Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Review

Well I must say that I'm sold on DVD-A. Stings's "Brand New Day" is spectacular. While many of his songs use electronic effects, they are mixed well. Panning effects are incredible. I really like how backup chorus drifts in from the surrounds. It feels like you're sitting in the front row rather than the nosebleed section. The mixes for the eagles seem like you're sitting in the hollow of a gentle parabolic shaped stage with a guitar/vocal between each surround/main, and one in front. The drums carry across the front soundstage and you can see Don Henley going from the left side of his set to the right.

I also enjoy how you can hear a hint of the front soundstage in the surrounds. One of my biggest complaints about most DD/DTS mixes is that many voices and effects are isolated in individual channels. This type of mixing degrades the seamless-ness of the soundstage for me. While an effect off to the front left should obviously be emphasized there, you should also hear a bit/hint of it in the surround left and center. Some mixes do this but most don't. Both of these DVD-A titles do this well. My only complaints are in Hotel California where in a few spots you could tell where the song was cut together. I must admit that I love the ambiance of live recordings. You can really tell with these DVD-A titles that you are in a deadened room. I like the openness of stage performances, it seems more earthy and less plastic. I'm eager to try some of the Telarc classical discs recorded in large halls.

Two thumbs up though. Now that I've experienced this, I don't think I will be listening to redbooks any time soon. :T :T

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    You don't have prototypes at home?
    Good luck getting any secrets out of him, I've been trying for well over a year!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
    I'm eager to try some of the Telarc classical discs recorded in large halls.

I just picked up my first Telarc disc - an SACD title. It is the Atlanta Symphony doing Beethoven's 9th. Careful going down this path Nick - especially now that you're unemployed temporarily - as buying these disc's can get quite addicting and expensive

I just ordered three more...

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon SACD
    Telarc Sampler SACD vol. 1
    Telarc Sampler SACD vol. 2

I figured the sampler discs would give me a good idea of what Telarc can do.

Then I'm limiting myself to "The Incredibles" which is coming out tuesday.

If it wasn't for my expensive habits, I would just get a 20hr/wk job making grinders. Unfortunately I have to start interviews this week. I think my freedom will be leashed here pretty soon...

Good call on the Pink Floyd SACD - a great disc, it was made for multi-channel.

I just picked up two more DVD-A's that were on sale tonight at Best Buy - Hotel California and Metallica The Black Album. Listened quickly to both - great discs to be sure!

Nick - let me know what you think of the Telarc samplers, especially if there is any track that really stands out. Been looking for the 1812 overture on Telarc - I've read the Cannons on it is the best Sub woofer test out there. When you get your HSU VTF3 MKII (if that is the route you end up going) and that track is on one of your samplers, make sure you land lord is not anywhere near the house when you try it out

The Hotel California DVD-A is great. My favorite mix was #6 Victim of Love. I plan on getting Metallica's Black Album sometime down the road as well, let me know how it sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch
    I've read the Cannons on it is the best Sub woofer test out there. When you get your HSU VTF3 MKII (if that is the route you end up going) and that track is on one of your samplers, make sure you land lord is not anywhere near the house when you try it out

I can't believe how long Amazon estimates for a delivery. The 21st?!?!

I'm going to start buying at the mall again...

The Hotel California DVD-A is great. My favorite mix was #6 Victim of Love.
    I agree - the guitar mix is sheer joy and it just begs to be cranked right up (maybe one day I'll have the house to myself and I'll be able to do that )

I plan on getting Metallica's Black Album sometime down the road as well, let me know how it sounds.
    Another great mix - Enter Sandman is probably the best (the first track) with lot's of voices coming from the side surrounds. Again, a full disc this time that begs to be cranked, but sounds really good at low volumes too. This disc has a particularly good bass mix in it - you're definitely going to want a sub woofer to get that extra punch this offers!

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    You don't have prototypes at home?
    Quote Originally Posted by ClutchBrake
    Good luck getting any secrets out of him, I've been trying for well over a year!

Prototypes? What prototypes? Anything I have is locked far far away.. in a place safer than Fort Knox
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Prototypes? What prototypes? Anything I have is locked far far away.. in a place safer than Fort Knox
    My place is really secure. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    My place is really secure.