Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Review

I ordered the 36" version of those stands from hififorless and they are heavy and compliment the Ascends aesthetically. I filled them with sand and put some wire ties on them since the provided cable management was weak.

They are a really simple design and work very well.

Nicholas, you need to get your sub for the multi-channel/hi-rez experience your are going to get with those DVD-A's!

Do you have your 6 additional interconnects for multi-channel as well?
    -curtis

I have my six analog interconnects all in place, and ready to go!

Actually hit a roadbump last week on the completion of my Home Theater. I got canned at my job, the first time I've ever been fired. It was certainly a new experience .

I was all set to purchase a sub, but now I'm holding off and being careful with my cash. I've got some resumes out, and some interviews scheduled for next week. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up by the end of next month.

In the mean-time, I'll just "suffer" without the LFE channel...

Wow...sorry to hear about that. Hopefully you'll get another job quickly! Good luck.

In the meantime...I guess you can enjoy your system more.
    -curtis

Yeah hopefully within the next few weeks I'll be back in the grind. For the past week I've just been relaxing, watching movies, jamming to some great tunes, hiking, and getting fat.

Nicholas,

best of luck on your job hunt. i'm sure something will come along.

Thumbs up

Thanks Metalaaron.

Hi Nicholas,

I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your job... Send me an email and let me know if there is anything I can do. I have family out here in SoCal that work in your field (waste management consultant for Hyperion treatment plant in Los Angeles)

I am curious about what you said about the 340 having greater clarity and improved dynamics with less distortion. Would I be right in guessing this is only when playing at high SPLs while pushing the lower end frequencies?
    No, however the audible difference between the two would be more noticeable to a human ear at louder levels. Measurement wise, the difference is noticeable at any volume level.

I noticed the 340s have a slightly higher sensitivity in the specifications listing, while the 170 frequency response graph shows a flatter plot. Am I seeing two different tweeters between the 170 and 340 as well?
    Yes.. the tweeter in the CMT-340 is an improved version of the tweeter in the CBM-170. Higher sensitivity is achieved because the CMT-340 uses two woofers wired in parallel, which will deliver 3dB more output for the same voltage level.

I was also hoping to get an opinion from you about the HSU subs you deal. How do they sound with 2ch music in your experience.
    I LOVE Hsu subwoofers. I have more different brands and models of subwoofers on hand than I do loudspeakers. I choose to use Hsu in my various systems. Dr. Hsu is really a one-of-a-kind engineer.

I'm also curious about what equipment you use for your own personal HT & 2ch listening.
    For 2ch listening, I use a pair of 340 mains on their stands powered by an ADA amplifier and either a Rotel or Marantz processor.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

"For 2ch listening, I use a pair of 340 mains on their stands"

You don't have prototypes at home?

David

Thanks for the kind words Dave. Just scheduled an interview for next week. Hopefully I'll be back in the swing here soon.

Interesting info. Which naturally leads me to ask... will you be incorporating the improved tweeter into a "CBM-170 v.2", or is the newer tweeter designed specifically for the larger 340? I'm curious about how this tweeter sounds in comparison to the ones in my 170s.

I definetly think a Hsu VTF-3 MKII will be my next purchase (sometime next month I hope).

"The Incredibles" is coming to DVD next week! Pixar makes some of the best computer animation films and has great sound mixing. I missed this one in theaters, and can't wait to get it. My DVD-A titles should arrive soon too, I'll be sure to give some words on how they sound once I try them.