Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
I haven't yet been able to reproduce Erin's compression measurements. This is his own measurement, not one designed by Klippel and his results don't match those from SEAS. So until I am able to reproduce his results, I can't really say one way or another.

Until his compression measurement is verified and peer reviewed, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. The Titan tweeter is designed for massive power handling. Technically, Erin's "compression" test is displaying variations in frequency response, so I really can't say if that is compression or something entirely different. Proper compression testing relies on the voice coil and former becoming quite hot, and this is not what Erin is doing with these sweeps.

The frequency response changes that Erin's test shows can be caused by a variety of reasons, including the microphone itself (especially when measuring such high volume levels) and even the amplifier being used. Typically, a tweeter will show signs of compression in the lower frequencies well prior to the upper frequencies. Erin's measurement is showing a steady increase in compression at 102dB as frequencies rise, the opposite of what I would expect to see with compression. His results actually look more like an increase in inductance.

Per the standard IEC 268-5 power test, this tweeter is rated for long term power handling of 180 watts, with short term power handling (peaks) of 240 watts. That is massive power handling for any tweeter and the power testing is grueling:

100 hour RMS – 100 hours with continuous signal. (IEC 268-5, cl 18.4 Rated noise test)

Long Term Power Handling – 10 times alternating between signal for one minute and pause
for 2 min. Total test time is 28 min. (IEC 268-5, cl 18.2)

Short Term Power Handling – 60 times alternating between signal for one second and
pause for 1 min. Total test time one hour. (IEC 268-5, cl 18.1)
Thanks for all the data. Yeah compression data has always confused me somewhat,it seems like everyone does it differently,I know when I owned the LX dynamics were one of the reasons I loved them so much. I never felt like they missed anything at louder levels or suffered when pushed hard.