Thread: Upgrading CMT 340 SE V1 to Sierra LX?

Default Upgrading CMT 340 SE V1 to Sierra LX?

In my living room I have three CMT 340 SE V1 across the front and some HTM 200 SE's for surrounds. I've had them for a few years and they are great overall, except when I watch TV at night, where the dialog intelligibility a low volume levels is not nearly as great as it is with my Sierra 2s in a different room. Maybe this is an unfair comparison because the Sierra 2 uses better components across the board and a better cabinet. But, also those Sierra 2s are in the family room area of a basement where there are no windows at ear level either, which might help even more with dialog intelligibility.

I'm thinking of selling the CMT 340 SE's, since they are in mint condition and I still have the original boxes and then upgrading to the Sierra LX. Many have said that the LX's are closer to the Sierra 2s as far as low level dialog intelligibility, but the LX's are supposed to be more like a tower in terms of bass extension and output capabilities. My room is roughly 17 ft x 17 ft with a 6 ft x 6 ft opening to a kitchen and dining room and cathedral ceilings that go from 8ft height to 10 ft in the middle of the room. The main listening position is about 10 feet from the main speakers and I don't listen louder than -20 dB. Usually listening at -40 to -30 dB. Would the Sierra LX be a step down in terms of bass output and extension that I have in my CMT 340's? Or would the LX's be quite similar to the 340's in those regards but also be more like the Sierra 2 in terms of midrange clarity and dialog intelligibility (even at lower levels)?
    Last edited by N Boros; 06-22-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Default Re: Upgrading CMT 340 SE V1 to Sierra LX?

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    In my living room I have three CMT 340 SE V1 across the front and some HTM 200 SE's for surrounds. I've had them for a few years and they are great overall, except when I watch TV at night, where the dialog intelligibility a low volume levels is not nearly as great as it is with my Sierra 2s in a different room. Maybe this is an unfair comparison because the Sierra 2 uses better components across the board and a better cabinet. But, also those Sierra 2s are in the family room area of a basement where there are no windows at ear level either, which might help even more with dialog intelligibility.

I'm thinking of selling the CMT 340 SE's, since they are in mint condition and I still have the original boxes and then upgrading to the Sierra LX. Many have said that the LX's are closer to the Sierra 2s as far as low level dialog intelligibility, but the LX's are supposed to be more like a tower in terms of bass extension and output capabilities. My room is roughly 17 ft x 17 ft with a 6 ft x 6 ft opening to a kitchen and dining room and cathedral ceilings that go from 8ft height to 10 ft in the middle of the room. The main listening position is about 10 feet from the main speakers and I don't listen louder than -20 dB. Usually listening at -40 to -30 dB. Would the Sierra LX be a step down in terms of bass output and extension that I have in my CMT 340's? Or would the LX's be quite similar to the 340's in those regards but also be more like the Sierra 2 in terms of midrange clarity and dialog intelligibility (even at lower levels)?
    Actually, the LX would be a very significant upgrade in performance from your CMT-340SE. They do require more power than the 340's to reach the same volume level, but at your listening levels and at your listening distance (and room size) - this is of absolutely no concern.

In addition, the LX actually do a lot better at low volume listening compared to the Sierra-2 and dialog intelligibility (both on-axis and off-axis) is better than the Sierra-2.

The bass response of the LX crushes the 340's and Sierrra-2 and while being quite a bit smaller than CMT-340, the LX actually sounds much larger than the 340's while also presenting a significantly more spacious soundstage.

Huge performance upgrade in every possible performance spec

Hope this helps and please feel free to reach out directly.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I was in the same situation, going from 340-SE v1s to Sierra-LX.

I wrote out a longer response but I must have pressed the wrong button and it disappeared.

But I'll say it's definitely worth the upgrade.

Bass is much better. In my room I get "flat" to 40Hz, -3dB at 35Hz, and drops pretty quickly below that. No port plug, speakers 2 feet from front wall to back of speaker. Even at lower volume levels the bass is very present.

With the 340-SEs and using Audyssey + Dynamic EQ to boost, bass in the same speaker location was good to 60Hz give or take.

Clarity and intelligibility is also much better. I have an LX on its side as my center speaker and dialog is super clear.

I'd say go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Actually, the LX would be a very significant upgrade in performance from your CMT-340SE. They do require more power than the 340's to reach the same volume level, but at your listening levels and at your listening distance (and room size) - this is of absolutely no concern.

In addition, the LX actually do a lot better at low volume listening compared to the Sierra-2 and dialog intelligibility (both on-axis and off-axis) is better than the Sierra-2.

The bass response of the LX crushes the 340's and Sierrra-2 and while being quite a bit smaller than CMT-340, the LX actually sounds much larger than the 340's while also presenting a significantly more spacious soundstage.

Huge performance upgrade in every possible performance spec

Hope this helps and please feel free to reach out directly.
    Thank you. This very helpful.