Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5859606162636465 LastLast

Thread: We Saved The Best For Last!

Default Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

Quote Originally Posted by newbo101 View Post
    On cables why do you choose 10awg vs 14, which i often see recommended?
    The simple answer is: it's what Amazon had in stock at the time I purchased. I have not heard that going thicker gauge (10 vs. 14) would present any problems as long as the cable purity and manufacture was good, which BJC's is. The issues I've heard is going the other direction, going with too thin a gauge that might not be able to handle the power being output by the amplifier.

Regardless I don't think there's a substantial savings in going with BJCs 12 or 14 gauge options (I haven't checked, so I could be wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    That said, what do you think is a good ratio it terms of the cost of the speakers vs the cost of electronics (just amplification, pre and power, along with cables between the two and speakers, two-channel)?
    For me it's a bit complicated because the pre/pro varies depending on my 2-channel source (e.g. DAC for the Macbook Pro for lossless and high-res through Apple Music, Turntable to Schiit Mani; CD/SACD player go to an AVR which does other things for my system, etc). So rather than a ratio, here's the ballpark prices of each and you can decide.

Speakers
    ELX+RAAL: $5300

Cables: about $62 a pair (you can do the math, I pay about $50-$70 a pair whether it's XLR cables, speaker cables, RCA cables, all from BJC so I took an average)

My pre-pros: Topping DX5 DAC for streaming $450
    Denon 4500h AVR (again it does multiple things for my system, if it were only a 2 channel music system I wouldn't be using this): $1600

Amp: Buckeye 2ch Purifi $1075 (IMO this is a price to performance champ esp when you consider what "name brand" amp makers are charging) and it comes with the benefit of knowing you're supporting a super small operation (Dylan).

So as you can see, the ELX is by far the single most expensive thing in my signal chain. Even if you factor in the sources (Macbook Pro $1600; turntable $700, Hana MC cartridge $500, Schiit Mani 2 $150, Oppo SACD/DVD-A $500).

I owned an original pair of Sierra Towers back in 2016. After a lot of selling, buying and trading, I realized I probably should have kept those. Just sold my Totem Acoustic Fire V2 monitors and I think I am going to pull the plug on the ELX Towers and pray to God I am done.

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    I owned an original pair of Sierra Towers back in 2016. After a lot of selling, buying and trading, I realized I probably should have kept those. Just sold my Totem Acoustic Fire V2 monitors and I think I am going to pull the plug on the ELX Towers and pray to God I am done.
    I've had almost every version of Sierra and then towers V1 and now ELX Raal. They combine the best elements of everything I've heard and step it up a notch. I think you'll love them. The ELX are a big step up from V1.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by RRT-NPS View Post
    Trust me, you will be done That is exactly what the ELX were designed for, endgame...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Trust me, you will be done That is exactly what the ELX were designed for, endgame...
    That is until you order your second ELX pair

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Hmm...endgame from Dave? I might need to think more about ordering a pair and center.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    LOL!! We are starting your 2nd pair next week. Sorry for the delays, we never anticipated this type of sales volume with the ELX.

You need to come visit us again soon, and with the family please
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I might need to think more about ordering a pair and center.
    I agree, but only if you can fit them. More naturals are arriving next week, you need to see how good the natural horizons look since we changed the grain orientation.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I agree, but only if you can fit them. More naturals are arriving next week, you need to see how good the natural horizons look since we changed the grain orientation.
    I can fit them, but...
    I just got a new pre/pro and I have been thinking about a new 75-77" TV.
    Although I have been thinking about putting speakers in my bedroom, so I could move the LX's there and get ELX's.
    Decisions, decisions...money.
    -curtis