Thread: Sierra 1 amp for nearfield

Default Sierra 1 amp for nearfield

Hi,
    I’m considering buying a Sierra 1. I currently have a Parasound Zamp capable of delivering 45W into 8 ohms. The webpage for the Sierra says you only need 3 Watts within 3 feet. However, this review says you absolutely must have like 100 watts for it to sound good: http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/a...peaker-review/

So what’s the deal? Will my Zamp do the job or do I need something with more juice?

Thanks,
    Eric

Default Re: Sierra 1 amp for nearfield

Your Zamp will be fine for near field.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Default Re: Sierra 1 amp for nearfield

Quote Originally Posted by ericrosenfield View Post
    Hi,
    I’m considering buying a Sierra 1. I currently have a Parasound Zamp capable of delivering 45W into 8 ohms. The webpage for the Sierra says you only need 3 Watts within 3 feet. However, this review says you absolutely must have like 100 watts for it to sound good: http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/a...peaker-review/

So what’s the deal? Will my Zamp do the job or do I need something with more juice?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Hi Eric,

How much power you need is a simple mathematical formula based upon the sensitivity of the speaker, how far back you will be doing your listening, and what volume levels you like to listen at.

How far back will you be sitting from the Sierra-1?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com