Thinking of upgrading. Looking for the biggest bang for the buck. The main question I have: is it better to upgrade to the V2 towers (ELX is out of budget so not being considered here) and use the existing electronics, or upgrade to the S-2EX v2s plus upgrade the electronics (to what I have no idea yet, so suggestions welcomed)?

Either way, they will be coupled with a pair of Rythmik LVX-12s, which will be on the side walls (because of somewhat difficult to control room modes, the subs will not be on the same wall as the L/R pair). This sorta negates the improved bottom end of the towers. Which is why I'm asking the question in the first place.

Stated another way: the V2 towers are almost twice as expensive as the S-2EX v2s, $3100 vs. $1648. Is the sound quality twice as good? I'm sure it's overall better, and the dedicated midrange drivers will give a step up the mids. And the bigger ribbons will give a step up to upper mids to highs. But twice as good?

What does the group think?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Room is about 14x21x8 feet, more or less sealed (doors) from rest of house. Main seating is about 10 feet from front speakers, speakers are about 10 feet apart, toed in toward the main listening position.

About 80% HT, 20% music, and the music is pretty much entirely classical (acoustical). The only electric music is a smattering of jazz and blues.

Existing setup is S-2 (not EX) L/R, Duo center, and S-1s at surrounds, driven by an old Denon AVR X-4000. A pair of Rythmik LVX-12s for the bottom end. And again, the subs will always be used (OK, I'll admit I like a little pipe organ and the low end on a piano).

The end result of this upgrade is supposed to be a full Dolby Atmos system (7.2.4). So any new electronics will have to do a good job of decoding a DA stream, supply amps for 11 channels (subs do their own thing), and have at least Audyssey, Dirac Live, etc. for doing the time aligning and EQ work to smooth the response curve(s).

At least some of the music will come from Blu-ray music disks in surround formats, not just stereo on CDs. So the surround sound layout is not just for HT, it's also for some of the music.