Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy a pair of Rythmik L12's?

Default Re: Buy a pair of Rythmik L12's?

larson92,

I have not heard the Rhythmiks so I cannot comment on them. I'm confident that the reviews you cite are accurate. I do have 2 SVS SB-2000 Pros crossed over at 80 hz with my 2EXv2s and they sound fantastic. Having dual subs provides several benefits in terms of room modes, a wider soundstage, etc. while also providing amazing deep bass to complement all sound above the crossover point on the 2EXv2s. In addition, having the SVS app makes it very simple to adjust directly from my listening area without having to constantly fiddle with the settings on the back of each sub. I am just curious to know about your assessment of the SB-1000s and why you are looking for alternatives, especially given the LXs already can provide very good bass, allowing you to use an even lower crossover point.
    Speakers: EXv2 (mains), Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra-1 (surrounds), SVS SB 2000 Pro (x2)
    Source: MacBook Pro with Audirvana Studio
    DAC: Schiit Gugnir
    Preamp: Parasound Halo P6
    Amp: Buckeye 2-Channel Purifi ET400A
    AVR: NAD T-753v3i
    Cables: Blue Jeans XLR

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    If you have two people and an SPL meter, setting phase is easy.

BTW...I think I read the sub is going into a cabinet? What kind of cabinet? It is generally not a good idea.
    I’m building a HT built-in, and the subs will be under the L/R speakers. Size is approx 18w x 17h x 18d. L/R speakers will be just above in a similar “cabinet”/shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by novaduckfan1 View Post
    larson92,

I have not heard the Rhythmiks so I cannot comment on them. I'm confident that the reviews you cite are accurate. I do have 2 SVS SB-2000 Pros crossed over at 80 hz with my 2EXv2s and they sound fantastic. Having dual subs provides several benefits in terms of room modes, a wider soundstage, etc. while also providing amazing deep bass to complement all sound above the crossover point on the 2EXv2s. In addition, having the SVS app makes it very simple to adjust directly from my listening area without having to constantly fiddle with the settings on the back of each sub. I am just curious to know about your assessment of the SB-1000s and why you are looking for alternatives, especially given the LXs already can provide very good bass, allowing you to use an even lower crossover point.
    I think it’s just been seeing how everyone here loves the Rythmik subs. I haven’t even taken the SB-1000 Pro’s out of the box yet (got on their Labor Day special) as I’ve been playing with a borrowed SB-1000 Pro first to see how I like it (and the room is currently in an unfinished basement). So far, it seems okay but often I am not sure it it’s even on (even though I know that it is and can even see the driver moving). Still playing with Audyssey and the setup.

I’m glad to hear that someone loves their SVS subs combined with Ascend speakers. Not sure why the SB-2000 Pro costs so much more than the SB-1000 Pro. Even then, I’ve considered upgrading to the SB-2000 Pro just to be safe, but I think the SB-1000 Pros will be enough. The room is 14x18 with 9ft ceilings, but it’s an open floor plan and so it extends on 3 sides.

Quote Originally Posted by larson92 View Post
    I’m building a HT built-in, and the subs will be under the L/R speakers. Size is approx 18w x 17h x 18d. L/R speakers will be just above in a similar “cabinet”/shelf.
    For the best sub bass in the room, the best location for the sub is usually not the same location as the speakers. That said, aesthetically, I understand people like the symmetrical look. Do your best to make the cabinet as inert as possible...no vibration/resonance. If it vibrates/resonates, everything attached/touching that cabinet will be affected.

The LX's are also capable of causing some bass shaking too.

I run LX's with a Rythmik F15HP, crossed at 60hz. My room is the size of yours, but not open. I've had the F15HP for a while paired with CMT-340SE's, Sierra-1's, Sierra-2's, and now the Sierra-LX's. Other than the LX's, the others were crossed at 80hz.
    -curtis

I think it’s just been seeing how everyone here loves the Rythmik subs. I haven’t even taken the SB-1000 Pro’s out of the box yet (got on their Labor Day special) as I’ve been playing with a borrowed SB-1000 Pro first to see how I like it (and the room is currently in an unfinished basement). So far, it seems okay but often I am not sure it it’s even on (even though I know that it is and can even see the driver moving). Still playing with Audyssey and the setup.

I’m glad to hear that someone loves their SVS subs combined with Ascend speakers. Not sure why the SB-2000 Pro costs so much more than the SB-1000 Pro. Even then, I’ve considered upgrading to the SB-2000 Pro just to be safe, but I think the SB-1000 Pros will be enough. The room is 14x18 with 9ft ceilings, but it’s an open floor plan and so it extends on 3 sides.
    Understood. In my case, the SVS 2000s are worth every penny - amazing. I suggest you try using one of the SVS 1000s you bought along with the loaner, and with the LPF set at 60 Hz to benefit fully from the LXs (probably the best overall Ascend speaker not named ELX). If for some reason it doesn't work out, go for the Rhythmiks. Really I think the hard part is over - you bought Ascend speakers! Go dual and see how that addresses any room issues you might have, with and without Audyssey. Hope this helps!
    Speakers: EXv2 (mains), Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra-1 (surrounds), SVS SB 2000 Pro (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    For the best sub bass in the room, the best location for the sub is usually not the same location as the speakers. That said, aesthetically, I understand people like the symmetrical look. Do your best to make the cabinet as inert as possible...no vibration/resonance. If it vibrates/resonates, everything attached/touching that cabinet will be affected.
    Thanks for the reminder about vibration and resonance. I'm doing my best on this.

Understood. In my case, the SVS 2000s are worth every penny - amazing. I suggest you try using one of the SVS 1000s you bought along with the loaner, and with the LPF set at 60 Hz to benefit fully from the LXs (probably the best overall Ascend speaker not named ELX). If for some reason it doesn't work out, go for the Rhythmiks. Really I think the hard part is over - you bought Ascend speakers! Go dual and see how that addresses any room issues you might have, with and without Audyssey. Hope this helps!
    I tried adding the second SB-1000 Pro subwoofer, and it's crazy how much difference it makes!

Audyssey came up with levels of +6dB for the F/C/R (all LX's) and -8dB/-10dB for the subs, so I think I have some room as far as subwoofer levels go.

It all sounds pretty darn good now, too!

Dual subs (Rythmik F12's) addressed a room issue for my 2EX V2's. I have the 2EX's positioned where they sound the best, but there is a significant dip in frequency response between 50-80hz on their own. I was getting that same dip with a single F12, but adding the 2nd with the ability to locate it in the room where it gave a boost in the 50-80hz range was key. I was then able to correct/EQ the response with the MiniDSP 2x4HD.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I tried adding the second SB-1000 Pro subwoofer, and it's crazy how much difference it makes!

Audyssey came up with levels of +6dB for the F/C/R (all LX's) and -8dB/-10dB for the subs, so I think I have some room as far as subwoofer levels go.

It all sounds pretty darn good now, too!
    Fantastic! Glad that "going dual" appears to have helped your system sound better. At some point we have to stop and enjoy the music, so I hope that you're closer to that point if not already there. Keep us posted as you continue your sonic journey!

IMO, going dual subs, properly placed, should help anyone's system sound better, primarily by evening out bass response.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD