Thread: center recommendation

Default center recommendation

I'm currently running a pair of original Sierra-1's with Emotiva subwoofer. I'd like to add a center and rears for HT. I'm thinking to go with CMT-340SE2 pair in the rear. What would you advise for the center, CMT-340SE2 or Sierra-1? (any other advice also welcomed)

Also, am I correct in assuming Ascend has dropped the gorgeous Cherry finish in the Sierra line?

Default Re: center recommendation

Honestly I'd just go Sierra-1s all the way around. If budget is a big concern then I'd get a Sierra-1 center and probably get HTM-200s for surrounds.

As for cherry, you can get the Sierras in Satin Dark Cherry. If, however, you're talking about the old Light Cherry Gloss, then nope, those are long gone. It's a shame, as I have a pair of those and besides being fingerprint magnets, they're gorgeous. I've upgraded them every time possible, S1s to S2s to S2EXs to LXs.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    I'm currently running a pair of original Sierra-1's with Emotiva subwoofer. I'd like to add a center and rears for HT. I'm thinking to go with CMT-340SE2 pair in the rear. What would you advise for the center, CMT-340SE2 or Sierra-1? (any other advice also welcomed)
    I had Sierra-1 as my LCR for several years. Very pleased. Had CBM -170SE for rears and that was a great combination. Direct quote from Dave:

"For nearly a decade, this was our most popular system (Sierra-1 fronts + 170 surrounds)"

https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sh...a-1-s-in-front

Dave also says HTM-200s would work in that same thread.

Hope this helps!
    Speakers: EXv2 (mains), Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra-1 (surrounds), SVS SB 2000 Pro (x2)
    Source: MacBook Pro with Audirvana Studio
    DAC: Schiit Gugnir
    Preamp: Parasound Halo P6
    Amp: Buckeye 2-Channel Purifi ET400A
    AVR: NAD T-753v3i
    Cables: Blue Jeans XLR

If the surrounds would be wall mounted I’d recommend the HTM 200s. If they are not going to be wall mounted then I’d recommend the CBM 170s. Unless one wants to spend the extra money for surrounds in the Sierra line. If if they are very far away then maybe step up to something with more output. I’ve been very happy with the HTM 200s as surrounds in 2 different rooms. One with SE series up front and the other with Sierra series up front. Very good match in either case.

Any comments on DUO V2 LCR center versus Sierra-1 center paired with my Sierra-1 L/R?

Any comments on DUO V2 LCR center versus Sierra-1 center paired with my Sierra-1 L/R?
    Between these two, I would recommend Sierra-1 center.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    If the surrounds would be wall mounted I’d recommend the HTM 200s.
    Can you (or anyone) say more about why HTM-200SE over CBM-170SE for back wall mounted surrounds?
    Is there a wall mount recommended for the HTM-200SE?

Also, for the Sierra-1 center placed beneath the screen, where should the speaker be placed horizontally relative to the center line of the screen? Should I center the tweeter axis or just center the Sierra cabinet as a whole?
    Last edited by BarryG; 07-18-2023 at 06:09 PM.

If wall mounting (e.g. flush or close to flush with the wall), the HTM's, IMO, would be the best choice as they don't have a rear port. With the CBM's, you'd need to space them out from the wall a bit (at least equal to the diameter of the rear port).

As to a wall mount for the HTM's, you could use a picture hanger and picture hanging wire. Wrap the wire around the 2 screws in the threaded inserts and then hang. I had mine mounted this way for some time.

Alternately, you could use something like this. (But I'd try to find one that's rated for more than 10 lbs.)

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Uni...s%2C248&sr=8-6

I use something like in the following link for my HTM200s (as heights in an Atmos center) and my S2 surrounds.

https://www.amazon.com/TNP-Dual-Book...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

As to the S1 as center, I'd center the cabinet on the screen center line. Mainly for aesthetics. I don't think one way would be better than the other from an audibility standpoint.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Can you (or anyone) say more about why HTM-200SE over CBM-170SE for back wall mounted surrounds?
    Is there a wall mount recommended for the HTM-200SE?

Also, for the Sierra-1 center placed beneath the screen, where should the speaker be placed horizontally relative to the center line of the screen? Should I center the tweeter axis or just center the Sierra cabinet as a whole?
    HTM-200SE are simply easier to wall mount (smaller and lighter)

For the Sierra-1 center, it really doesn't matter. With the tweeter only a few inches more to the left or more to the right won't make any audible differences. That stated, I generally recommend centering the cabinet.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Also, am I correct in assuming Ascend has dropped the gorgeous Cherry finish in the Sierra line?
    Satin Dark Cherry is available, and isn't going anywhere. It is our 2nd most popular finish
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com