Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Something old is young again, introducing the Sierra-1 V2!!!

Default Re: Something old is young again, introducing the Sierra-1 V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbob27 View Post
    I just purchased these speakers and plan on using them with a WiiM amp. I’ll be sitting about 6 feet away and crossing over to subwoofer at 80 HZ. Will the WiiM amp be good enough or do I need a better amp?
    The WiiM amp should be terrific at your listening distance.

Enjoy!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post

Enjoy!!!
    Awesome! Thanks Dave!

I just purchased these speakers and plan on using them with a WiiM amp. I’ll be sitting about 6 feet away and crossing over to subwoofer at 80 HZ. Will the WiiM amp be good enough or do I need a better amp?
    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post

Enjoy!!!
    Awesome! Thanks Dave!
    I currently use the WiiM Amp with a pair of Luna V2's in my bedroom crossed to a sub at 80hz, and it is working fine...I mainly listen about 10' from the speakers. It doesn't get super loud, but it is plenty.

That WiiM Amp is extremely versatile. I mainly use it as a Roon endpoint. I have always wanted a good sounding and simple setup in the bedroom, and this setup fits the bill perfectly. That said, I do plan on getting at WiiM Ultra when it is available and using it with nice amp, and finding another place for the WiiM Amp.
    Last edited by curtis; 04-24-2024 at 09:28 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I currently use the WiiM Amp with a pair of Luna V2's in my bedroom crossed to a sub at 80hz, and it is working fine...I mainly listen about 10' from the speakers. It doesn't get super loud, but it is plenty.

That WiiM Amp is extremely versatile. I mainly use it as a Roon endpoint. I have always wanted a good sounding and simple setup in the bedroom, and this setup fits the bill perfectly. That said, I do plan on getting at WiiM Ultra when it is available and using it with nice amp, and finding another place for the WiiM Amp.
    I was thinking about picking up the WiiM ultra along with a buckeye or audiophonics amp if I need more power. Can’t wait to see what the WiiM ultra ends up being.

I'm a fairly new audiophile (don't even know if I deserve the term yet) who recently decided to upgrade my computer setup from a 5.1 system comprised of very small Klipsch bookshelves driven by an old Yamaha receiver to a decent stereo setup (since I was listening to music all day while I worked in my home office.) So without much cash to spend, I bought a pair of ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2s, purchased an Emotiva BasX A2m to drive them, upgraded by Klipsch sub to an SVS SB-1000 Pro, and got a Tidal subscription to play high-res audio. (Thought about an external DAC but figured my Creative ZxR soundcard with a Burr-Brown was good enough for now.)

It changed my world.

Then I went down a rabbit hole and only a few months later I decided to go out on a limb, spend more money right away, and get a pair of the Sierra-1 v2s. They arrived the other day.

My world has just changed again.

I can't even believe what I'm hearing.

It's incredible to rediscover all my music. After the previous upgrades I had just done (which were so monumental compared to where I was at prior) I really didn't expect to notice as big of a difference with this speaker upgrade. But it's there. I just can't believe there are even MORE hidden elements of familiar tracks I've just never heard. A veil has been lifted. I'm so freakin' happy.

Thanks so much Dave! This is going to bring years of enjoyment to my life.

I can't wait to EQ my output soon to temper some of my room modes and issues in my small-ish office. But so far this is incredible.

If anyone has any suggestions on the following (including Dave), I would love your thoughts:

1) For bass management, my Creative Sound Blaster ZxR allows me to specify a crossover setting on my PC. Thinking with the Sierra-1 v2s this is a great idea not just to dig deeper for those lower registers, but also to alleviate some of the low end on the Sierra's drivers and crisp up the midbass a tad. I think I probably know the answer to this but I'll ask it anyway: any suggestions for a crossover point? (I'm at 80hz currently and assume the answer is "depends". But a rule of thumb for these particular speakers in a nearfield setup of a small office might be a great starting point for me.)

2) Since I'm in a nearfield setup, I'm guessing this Emotiva BasX A2m amp is perfectly fine. But I'm curious if anyone thinks other options will make these Sierra-1s shine substantially more.
    Last edited by jshow; 05-03-2024 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jshow View Post

1) For bass management, my Creative Sound Blaster ZxR allows me specify a crossover setting on my PC. Thinking with the Sierra-1 v2s this is a great idea not just to dig deeper for those lower registers, but also to alleviate some of the low end on the Sierra's drivers and crisp up the midbass a tad. I think I probably know the answer to this but I'll ask it anyway: any suggestions for a crossover point? (I'm at 80hz currently and assume the answer is "depends". But a rule of thumb for these particular speakers in a nearfield setup of a small office might be a great starting point for me.)
    Does the Soundblaster have a seperate subwoofer output? I just looked it up and it doesn't look like it.
    -curtis

Does the Soundblaster have a seperate subwoofer output? I just looked it up and it doesn't look like it.
    It does (hence the bass management feature.) It's just that it's via a 3.5mm stereo out that has both center channel and sub, so I use an adapter to RCA and just plug in the SVS sub via the LFE connection. It's working fine with the 80hz crossover point I have now, and it's easy to turn off/on the bass redirection to hear the difference between letting the Sierra-1s try to do it all, and having the sub kick in. I definitely like these paired with a sub considering some of the music I listen to - it's just wonderful (And this is why I decided on the Sierra-1 v2s vs the LXs) I'm just looking for some thoughts or direction on that crossover point for these specific speakers.

(Once I decide to move to an external DAC I don't know how the heck I'll do bass management, as SVS Subs don't have high pass filters. But I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.)
    Last edited by jshow; 05-02-2024 at 07:55 PM.

It does (hence the bass management feature.) It's just that it's via a 3.5mm stereo out that has both center channel and sub, so I use an adapter to RCA and just plug in the SVS sub via the LFE connection. It's working fine with the 80hz crossover point I have now, and it's easy to turn off/on the bass redirection to hear the difference between letting the Sierra-1s try to do it all, and having the sub kick in. I definitely like these paired with a sub considering some of the music I listen to - it's just wonderful

Once I decide to go external DAC I don't know how the heck I'll do bass management. (SVS Subs don't have high pass filters.)
    We should probably start another thread.
    So if you have a center channel, you can't have a sub?

Are you familiar with MiniDSP's products?
    https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/flex
    -curtis

We should probably start another thread.
    So if you have a center channel, you can't have a sub?

Are you familiar with MiniDSP's products?
    https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/flex
    PMing you on this.

PMing you on this.
    If Curtis isn't able to help you with miniDSP products, I can.

I use a Flex in my HT system, mainly for loading ezBEQ filters and integrating my Crowson tactile devices. I let my AVM90 handle the subs (eq, integration, x-over, etc.)

When I had a separate 2 channel system, I also used a Flex in this system. I ran LR outputs from my processor (Rogue RP5) to the Flex, and then outputs 1 & 2 to amp L&R, output 3 to sub 1, output 4 to sub 2. In the Flex, I did all the bass management & sub integration (along with REW+UMIK1). I also had 4 presets in the Flex, 2.1 with a house curve, 2.1 with bass eq'ed flat, 2.0 with bass EQ'ed, 2.0 w/o EQ. Worked great.

Curtis - I just looked at the manual for his sound card. It looks like the center/sub jack on the card carries both signals and one would use a y-splitter to connect to center & sub jack on receiver. So, can have both AFAIK.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 05-03-2024 at 06:45 AM.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD