Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How far up the chain is worth it in a compromised room?

Default How far up the chain is worth it in a compromised room?

My wife and I recently redesigned our living room. Priority was on design and livability with audio way down the priority list (I care, my wife doesn't at all). The original plan was to wall mount the TV with a media cabinet in the corner for the AVR, PC, etc. Once we saw the furniture in the space, we pivoted to putting the media cabinet centered with the TV on top. PXL_20231013_133122590(1).jpg

Originally we were going to put the left speaker in the cabinet, center under the TV, and right in the bookshelf on the side, but running the wires in an aesthetic way was a no go. As a result, we're now limited to all 3 front speakers within the cabinet. (A BDI Corridor 8177 https://www.bdiusa.com/products/corr...storage-drawer). Similarly, wiring to the surrounds was problematic, so I purchased a DYNASTY WSA-5RP (speaker level wireless transmitter + wireless receiver with 50Wx2 class D amp built in) which can be hidden under the couch with wires just coming up to surrounds on the side tables.

When I set up my existing gear this way I discovered several problems. My L/R Paradim Titans woofer surrounds have given up, as has the driver in my Paradigm PDR12 sub.

Current equipment:
    Denon AVR-S720W (Audyssey MultiEQ) - driving L/C/R
    DYNASTY WSA-5RP - driving surrounds
    Paradigm Atom L/R. (borrowed from my office 2ch system, replacing blown Titans)
    Paradigm CC-170 center
    Paradim ADP70 surrounds (small dipoles)

One of my best friends and longtime fellow audio traveler (we went to the original Head-Fi International Meet together years ago) is a happy Ascend Customer. After reading a bunch of threads here, I'm sold on Ascend as a company. Ascend feels like a spiritual successor to the old Paradigm I loved back in the NRC days before they seemingly lost their way: measurement driven pragmatic bang for the buck speakers.

Given all the compromises in layout, I leaned to the Signature series. However, the CBM-170SE is 9" wide (high in my situation, since all 3 will have to be horizontal), and I only have 8" available. L/R dimension limits: 17.25x8x18.5. C dimension limits: 25.5x8x16 (all inches). With an 8.25in depth limit, I have a full width of 61.5.

If only there was a CBM-170SE2 with the same 7.5" width as the CMT-340SE2, I'd be all set. I guess I could do the 340 center with the HTM200, but having bigger bass drivers in the center than the mains feels all kinds of wrong to me.

Surrounds wise, I may stick with the ADP-70s for a while or upgrade to HTM200s. Historically, I preferred the dipoles given the close position next to the couch, but maybe that's old school.

I started looking at the Sierra line and playing the classic audiophile game of, well if I spend a few hundred more, I can get this, but then a few hundred more again and that etc etc. While I could stretch all the way to 3x 2EXV2 or 2x2EXV2+Duo. I'm guessing it's probably not worth it given the layout compromises. Sub wise, no-sub, replacing the driver in my PDR12, and buying an L12 or LV12M are all potentially on the table. Location would likely be either back left corner, hidden by table and couch with wireless, or front left corner depending on the new furniture plan.

I'm not opposed to upgrading AVR too if more modern room correction is significantly better than the first gen Audyssey I have now.

Hopefully some of you made it through that wall of text and can help me with my analysis paralysis.

TLDR: Limited by WAF and logistics to L/C/R all inside a ~60 inch wide cabinet and wireless surrounds beside a very wide couch on back wall is high end gear even worth it?

ETA: overall room dimensions are roughly 20x20 (not square though). Left side is a sliding glass door that will be covered by drapery. Right side wall is built in bookshelves with an opening to another room in the middle. Front mid-right opening is 2 stairs up to a hallway that opens up to the rest of the downstairs.
    Last edited by zeeke42; 10-17-2023 at 08:26 AM.

Default Re: How far up the chain is worth it in a compromised room?

Despite the limited options on placement for the mains, you may still want to consider the Sierra line (more future proof - what if you move? what if you are able to place the speakers somewhere along the front wall on stands (even close to the sides of the entertainment center)? what if you can place the speakers on top of the entertainment center instead of in it?, what if you can wall mount the speakers to left/right of tv? etc.). No way to run front l/r wires along baseboard (or on top) or under carpet (if carpeted)?

Have you looked at the LX model as opposed to the EX? May work better if placement is in the cabinet. Also, for music with the LX, could likely forego a sub (or two :-) ). Movies might be fine, too, depending on how you watch.

Finally, maybe focus on left / right to get the best within budget and use a phantom center in the meantime?
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

While the room isn't ideal, it's not a complete loss. The biggest problem is the relatively small separation between L and R. That'll put the drivers about five feet apart, which isn't great but it's not the complete end of the world. Like rcrawford said, if you could put stands on either side of the cabinet that would help. But my guess is that you probably can't for WAF reasons. Mostly that will hurt your imaging a little.

So no, not optimal, but I don't think the situation is bad enough that the Sierras aren't a meaningful upgrade. I would get Sierras for L/C/R. The Sierras being 7.5" wide looks like it's almost perfect for the space you have. This is the universe telling you what to do—don't fight it, just go along with it.

I would get the LX, not the EX (or EXV2) here. I own both and for HT I'd get the LX every time. It looks like you'll be sitting with your ears more than a bit higher than the tweeters. The EXs are lovely but they do not match the LXs on vertical dispersion--the EXs really do lose something if you can't be tweeter-level. Also, with the LXs you don't have to turn the tweeters sideways if you use them horizontally.

