Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A new sub question

It is $99 everywhere now. I love partsexpress but their shipping can be ridiculous. If you have a favorite toy store that offers free shipping you can probably save a few bucks.

I don't have the invoice in front of me but the shipping from Parts Express was quite reasonable on the BFD. I like their customer service so I tend to buy from them when I can. Shipping on my sub was only $12.

David

zzounds.com has it for $99 with free shipping.

Finally got around to ordering my BFD yesterday, so it should ship today. I'll post back when I get everything up and running.
    - EVH III

Nothing against BFDs (what's a BFD?) but there hasn't been much response to my original post. Am I out in left field or do I have valid observations? I'm in the process of moving so I haven't done any serious A/Bing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT
    Nothing against BFDs (what's a BFD?) but there hasn't been much response to my original post. Am I out in left field or do I have valid observations? I'm in the process of moving so I haven't done any serious A/Bing yet.
    If I were to guess, your sub was probably boomy because of where it was placed in the room. If you have a SPL meter you should run a FR graph.

Instructions can be found here: http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CraigT
    I have 340 mains with HSU VTF-2 and H/K AVR 430. I listen primarily to 2ch music. I am finding that I prefer listening to 2ch without sub due to a perceived clarity that is not present with sub...which is what DaveF mentions in another thread. I am convinced, however, this is more due to processed vs. unprocessed audio. For the AVR 430 to filter out the bass it digitizes(D/A) the signal and then converts it back to two analog(D/A) signals. Can anyone (hint, DaveF) comment on this?
    What is your crossover setting when using the sub? How did you calibrate your sub? You have a VTF model have you tried the other setting for music?

Quinn,

I run at 80Hz crossover. For calibration I use the MC 900 Foot Jesus method. That is, I put on the most bass heavy music I have and adjust the sub level to where it is not overpowering. I'm guessing from all the talk about balancing with meters and such I'm going to have to invest in one so that it rules out level balancing as a possible culprit. So after I've done that I'll check back in and report my findings. I'm convinced it is related to signal conversion but I have been wrong at least once before

Craig,

Last night I was listening to one of my favorite CDs, something I had not listen to much in a while.

My pre/pro has an auto speaker setup function....sets the levels of the speakers (not EQ)....and I had not listen to the CD since I ran the auto-setup.

Anyways...the bass did not sound good/right....no definition and bloated/boomy. I lowered the sub channel by 1dB......and it sounded great again. I was amazed that 1dB could make that much difference.
    -curtis