Thread: [Purchase Advice] 2EX-V2 or LX for small room setup.

Default [Purchase Advice] 2EX-V2 or LX for small room setup.

Hi All, excited to possibly upgrade my speakers after many years with a set of small Q Acoustic bookshelf. I have a dedicated den/home office that is my listening room.

Room is rather small at about 15'W x 10'D x 9'H. Listening position is about center on the long wall, speakers are about 6-7ft from listening position, 12" from front wall, and about 7-8ft apart on 26" stands. No acoustic treatments, but sounds relatively neutral with a sofa, big area rug and some other various furniture. I likely don't plan to run any DIRAC or MiniDSP correction.

100% 2 channel music, 75% streaming audio, 25% vinyl. Currently using an Audiolab 7000A integrated (70Wx2 @8ohms), no sub or plan for one anytime soon.

I listen to mostly jazz, ambient, electronic (mellow techno kinda vibes) and a bit of punk rock. Not too interested in heavy/deep bass response, but do still appreciate a solid, tight and clean lower end.

I don't listen very loud, def more on the quiet end of listening volume, so prioritize a speaker that can extract as much detail, range and soundstage at lower levels rather than something that can rock out when pushed.

From what I have gathered it seems like the 2EX-V2 might be the best fit for my scenario? I assume both the 2EX or LX likely could work fine relatively close to my front wall, and/or can always try the port bungs.

If its helpful of all the other speakers I have trialed I have like the Sonus faber Lumina II and Dynaudio Evoke 10 best so far in my space. KEF LS50 Meta I thought I would love based on reviews, but something about them just sounded dead and didn't do much for me - maybe they need more power than my Audiolab is offering up.

Have only heard amazing things about Ascend so here I am! I am local So Cal so easy enough to try.

Thanks!

Default Re: [Purchase Advice] 2EX-V2 or LX for small room setup.

Based on your post, I’d probably go with the 2EX per your music preference and no need for deep bass. If the bass was a must have, then I’d go with the LX

That said, I’d suggest calling Ascend to get their recommendation. Or, since you are in SoCal, maybe set up a demo at Ascend?
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by mangopolestar View Post
    Hi All, excited to possibly upgrade my speakers after many years with a set of small Q Acoustic bookshelf. I have a dedicated den/home office that is my listening room.

Room is rather small at about 15'W x 10'D x 9'H. Listening position is about center on the long wall, speakers are about 6-7ft from listening position, 12" from front wall, and about 7-8ft apart on 26" stands. No acoustic treatments, but sounds relatively neutral with a sofa, big area rug and some other various furniture. I likely don't plan to run any DIRAC or MiniDSP correction.

100% 2 channel music, 75% streaming audio, 25% vinyl. Currently using an Audiolab 7000A integrated (70Wx2 @8ohms), no sub or plan for one anytime soon.

I listen to mostly jazz, ambient, electronic (mellow techno kinda vibes) and a bit of punk rock. Not too interested in heavy/deep bass response, but do still appreciate a solid, tight and clean lower end.

I don't listen very loud, def more on the quiet end of listening volume, so prioritize a speaker that can extract as much detail, range and soundstage at lower levels rather than something that can rock out when pushed.

From what I have gathered it seems like the 2EX-V2 might be the best fit for my scenario? I assume both the 2EX or LX likely could work fine relatively close to my front wall, and/or can always try the port bungs.

If its helpful of all the other speakers I have trialed I have like the Sonus faber Lumina II and Dynaudio Evoke 10 best so far in my space. KEF LS50 Meta I thought I would love based on reviews, but something about them just sounded dead and didn't do much for me - maybe they need more power than my Audiolab is offering up.

Have only heard amazing things about Ascend so here I am! I am local So Cal so easy enough to try.

Thanks!
    Given your music preferences, which are very similar to mine, I can strongly recommend the 2EXv2. Although I use a sealed sub, I've tried listening to ambient/electronic (as an example) without a sub from about 9 feet away, and they provide a very satisfying level of bass. I also listen to jazz and have the same assessment. From what I've read from Dave and others in this community about the LX, those speakers also would serve you quite well, but actually are designed to be played full range at higher volumes without strain, and are better for rock/metal etc. because they don't require a subwoofer.

Given your music preferences and listening volume, my guess is that you would not use them to their full capacity (but still could enjoy them, of course!). I agree with racrawford65 that the best way to find out is to visit Dave at Ascend for a demo using the kinds of music you prefer (Dave also likes electronic/ambient).
    Speakers: EXv2 (mains), Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra-1 (surrounds), SVS SB 2000 Pro (x2)
    Source: MacBook Pro with Audirvana Studio
    DAC: Schiit Gugnir
    Preamp: Parasound Halo P6
    Amp: Buckeye 2-Channel Purifi ET400A
    AVR: NAD T-753v3i
    Cables: Blue Jeans XLR

The advice so far is good, but I possibly have a different view. Since you do not have a sub, the LX might work well for you. I understand that the RAAL in the EX is better than the Titan for the type of music you listen to, but when I directly compared the EX and LX at Ascend I could not really tell the difference, which I assume is a function of my age. As a guitar player, Dave said he could hear the difference in the tweeters, but I believe he said it was subtle. The other difference in the speakers is how big the LX sounds -- we felt we were listening to towers. There was depth and presence to the LX that I can't really describe. That said, I don't know what the effect would be in your room. Definitely talk to Dave. My guess is he will recommend the EX for you, and I would follow his advice.