If Sierras are going to stretch your budget, start with no sub. The LXs are pretty stunning with respect to bass performance for a bookshelf speaker. Add a sub later if you find yourself wanting it for movies, but you really don't need it for music unless you're doing a lot of pipe organ or low synth (e.g., EDM).
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Thank you both for the suggestion of the LX. I foolishly skipped over it, figuring "why would I want a lower model to save only ~10% on cost?". Now that I read a bunch of LX impressions, it sounds pretty perfect for my use case as most of the impressions call out the more room filling sound and lower position sensitivity due to the wide dispersion.

Now I just need to decide if I want to spend the money for the truly high end sierras or just basically modernize what I have with HTM200. If I stay on the cheap side, do you think a 340SE2 center with HTM200 L/R would be better than just three HTM200?

Are you mostly music or movies? If more movies, I'd do the 340SE2 center.

IMO, would definitely need a sub (unless you don't want bass) with the HTM200's. I'm currently using a pair of HTM200 + Luna Duo V2 center at our other house in Rio and, IMO, lacking in the bass department. One of these days, we'll move more stuff down to Brazil (perhaps permanently if my wife could make up her mind - I'd be there in a heartbeat) - so it may just be my LX's or it could be my whole setup :-)

Personally, if it's in budget and don't want to wonder what if?, I'd go for the LX (either 3 across the front or 2 for LR, and add the 3rd later for center). In the long run, it may be better to spend more now than spend twice if/when the upgrade bug bites.

That said, you might want to call Dina/Dave at Ascend and discuss your needs, room, etc. They'll give you the best recommendation for your situation without trying to upsell.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

The compromise issues for aesthetic concerns that will affect the sounds quality are the following:

1. Placing speakers inside of cabinet.
    2. Left and right speakers are too close together.
    3. Seating area is right on back wall.

If aesthetics are the big priority here, then the Sierra line can really help with that.
    Furthermore, they are just better speakers in terms of performance. Outside of that, ask yourself how much you are willing to nudge any of those 3 issues which can affect the sound quality. Now much are you willing to nudge the seat off of the back wall to help with bass and getting you closer to the front speakers to help with left/right separation? Would you be willing to look for an alternative cabinet so that the speakers are not all in there? The Sierra line of speakers are gorgeous, where you might be able to have them help with aesthetic concerns, if they are out of the cabinet in the room. Maybe getting towers in that line would help, as it can be difficult to get good looking speaker stands. Though I'm sure you could fine good looking speaker stands if you are willing to spend the money or even have them custom made. It is really up to you. Any and all of these areas that you are willing to nudge can help.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeke42 View Post
    Thank you both for the suggestion of the LX. I foolishly skipped over it, figuring "why would I want a lower model to save only ~10% on cost?".
    Ahh, the curse of Sierra pricing. The issue is mostly that the RAAL tweeter is just an expensive component. Oddly, the LX is, for most purposes, actually a better speaker than the EXv2. There are some edge cases where the EX is better, but HT is not one of them.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Ahh, the curse of Sierra pricing. The issue is mostly that the RAAL tweeter is just an expensive component. Oddly, the LX is, for most purposes, actually a better speaker than the EXv2. There are some edge cases where the EX is better, but HT is not one of them.
    In the long LX or EX thread a guy discussed how he found the narrow vertical dispersion of the Raal ribbon tweeter to be an asset in Atmos, for home theater use. He talked about how on the Xbox there is a pin you can move around the room and he was able to more precisely locate it having Real ribbon tweeter for the bed layer. He is saying the narrower vertical dispersion of the Raal provides better vertical channel separation and thus more accurate location of objects moving around up there. I can try to look for the post if someone else is interested, so I’m not paraphrasing.

What he said was enough to convince me to upgrade my Sierra 2s I use as mains in my 7.2.4 Atmos setup to EXV2 rather than LX. The upgrade price is similar, but my ceiling height is 7 ft, and I don’t want to mess up the great overhead experience that I have right now. I’ll probably upgrade in the next year, when I get a chance.

To further N Boros' post, as I was considering upgrading my S2s (used as surrounds) to either LX or EXv2, after communication with Dave he recommended the EXv2 upgrade for my situation.

N Boros - curious, what are you using for the ATMOS height speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    To further N Boros' post, as I was considering upgrading my S2s (used as surrounds) to either LX or EXv2, after communication with Dave he recommended the EXv2 upgrade for my situation.

N Boros - curious, what are you using for the ATMOS height speakers?
    I'm using Sonance speakers for in-ceiling overheads. Dave recommended them for people looking for in-ceiling overhead speakers that would nicely match the Ascend speakers in the base layer. He recommended a more expensive model, I just went with the MAG6R that were a budget line speaker from Sonanace. I wouldn't buy them at the list price, as I think that there are many better alternatives for $700 per pair. But, they frequently go on sale for much much less than that, like right now at around $170 a pair. There is even a matching backer box, that I picked up too, which helps reduce transmission of sound into a room above and keeps dirt, dust and other stuff from getting into the speaker.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonance...?skuId=5852330

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonance...?skuId=6290878

I use these speakers at top front and top rear speakers, following Dolby's guidelines with the vertical angles from the main listening position. These speakers sound great. I don't think the MAG8R's are necessary for Atmos, unless you have a huge room with very high ceilings. With a good Atmos mix, like John Wick, they sound phenomenal. The scenes with rain overhead and all around sounds just like being out in the rain. But, more modern mixes also can sound very good through the Atmos upmixer too.

After picking up an inexpensive Dayton audio amp to power my top rears, since my Denon will only power 9 speakers, I have only spent a little under $600 for the speakers, backer boxes and amp together. I couldn't be happier with the results. I think that people that have heard Atmos and said that they didn't think it was worth the money and only a subtle difference in the sound, either have not properly located in-ceiling or on-ceiling speakers, or they haven't heard a good Atmos soundtrack. Maybe they spent too much money on their overhead speakers, in some cases. If I spent $6,000 rather than $600, I'd really hope to hear a transformative experience, which might not be realistic.