Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A new sub question

What I'm talking about is not related to balancing the the speakers as you guys are talking about. I run the sub pretty lean. The changes I notice are more in the mids and highs and is somewhat hard to describe but I'll try: a little less reverberation, vocals are a little less "breathy", soundstaging is diminished.

The real test would be to turn the cross-over on the H/K to its lowest setting and then turn the sub off. I could A/B between no sub/no crossover and no sub with crossover engaged. Haven't had time to play like that lately.

ahhh....OK.

What crossover setting do you use?
    -curtis

Well, after all the talk lately about EQing subs on the various forums, I'm going today to pick up a BFD. It's cheap and it will give me something new to play with for a while. My Yamaha HTR-5790 will do EQing of the main speakers, but I never liked the sound. It reminds me of THX processing with the highs rolled off. Maybe I like a brighter, more forward sound, but the YPAO system that Yamaha uses never did much for me. I do have some nasty humps in my sub response, so I'm hoping I'll get the same "night and day" result that others have with the BFD.
    - EVH III

After calling every place in Birmingham, Alabama, no one has one in stock. I'll have to order one.
    - EVH III

Curtis,

Normally I use 80HZ crossover on the H/K 430. I'm not sure what the lowest crossover is on that. For the purposes of the test I propose it is hopefully be much lower than the 55Hz -3db point of the 340's.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    After calling every place in Birmingham, Alabama, no one has one in stock. I'll have to order one.
    partsexpress has them at a really reasonable price.

This velodyne eq sounds interesting. Anyone got any links to specs/teasers/etc?

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek
    This velodyne eq sounds interesting. Anyone got any links to specs/teasers/etc?

Derek
    There is a thread on it at AVS somewhere. When I get a chance, I will search for it.
    -curtis

Yeah, PE has the BFD for 99 bucks right now. I'll get one from them.
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    Yeah, PE has the BFD for 99 bucks right now. I'll get one from them.
    You'll need two of these too: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-285