First and foremost, since you're in SoCal, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you go visit Ascend and listen for yourself. That's the only way to be absolutely sure, and it's a really fun experience to boot. Dina is just super nice and the room is excellent.

Now, that said, I own both LXs and EXv2s. Frankly, they're both great speakers and the differences aren't that big (especially with the v2 upgrade on the EX). Outside of bass response, depending on the material won't hear much difference most of the time between the two unless you're listening carefully.

That said, I think for your application you'll like the LX a bit better. I'd only recommend the EX over the LX if (1) you're listening to primarily acoustic music (e.g., acoustic guitar, classical—particularly violins and flutes), and (2) you have a sub. Jazz ranges pretty widely in how acoustic vs. electric it is so that't not much help (that is, for jazz it's a tie), but for ambient and electronic I'd recommend the LX and for punk rock it's definitely the LX. You will definitely appreciate the extra bass extension there, even when you're not pushing the speakers. Mids are also slightly fuller on the LX and you want that for the electric guitar crunch.

But seriously, don't take my word for it (or anyone else's, for that matter). Go down to Ascend and give them a listen for yourself.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    First and foremost, since you're in SoCal, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you go visit Ascend and listen for yourself. That's the only way to be absolutely sure, and it's a really fun experience to boot. Dina is just super nice and the room is excellent.

Now, that said, I own both LXs and EXv2s. Frankly, they're both great speakers and the differences aren't that big (especially with the v2 upgrade on the EX). Outside of bass response, depending on the material won't hear much difference most of the time between the two unless you're listening carefully.

That said, I think for your application you'll like the LX a bit better. I'd only recommend the EX over the LX if (1) you're listening to primarily acoustic music (e.g., acoustic guitar, classical—particularly violins and flutes), and (2) you have a sub. Jazz ranges pretty widely in how acoustic vs. electric it is so that't not much help (that is, for jazz it's a tie), but for ambient and electronic I'd recommend the LX and for punk rock it's definitely the LX. You will definitely appreciate the extra bass extension there, even when you're not pushing the speakers. Mids are also slightly fuller on the LX and you want that for the electric guitar crunch.

But seriously, don't take my word for it (or anyone else's, for that matter). Go down to Ascend and give them a listen for yourself.
    Given SunByrne has both speakers, that's definitely a key piece of information to inform you based on your music preferences. Great to have two awesome options! Make sure you try to bring your own music (if feasible, ask Dave/Dina about format or options they support) given your note about "mellow vibes" and the "quiet end" of listening volumes in a small room where you say don't really care about deep bass response.
    Speakers: EXv2 (mains), Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra-1 (surrounds), SVS SB 2000 Pro (x2)
    Source: MacBook Pro with Audirvana Studio
    DAC: Schiit Gugnir
    Preamp: Parasound Halo P6
    Amp: Buckeye 2-Channel Purifi ET400A
    AVR: NAD T-753v3i
    Cables: Blue Jeans XLR

Great insight. Appreciate the advice. Def going to try and find the time to go visit Ascend. I guess the main concern with the LX is with them sounding too "full" or "boomy" in my small room. But given that I do tend to listen at lower levels probably not a concern, and as you mention might even benefit from the extra low end extension in those scenarios.

The room I have my LXs in is small (roughly 9' x 11', but 12' ceilings) and they are definitely not too boomy for the space, even when I listen loud. I do have some acoustic panels in the room in key locations but mostly that's to control slap echo.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by mangopolestar View Post
    Great insight. Appreciate the advice. Def going to try and find the time to go visit Ascend. I guess the main concern with the LX is with them sounding too "full" or "boomy" in my small room. But given that I do tend to listen at lower levels probably not a concern, and as you mention might even benefit from the extra low end extension in those scenarios.
    We are here for you and would be very happy to have you visit for a demo. Please feel free to give us a call to schedule a demo, we are also happy to answer any of your questions and offer recommendations
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dear mangopolestar

I just recently had Ascend upgrade my Sierra-1 to Sierra-2EX-V2. Your situation was/is the same as mine; small space, no sub, type/volume of music. I did not demo the LX or EX (and admittedly I have high end hearing loss) but the soundstage/presence of the 2EX is very noticeable.

What is your opinion of the Audiolab 7000a? That is what I was planning to upgrade to from my old 65W Peachtree class D amp (the older version with the tube). The 7000a has everything I need from a 2-ch integrated but I have never listened with one.
    Joe