Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Forum Member & Ascend Owner

then I would suggest looking into a nice sealed sub. For $1K, you will find something for sure. I have heard many subs, and I am extremely happy with my VTF-3.
    -curtis

Any suggestions curtis?
    Sealed subs without port tubes have less output right? Does this increase response or something?

Throw me some brands that make sealed subs if you could.

Sure....subs from ACI www.audioc.com, Adire www.adireaudio.com, AV123 www.av123.com.

Does it increase response? I don't think so.....just a different characteristic.

You really need to hear subs to understand their differences...not just ported and sealed, but brands as well.
    -curtis

Default Subwoofers

Thanks for the links curtis. I checked all the links out.

Adire seems to be DIY subs, unless I missed something. Already know about av123 (Rockets). They use 10" woofers which from what I hear don't really dig all that deep. The subs from audioc.com look interesting though. I'm going to check out their reviews.

I'm actually leaning towards the SVS 16-46 PCi. I was considering the PC-Ultra (still am), but I don't think I'll need a 525W amp for my room. The driver in the ultra certainly looks nicer, and the EQ is a nice touch, but I think the PCi series will be borderline overkill in themselves. $675 shipped vs $1200 shipped for the Ultra. I've heard the PCi series as I mentioned above, and it had what I was looking for.

I should get my CBM-170s tomorrow... I Can't Wait!

I recently had the opportunity to listen to a Rocket UFW-10.

Let me tell you, I was impressed with the quality (and quantity) of bass from this little 13" cube! For a sealed 10" sub, the bass is fast and articulate.

it had NO problem with the "Darla" scene from Finding Nemo. It actually made my pants "flap"! Is it the last word in bottom end response? No.

For 90% of movies and music it is all most people would need. I'd trade some extension for the quality of bass this thing produces.

That said, maybe it is the sealed design that delivers the bass quality I seemed to like, and you could certainly find a sealed design that offers lower extension AND higher output......but at what cost?

Two of these would certainly increase the SPL, and av123 offers a twin UFW-10 package.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    That said, maybe it is the sealed design that delivers the bass quality I seemed to like, and you could certainly find a sealed design that offers lower extension AND higher output......but at what cost?

Two of these would certainly increase the SPL, and av123 offers a twin UFW-10 package.
    These from ACI would do it. http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/spea...#acisubwoofers

Two identical subs co-located only raises the output by 6dBs.

The UFW-10 sub is my favorite AV123 product that I've heard.

Nicholas, if you are after sound quality, move up the SVS line to the Pluses and Ultras.

The Adire Rava is not a DIY....their site is weird...you have to hit the home button for their products to show up.
    -curtis

Default Subwoofer

Definetly not looking for huge output, so two subs would be overkill.

While accuracy is my goal (I'm currently judging this by a flat frequency response, and level of distortion when I can find these charts), extension that dips below 20hz for orchestral and pod race type scenes is another consideration.

I do need it to blend well with my Ascends too, don't want any frequency gaps.

Check these out...
    Frequency response for SVS 16-46 PCi
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/images/p...ts/1646pci.jpg
    Frequency response for Adire Rava
    http://www.adireaudio.com/images/RavaFR.jpg
    Both are exponentially compressed.

Just confused I guess. Almost everything I listened to in the hifi stores sounded like, well, crap. I'm real sensitive to boomy-ness, and that warm-fuzzy quality some subs have. I like everything cold and sharp if you can decipher my babble. Not sure how to explain it.
    Last edited by Nicholas Mosher; 02-21-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Default Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 - Initial Impressions

Well for some reason I received one speaker today (WTF?).
    The other four along with my stands should arrive tomorrow. However, this gives me the chance to have a good look at the build quality. Some pictures...

Package was single boxed with foam corner braces. No damage. I was immediately suprised at the density of this little speaker. Cabinet is rock solid, with rounded corners and a textured black laminate of some sort. Binding posts are gold plated and of good quality. The grill is cheap (like most speaker grills I've seen), but I plan on using them without the grills anyways. The 6.5" driver has a very nice rubber surround. Actually quite impressed by it for the money. Phase plug seems to be solid using the finger tap test (can anyone verify this?). Everything is secure, and there is nothing loose internally. Build quality is definetly on par with speakers such as the Studio 20. Definetly not a furniture grade appearence, but I kinda like the simplicity of it. Hopefully I'll have everything hooked up tomorrow for my initial review of how they sound (before they're broken in), the real reason why I bought them...

So far so good though!

Nice to see that Ascend put the new logo precisely where I located them
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables