order them today!

I hadn’t measured my average listening volume in the past, but did yesterday. For science. Generally around 80-85db. So super optimistic that these are going to be great!

You're welcome.
    80-85 dB is pretty loud, at least for my old ears.
    I'm sure they'll be great.

Oh, I was rocking out. Usually it would be less.

You are in for a real treat with the LX!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com