Thread: New Forum Member & Ascend Owner

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oh man, I love it! Makes my old PC setup seem like a HT-in-a-box. There is so much more definition and clarity in the music and soundtracks. I can also easily recognize poor DD5.1 mixing from good mixing.

Using the AVIA Disc, I got all the outputs for my five monitors within 1dB of each other from my sweetspot. Calibrated them to 85dB of output at the -20dB setting on my Outlaw 950. Using the sine wave output tone, I found the Ascends had an audible low frequency extension of 55Hz in my room. Thats pretty good when the reported anechoic response bottoms out at 69Hz.

Even though the Ascends aren't fully broken in yet, I'll give you guys an initial review of how they sound. The mid-bass/midrange is absolutely spectacular! The piano in "Rhapsody In Blue" from Fantasia 2000 sounds near perfect. I hope that tight accuracy doesn't burn off as it breaks in. I love it. The tweeter sounds very neutral as advertised. Combined with the accuracy of the midrange, the speakers sound great. Drums hit without any warmth or fuzzy decay. Can't emphasize enough how clear the midrange is. I think I ultimately prefer the edgy sound of metallic tweeters, but the neutral accuracy of these speakers so far is winning my heart.

I'm not sure how much of what I'm about to say is due to my equipment or the fact that I'm using five identical monitors placed in a semi-circle around me, but the soundstaging gives me a stupid grin. Closing my eyes and listening to Master and Commander in DTS almost made me lose my balance with the sounds of the ocean swelling back and forth. The use of the surrounds in Little Nemo is even further defined to my ears now. I think the AVIA calibration is an absolute must in acheiving a perfect soundstage. The gentle panning of the soundtrack like the sway of the anemone from the front mains to the surrounds and back is spectacular. I never noticed that subtle effect with my old setup.

I'd have to say that of everything I've bought so far, the AVIA/dB Meter combo was the best money I spent. Can't wait to get a sub to integrate with the Ascends. I'll probably be calling SVS in late March/Early April. More to come as the Ascends break in!

I should also note that low frequency response isn't flat, probably due to my room. I think an equalizer between my pre/pro and future sub will be a necessity for good DVD-A and SACD. I can see how a pre/pro like the Anthem AVM30 could make the experience even better.
    Last edited by Nicholas Mosher; 02-23-2005 at 10:18 PM.