Hi folks,

I know this is probably one of those situations where it's all up to me, but I'd like to try for some advice.

My current audio system, if you can call it that, consists of what's left of a 1982 vintage Fisher "50 watt" rack system (integrated amp only remains...hey, I was 12)) and a pair of circa 1989 Boston Acoustic A60's I orginally had installed in the back of my SUV (woofers replaced 2 years ago).

My trusty amp has been through the mill over the years and is, I believe, on its way out. The speakers seem to be going strong with the new woofers.

I really want to update this system. I know that speakers are generally much more important in the equation than a receiver, but man, as you can see I don't have much to work with. As a lowly graduate student, I need to buy piecemeal.

I'm not going to set up a full surround sound system at this time beacause 1) I don't have the funds, and 2) I'm waiting for the upcoming digital audio/video formats to sort themselves out.

That leaves me with the need for a strong receiver (perhaps no more than 2 channel) and a set of main speakers that will impress the hell out of me and integrate into a future HT setup: hello Ascend.

Based on what I've told you, it seems clear to me that no matter how good my new speakers, running them off this crappy old amp would be a joke.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a new digital receiver like the Panasonic SA-XR70 in March, and a couple of 170's or 340's as soon after that as possible.

Any other thoughts, especially regarding the receiver? Even if I replace it in the near future I want it to perform well until that time.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your responses.

Evan