Thread: Just got my Sierra-LX, but a few rough spots in my setup are apparent.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Just got my Sierra-LX, but a few rough spots in my setup are apparent.

Hi gmetro,

The Sierra-LX speakers do not have any "ringing" in any part of their audible frequency range. The only frequency where the tweeter will ring is at its cone breakup mode, which is up at about 27kHz, well out of the range of human hearing.

From your description of what you are hearing, these are standing waves (frequencies that linger). And in a room of your dimensions, standing waves (room modes) are going to be a huge issue.

You can actually calculate these info here:

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l...t=true&r60=0.6

You will see many of the strong modes correspond closely with the EQ you are setting.

Have you tried simply plugging the rear ports of the speaker with the port plugs we include?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Just got my Sierra-LX, but a few rough spots in my setup are apparent.

Hello! Thank you for the response. That link is extremely useful

Since I posted this, I upgraded from the SMSL amp to a Sabaj A30a with significantly more power.
    The majority of the ringing is simply gone - perhaps this was just bad behavior from the SMSL amp that didn't show up otherwise. -my other 6.5s had 95db sensitivity, and I dont think the little ones (88db) were capable of the volumes I was playing.

I've also put them on foam wedges which has helped as well.

I'll poke around the site you linked and see what I can do with room treatment now

Really enjoying these so far!

Quote Originally Posted by gmetro View Post
    Hello! Thank you for the response. That link is extremely useful

Since I posted this, I upgraded from the SMSL amp to a Sabaj A30a with significantly more power.
    The majority of the ringing is simply gone - perhaps this was just bad behavior from the SMSL amp that didn't show up otherwise. -my other 6.5s had 95db sensitivity, and I dont think the little ones (88db) were capable of the volumes I was playing.

I've also put them on foam wedges which has helped as well.

I'll poke around the site you linked and see what I can do with room treatment now

Really enjoying these so far!
    Excellent - happy to hear that you are enjoying them and that you are resolving the issues you were having. The LX do like loads of power
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com