Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Forum Member & Ascend Owner

Oh man, I love it! Makes my old PC setup seem like a HT-in-a-box. There is so much more definition and clarity in the music and soundtracks. I can also easily recognize poor DD5.1 mixing from good mixing.

Using the AVIA Disc, I got all the outputs for my five monitors within 1dB of each other from my sweetspot. Calibrated them to 85dB of output at the -20dB setting on my Outlaw 950. Using the sine wave output tone, I found the Ascends had an audible low frequency extension of 55Hz in my room. Thats pretty good when the reported anechoic response bottoms out at 69Hz.

Even though the Ascends aren't fully broken in yet, I'll give you guys an initial review of how they sound. The mid-bass/midrange is absolutely spectacular! The piano in "Rhapsody In Blue" from Fantasia 2000 sounds near perfect. I hope that tight accuracy doesn't burn off as it breaks in. I love it. The tweeter sounds very neutral as advertised. Combined with the accuracy of the midrange, the speakers sound great. Drums hit without any warmth or fuzzy decay. Can't emphasize enough how clear the midrange is. I think I ultimately prefer the edgy sound of metallic tweeters, but the neutral accuracy of these speakers so far is winning my heart.

I'm not sure how much of what I'm about to say is due to my equipment or the fact that I'm using five identical monitors placed in a semi-circle around me, but the soundstaging gives me a stupid grin. Closing my eyes and listening to Master and Commander in DTS almost made me lose my balance with the sounds of the ocean swelling back and forth. The use of the surrounds in Little Nemo is even further defined to my ears now. I think the AVIA calibration is an absolute must in acheiving a perfect soundstage. The gentle panning of the soundtrack like the sway of the anemone from the front mains to the surrounds and back is spectacular. I never noticed that subtle effect with my old setup.

I'd have to say that of everything I've bought so far, the AVIA/dB Meter combo was the best money I spent. Can't wait to get a sub to integrate with the Ascends. I'll probably be calling SVS in late March/Early April. More to come as the Ascends break in!

I should also note that low frequency response isn't flat, probably due to my room. I think an equalizer between my pre/pro and future sub will be a necessity for good DVD-A and SACD. I can see how a pre/pro like the Anthem AVM30 could make the experience even better.
    Last edited by Nicholas Mosher; 02-23-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Outstanding!!

.....gives me a stupid grin.
    that happens a lot around here.....

It only gets better......and just wait until you get a good sub integrated.

Enjoy!!
    -curtis

I've found that running the center 2dB hot helps with making dialogue more intelligible when listening at volumes below reference. I also prefer the slightly forward nature this gives the center soundstage. Just enough to give the center onscreen action a little emphasis without ruining panorama effects.

I'm burning through my DVD collection re-listening to all my favorite scenes!

This is AWESOME!!! :-y

I'm pleased that the 170's are to your liking. IMHO the 170's really kick a$$.
    Enjoy!!

Randy

"sounds" like you have a nice setup Nick - I just hope when you get that sub you don't pi$$ your landlord off too much

If I were you, I'd make sure to invite him over for movie night once in a while so he doesn't kick you out

In my lengthy review I had to cut out (it was originally over 17,000 characters, but max here on the forum is 10,000) my impressions of Finding Nemo and the swaying of the anemone. I never heard that on my original setup (just the water) and I found it unbelievable. And my setup before this was not exactly chopped liver (in fact, it cost me almost the exact same amount as what the landed cost of the Ascends were - but the Ascends are a huge upgrade to what I had before).

BradJudy had written a review a few years ago and he referenced the movie "A Thin Red Line" that also has some subtle sound effects that many speakers will not pick up. I just picked up that movie tonight and am looking forward to watching it this weekend. It's the little things that I am always impressed with (any speaker can play an obvious sound byte). The only thing I don't like about my speakers, is when watching a movie and my son sneaks out of bed. Sometimes I think it is the noises I hear are coming from the speakers, and the problem is when I go upstairs to check, 9 times out of 10 it is the speakers, but that 10th time

Thin RedLine is a good movie (I own it as well). Many quiet scenes of reflection using gentle sounds from grassy fields, forests, and the sea. Really helps you to recognize the ability of your equipment too when you go from these tranquil scenes to explosions, machine guns, and lots of voices. I'm very pleased with my setup so far.

I just posted my review of the CBM-170s in the review section of the forum. Hopefully the mods will post it for you guys to see.

I've really been giving the HSU VTF-3 MK2 alot of thought. The more reviews I read, the better it looks. I guess the only way to find out how good it sounds will be to test it by purchasing one. Still saving up though.

I'll vouch for the VTF3 Mk II. I'm in the process of building my Ascend/Hsu system. I just completed my 340 LCR front stage and have the VTF3 Mk II. Next step will be the 170 surrounds.

As to the Hsu, it's a great sub. I've played various music and DVD tracks using my 340/VTF3 in a 2.1 setup, and the speed and accuracy of the VTF3 is it's main asset in my book. That and it can play +/- 1db to 20 hz with prodigious output. I'm filling a 15x24 room with a vaulted ceiling, two open stairwells, and a large open door connecting to another 15x20 room. I don't feel I need a second sub at all.
    -Jim