Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Something old is young again, introducing the Sierra-1 V2!!!

Default Re: Something old is young again, introducing the Sierra-1 V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Yes, kit would be identical to current LX upgrade kit, but without the tweeter - since both the LX and Sierra-1 V2 now use the exact same tweeter.
    After watching Erin's review of the Sierra 1 V2,I'm curious if the LX would measure the same in regards to compression in the tweeter's range? Or would it change since the crossovers and mid bass woofer are completely different?

Quote Originally Posted by jambarino View Post
    After watching Erin's review of the Sierra 1 V2,I'm curious if the LX would measure the same in regards to compression in the tweeter's range? Or would it change since the crossovers and mid bass woofer are completely different?
    I haven't yet been able to reproduce Erin's compression measurements. This is his own measurement, not one designed by Klippel and his results don't match those from SEAS. So until I am able to reproduce his results, I can't really say one way or another.

Until his compression measurement is verified and peer reviewed, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. The Titan tweeter is designed for massive power handling. Technically, Erin's "compression" test is displaying variations in frequency response, so I really can't say if that is compression or something entirely different. Proper compression testing relies on the voice coil and former becoming quite hot, and this is not what Erin is doing with these sweeps.

The frequency response changes that Erin's test shows can be caused by a variety of reasons, including the microphone itself (especially when measuring such high volume levels) and even the amplifier being used. Typically, a tweeter will show signs of compression in the lower frequencies well prior to the upper frequencies. Erin's measurement is showing a steady increase in compression at 102dB as frequencies rise, the opposite of what I would expect to see with compression. His results actually look more like an increase in inductance.

Per the standard IEC 268-5 power test, this tweeter is rated for long term power handling of 180 watts, with short term power handling (peaks) of 240 watts. That is massive power handling for any tweeter and the power testing is grueling:

100 hour RMS – 100 hours with continuous signal. (IEC 268-5, cl 18.4 Rated noise test)

Long Term Power Handling – 10 times alternating between signal for one minute and pause
    for 2 min. Total test time is 28 min. (IEC 268-5, cl 18.2)

Short Term Power Handling – 60 times alternating between signal for one second and
    pause for 1 min. Total test time one hour. (IEC 268-5, cl 18.1)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I haven't yet been able to reproduce Erin's compression measurements. This is his own measurement, not one designed by Klippel and his results don't match those from SEAS. So until I am able to reproduce his results, I can't really say one way or another.

Until his compression measurement is verified and peer reviewed, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. The Titan tweeter is designed for massive power handling. Technically, Erin's "compression" test is displaying variations in frequency response, so I really can't say if that is compression or something entirely different. Proper compression testing relies on the voice coil and former becoming quite hot, and this is not what Erin is doing with these sweeps.

The frequency response changes that Erin's test shows can be caused by a variety of reasons, including the microphone itself (especially when measuring such high volume levels) and even the amplifier being used. Typically, a tweeter will show signs of compression in the lower frequencies well prior to the upper frequencies. Erin's measurement is showing a steady increase in compression at 102dB as frequencies rise, the opposite of what I would expect to see with compression. His results actually look more like an increase in inductance.

Per the standard IEC 268-5 power test, this tweeter is rated for long term power handling of 180 watts, with short term power handling (peaks) of 240 watts. That is massive power handling for any tweeter and the power testing is grueling:

100 hour RMS – 100 hours with continuous signal. (IEC 268-5, cl 18.4 Rated noise test)

Long Term Power Handling – 10 times alternating between signal for one minute and pause
    for 2 min. Total test time is 28 min. (IEC 268-5, cl 18.2)

Short Term Power Handling – 60 times alternating between signal for one second and
    pause for 1 min. Total test time one hour. (IEC 268-5, cl 18.1)
    Thanks for all the data. Yeah compression data has always confused me somewhat,it seems like everyone does it differently,I know when I owned the LX dynamics were one of the reasons I loved them so much. I never felt like they missed anything at louder levels or suffered when pushed hard.

Hi David. Just want to say congratulations on the ASR and Erin reviews. I came very close to purchasing the original Sierra-1 speaker around 2006 with shipping to Europe but eventually went for a Tetra 120U speaker which served me well for many years. Still I kept an eye on the AA site and how things were going and have been really impressed with the development of the Sierra LX etc. Perhaps one day I might treat myself to a pair :-). I know from reading your posts in the past just how many hours has gone into the development of the last few speakers you have designed and it is so great to see you getting the recognition for your engineering and design efforts. Regards

Quote Originally Posted by newbie7800 View Post
    Hi David. Just want to say congratulations on the ASR and Erin reviews. I came very close to purchasing the original Sierra-1 speaker around 2006 with shipping to Europe but eventually went for a Tetra 120U speaker which served me well for many years. Still I kept an eye on the AA site and how things were going and have been really impressed with the development of the Sierra LX etc. Perhaps one day I might treat myself to a pair :-). I know from reading your posts in the past just how many hours has gone into the development of the last few speakers you have designed and it is so great to see you getting the recognition for your engineering and design efforts. Regards
    Thank you so much for the nice comments, they are truly appreciated!! Feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like a shipping quote, we are getting better international shipping rates these days than we used to.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'm trying to be patient because I know how busy things always are at Ascend, but I figure it's been more than 4 months since I asked the last time, so here goes: any pricing/ETA on upgrade kits for this?
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    I'm trying to be patient because I know how busy things always are at Ascend, but I figure it's been more than 4 months since I asked the last time, so here goes: any pricing/ETA on upgrade kits for this?
    My sincere apologies. We have very low stock on the Titan tweeters right now and we must prioritize completed speakers over kits. As such, we won't be able to put Sierra-1V2 upgrade kits on the website for at least another few months.

That stated, pricing for each S1V2 upgrade kit = $320 each + shipping. ($640 for a pair).

Each kit includes:

1 Titan tweeter
    1 S1V2 woofer
    1 S1V2 crossover
    and 1 V2 product label

I am willing to accommodate you for (2) S1V2 kits now if you like. Just give us a call and speak with Dina.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

My sincere apologies. We have very low stock on the Titan tweeters right now and we must prioritize completed speakers over kits. As such, we won't be able to put Sierra-1V2 upgrade kits on the website for at least another few months.
    I completely respect that—I didn't realize Titan stock was an issue. It's not like I don't already have four pairs of Sierras in various configurations (listening to my LXs right now, in fact). Mostly this is about me being curious as to how they compare to older V1 (and NrT) and current LXs, not that I actually need new speakers or anything, so not what you'd call a high-priority situation.

I'd much rather you be shipping those out to people who don't already have them—their need far outstrips mine! I'd hate to be the cause of any delay for a new customer.

A few months puts us at, say, late July? That would actually be ideal. And now I know the price, so I can plan ahead. All good!
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    I completely respect that—I didn't realize Titan stock was an issue. It's not like I don't already have four pairs of Sierras in various configurations (listening to my LXs right now, in fact). Mostly this is about me being curious as to how they compare to older V1 (and NrT) and current LXs, not that I actually need new speakers or anything, so not what you'd call a high-priority situation.

I'd much rather you be shipping those out to people who don't already have them—their need far outstrips mine! I'd hate to be the cause of any delay for a new customer.

A few months puts us at, say, late July? That would actually be ideal. And now I know the price, so I can plan ahead. All good!
    Thanks so much for understanding!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I just purchased these speakers and plan on using them with a WiiM amp. I’ll be sitting about 6 feet away and crossing over to subwoofer at 80 HZ. Will the WiiM amp be good enough or do I need a better amp?