Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch
    I know what you mean about trying to decipher all the 'hype' found on all the forums for these subs. I find that SVS is #1 in my books in terms of 'turn-offs' from all the 'owners' who decry all other sub's if it's not an SVS. I'm not saying SVS is a 'bad' sub - I just don't take people who say "SVS rocks and all other subs are crap" very seriously.
    I guess you missed SVS threatening Curtis with legal action over on AVS last week. The threat really blew up on SVS from a PR stand point. Many were shocked at the heavy handed tactics by SVS. Of course if you've been on HTF a while you know that Craigsub deleted his review that was critical of an SVS product last year under pressure from SVS.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...52#post5298152
    Last edited by Quinn; 03-19-2005 at 10:28 AM.

Being unemployed , I spent about four hours on AVS yesterday reading reviews. People on both sides of the fence were voracious and of no help (including anti-SVS protesters). Some threads even degraded into politics battles?! I think the only way I'll find out will be to simply order it. While I have had good luck blind ordering my CBM-170s and Outlaw Pre/Pro, I'm not afraid to ship something back, especially at these prices. You can be sure that I'll post a review ...

(btw., please don't spin this thread out of control! )

Nicholas, I will be very surprised if you are anything but delighted with the SVS PB10-ISD. IMO, in a room the size of yours, it will give you all the output and extension you could possibly want. If you were in a much bigger room, with "mains" capable of higher output (like the CMT-340s), then I might suggest going more "upscale" - but you're not. I think you will find that the PB10 perfectly complements the capabilities of your CBM-170s, and the cabinet finish is virtually identical as well (Dave F. says that both HSU and SVS copied Ascend's standard finish). And I can tell you from personal experience that the bass "quality" is excellent as well - in all respects.

I will not participate in yet another ridiculous SVS vs. HSU verbal bash. Many are annoyed by SVS's "over the top" marketing style but their products speak for themselves. Both companies make excellent subs and provide excellent customer support.

Good luck!

Nicholas, as you have read on all the forums...subwoofers can be an emotional topic. I have been involved in more than enough of them, and I still have buttons that can set me off.

The bottomline is there are differences, and only those that have actually compared subs will understand them.

If you can't compare, it is safe to say that either will make you happy. In that regard, it is a no lose situation. If you want to get what is absolutely the best for you, then you owe it to yourself to try the ones in your list.

As far as all the negativity on the forums, it is my opinion that they are almost useless for a newbie when it comes to subs. You really have to dig to get good information, and sometimes it is better not use the forums at all.

For that infrasonic pipe organ stuff, even that has texture.
    -curtis

Almost forgot...

To make your head spin even more, don't count out subs from Adire and ACI.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I guess you missed SVS threatening Curtis with legal action over on AVS last week. The threat really blew up on SVS from a PR stand point. Many were shocked at the heavy handed tactics by SVS. Of course if you've been on HTF a while you know that Craigsub deleted his review that was critical of an SVS product last year under pressure from SVS.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...52#post5298152
    Yeah - I've been too busy with the Rocket vs. Ascend thread and 6FU going at it with everyone. I guess speakers and subs sure bring out a lot of emotions in people . I liken it to sports discussions "Our team is better than yours".

I hope no one here reading my earlier post thought I was implying that SVS did not make a good a sub (especially the good folk over at SVS). The finish of the PB-10 is very similar to Ascends and would be a very good match cosmetic wise. I guess my big problem is that based on all the reviews for the sub I had real high expectations for the PB-10, and as I mentioned it is not in an ideal room for it's size, and it is mated with Rocket 750's.

I'll have to read this thread and find out what all the fuss is about, thanks!

Listening to subs at hifi stores, I quickly found that subs meeting my expectations were way out of my price range (The Thiel subs were incredible).

The Adire unit doesn't appear to have the capability to hit infrasonics like I'm drooling for. The ACI Force unit looks like another good option, but with shipping it will be even more expensive than the Hsu VTF3-MKII. Given the size of my room, I'm hoping the PB10-ISD with its low distortion numbers and flat anechoic FR will be a diamond in the rough at its $475 (shipped) price tag. At that price, I could also eventually buy two and really smooth out my rooms FR along with a couple EQs (looking down the road).

The whole key will be how my ear feels the sharpness of the response is. I'm going to order one on Monday I think. I'll give a review once I've properly set it up and had time to audition it. I've got some job interviews this week too...

In the very least, you will have fun with it. Looking forward to your thoughts. I was hoping you would get both, hear the differences, and post thoughts....but you need to get that job first.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    In the very least, you will have fun with it. Looking forward to your thoughts. I was hoping you would get both, hear the differences, and post thoughts....but you need to get that job first.
    I figure its worth a shot. I've been really careful about spending my cash on diminishing returns with my audio setup. Unfortunately unlike all the rest of my components, I haven't yet found a bargain on a subwoofer with a sound/feel I like. Everything I heard blind testing at hifi stores that I liked was $1.5k+... , and that was just with movies nevermind what I liked for music.

I did hear a SVS PCi 20-39 which sounded good with DD/DTS tracks, but didn't get the chance to hear it with DVD-A/SACD (which has now become an addiction even though I only own 4 titles ). Aside from my hopes about the PB10-ISD being responsive, I'm guessing that given my room size I will be using a low gain setting. I'm wondering just how fast the lower end rolls off, and how deep this sub will go with a low gain setting. I bounced this question to SVS last Thursday, but haven't received a respose yet.

I crossed my fingers and ordered a PB10-ISD in black this morning.
    I guess at the very least others will get an informal review of it from me...

Hopefully I'll get it by next weekend.