Thread: Working with(out) my receiver's 100Hz crossover

Default Working with(out) my receiver's 100Hz crossover

I’ll be connecting my new Ascend CBM-170 mains, CBM-170 center, and Hsu STF-2 to a Panasonic SA-XR70 receiver. Unfortunately, the receiver’s lowest crossover setting is 100Hz. Should I use the receiver’s 100Hz crossover setting and the sub-out? Or should I connect the mains through the sub, bypass the receiver's crossover, and set the sub’s crossover to 80Hz? Reading around, the first option seems to be preferred, but I’d appreciate any additional input.

Best regards,
    Matt

I'd let the receiver do the bass management. That way the LFE will be properly routed, and the center, mains and I assume you are using surrounds, will not be sent any low freq's below 100hz.

Unfortunately, some receivers don't go lower than 100hz, but that should still work well enough.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I used XR25 with my CBM-170s for about a month. For me 100Hz crossover was a non-issue since I could not tell the difference. The bass was punchy and dynamic, which was good, but the overall sound was constrained especially at higher volume levels. I switched back my denon receiver and everything came alive! YMMV. It would be interesting to know your impressions with ascend/panny combo.

Ed & Abhi,

Thanks for your suggestions. David Fabrikant from Ascend e-mailed me and agreed with your recommendations. So I'll use the receiver's bass management and set the crossover to 100Hz.

Thanks again,
    Matt

I run an Panasonic SA-XR10 with 170s crossed over at 100Hz and it sounds great even at high volumes.

Honestly, the 100Hz crossover is very similar to the 80Hz crossover and it should work fine.
    Last edited by jermy4; 02-22-2005 at 08:08 PM.

Default Re: Working with(out) my receiver's 100Hz crossover

I'll copy and paste my prior post about the impact of phase and position, but for now, here's a pic of the different measurements:
    Cut down your exam stress by using our latest ccna exam and high quality and testkingmcdst demos. We provide updated questions with principiacollege pass guarantee along with www.hood.edu training.