Thread: Room mode calculator

Default Room mode calculator

Hi all, I found the Harmon room mode calculator.

https://www.harman.com/documents/Roo...lculator_0.xls

Pretty sweet. It shows exact peaks and nulls my Anthem Arc picks up. Any one more educated on this, based off my screen shot, what would you think would be more ideal sitting position, either before or after the 12 3/4 mark? I'm thinking be to right to keep the 56hz down more, if go left would keep the 83hz down more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AR2ax man; 11-07-2023 at 01:28 PM.

Default Re: Room mode calculator

How far apart are your mains & how far from the wall?
    The "Sweet" spot, at least for stereo, is for your seat to be at the apex (point) of an equilateral triangle
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    How far apart are your mains & how far from the wall?
    The "Sweet" spot, at least for stereo, is for your seat to be at the apex (point) of an equilateral triangle
    Hi,

From woofer center to woofer center they are 7 feet wide. The back of the speaker cabinet is 14 inches from the wall.

Just trying to minimize that 100-110 hz dip, which the calculator shows I have been very close to it sitting wise. I have always had my listening seat at the 38% rule from the back wall due to combo HT/Music room. Thou music trumps HT for my enjoyment. Thus trying to get things dialed ideal as possible before maybe getting a few corner bass traps. I am just getting sick of running arc, thus stumbled on this calculator and just moving in my seat I could see what the excel was showing and do things by ears for music.

I'd probably try closer a bit more since your speakers are relatively close and it moves you closer to an equilateral triangle.

Curious, why only 7' apart when the room is 14' wide?
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

I'd probably try closer a bit more since your speakers are relatively close and it moves you closer to an equilateral triangle.

Unfortunately behind the left speaker is the entry door to the room, otherwise I would go wider As in my last place I did have them wider.

Just playing some music with good kick drum, could definitely feel it more when I leaned more forward! Which the calculator did show 56hz and 83hz going stronger forward of the 12 3/4 mark. I guess math and science does work!

By the way these are NRT towers. Hopefully soon to be ELX Titan

Just did more adjustment after measuring the equilateral triangle and moving the seating forward. Things are much better, thanks for reminding me to check the triangle also, thanks!

No worries. You’ll love the ELX upgrade. I upgraded my V1 RAAL Towers to ELX version earlier this year and really am enjoying all the improvements as documented elsewhere in the forum