Page 61 of 65 FirstFirst ... 56575859606162636465 LastLast

Thread: We Saved The Best For Last!

Default Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

So,
    I am eagerly awaiting the imminent arrival of the Horizon cabinets so that I can replace the Duo in my main HT setup. I have the V2 towers and have the V2 Horizon on order. I am on the fence on whether to ask to change the order to the ELX version. It’s a significant amount of coin to go that route so I am guessing I am asking how much performance gain would the ELX provide me? Is it worth it if it is paired with the V2 towers? Edit: 95% of its use will be TV/Movies but who am I kidding, I'll probably go with the V2 for now and then think in the future of upgrading as I would have to wait to save the extra coin. Thanks Dave for making the decision on how much money should part my wallet difficult. . .
    Last edited by Mahawkma; 11-26-2023 at 04:47 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    HT Set-up: Anthem MRX-740, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower V2, Luna Duo V2 Center, Luna surrounds, Revel M55XC Heights, Rythmik F12
    Desktop/Gaming Set-up: Pioneer MRX-740 8K, Sierra LX LR, Ascend Luna V2 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 12 heights; Rythmik F12

Quote Originally Posted by Mahawkma View Post
    So,
    I am eagerly awaiting the imminent arrival of the Horizon cabinets so that I can replace the Duo in my main HT setup. I have the V2 towers and have the V2 Horizon on order. I am on the fence on whether to ask to change the order to the ELX version. It’s a significant amount of coin to go that route so I am guessing I am asking how much performance gain would the ELX provide me? Is it worth it if it is paired with the V2 towers? Edit: 95% of its use will be TV/Movies but who am I kidding, I'll probably go with the V2 for now and then think in the future of upgrading as I would have to wait to save the extra coin. Thanks Dave for making the decision on how much money should part my wallet difficult. . .
    The ELX version offers lower distortion in the bass and midrange frequency range, higher power handling / less compression, significantly deeper bass response, more "punch" and impact, and a warmer and lusher midrange.

Since your usage is 95% Movies and TV, and the center is the absolute most important speaker for this type of usage, I do think the extra $$$ is worth the investment.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yeah,

I caved and had Dina upgrade the order to the Titan ELX. Hopefully will have it in time for Christmas.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    HT Set-up: Anthem MRX-740, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower V2, Luna Duo V2 Center, Luna surrounds, Revel M55XC Heights, Rythmik F12
    Desktop/Gaming Set-up: Pioneer MRX-740 8K, Sierra LX LR, Ascend Luna V2 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 12 heights; Rythmik F12

I apologize if this has already been answered; but I'm having a hard time finding the upgrade path for a pair of V1 Horizons w/RAAL in 62 pages. I use a stereo pair of Horizons strictly for music. The horizontal orientation fits where I need them to go. I have no criticism on the sound, though they do throw my amp into self protect mode at extremely loud volumes (my previous amp did the same thing). If relevant, I'm using a McIntosh MA252 (100W into 8Ω, 160 int 4Ω).

What are my options? I'm reasonably competent at disassembly and soldering, less so at woodworking.

The V2 or ELX...upgrade kits are available for horizon or mains. Really depends which path you choose V2 essentially the xover, whereas...ELX also changes the mid and bass units. In your case the ELX is more efficient and the wiser path...if upgrading the V1 RAAL...as Dave alludes to in the above post.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Two options, as I recall, assuming you’ll keep the RAAL
    1. Cross-over only (aka v2)
    2. Cross-over + 2 LX woofers + 1 EX woofer

I think you could also move to the Titan tweeter with either 1 or 2 above, although different x-over

I don’t recall if pricing/ordering info is on the Ascend site. I did option 2 for my Horizon RAAL - at the time the kit was around $1200 +shipping
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Have Horizon RAAL too and have been wanting to upgrade this for a while, but other things came up, so haven't been able to upgrade so far. But curious what people who have upgraded think - how much better is the v2 EX over the original for streamed movie/tv shows (so the compressed audio that comes out of Disney+, Apple TV+, Netflix, etc)? Is this like immediately noticable or more like, it's only apparent in certain scenes/tracks, or maybe not at all cuz the source audio is not great to begin with)?

So I've decided on ELX towers .. now what? Kidding aside, what else do I need to complete my new stereo system from scratch? I know I need amplification and source (considering either NAD integrated amplifier, or separates such as bluesound Node and a power amp). I need cables to connect everything. I've heard about power conditioning - is that important or just a nice to have? Acoustic treatment.. that will come eventually.

What am I missing? What's critical vs. an item to look into later?

Stereo only.
    Like you mentioned, amplification, source(s), cables are critical.

For amplification - either power amp or integrated or receiver with amplification.
    If you go power amp, many don't have volume control so your source(s) would need. Plus side to a receiver is a lot have bass management/room EQ built in which would be good to have if you ever add a subwoofer or two.

For sources, what medium do you listen to?
    For streamers, check out the EverSolo DMPA6. It's a very nice unit albeit a bit more expensive then the Node.
    CD/Bluray player? Turntable?

Yes, you'll need the appropriate cables. IMO, don't need high dollar ones. Look at Blue Jeans Cables for RCA interconnects or Zeskit Maya 8K for HDMI. Both available on Amazon.

IMO, power conditioning is not really necessary unless you live in an area with crappy electrical supply. That said, I'd use surge protection at a minimum.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by newbo101 View Post
    So I've decided on ELX towers .. now what? Kidding aside, what else do I need to complete my new stereo system from scratch? I know I need amplification and source (considering either NAD integrated amplifier, or separates such as bluesound Node and a power amp). I need cables to connect everything. I've heard about power conditioning - is that important or just a nice to have? Acoustic treatment.. that will come eventually.

What am I missing? What's critical vs. an item to look into later?
    What's your desired sources, and signal chain? Mine vary slightly due to the source and pre-amp/DAC step, but always end with the Douk Audio MC-103 Pro XLR switcher to Buckeye Amp Purifi Class D to the ELX. Here are mine:

For Lossless and High Resolution Streaming (via Apple Music subscription, from 16/44.1 to 24/192)
    Chain: Macbook Pro > USB C cable > Topping DX5 DAC > BlueJeansCable (BJC) XLR > Douk Audio MC-103 Pro XLR switcher > BJC XLR cable > Buckeye Amp Purifi 2 channel Class D amp > BJC Ten banana cables > ELXs

For vinyl
    Chain: Turntable with MC cart > Schiit Mani 2 > BJC RCA > Denon 4500 AVR (has to be in here to switch between multiple sources) > BJC custom RCA to XLR cable > Douk XLR input switcher > BJC XLR > Buckeye amp > BJC Banana > ELX

For CD/SACD 2 ch physical media (SACD 5.1, DVD-A 5.1, and Dolby Atmos music is played on a different system):
    Chain: CD/SACD player > BJC RCA cables > Denon 4500 > BJC custom RCA to XLR cable > Douk XLR input switcher > BJC XLR > Buckeye amp > BJC Banana > ELX

I do not have anything other than some decent surge protection, years ago I had a respected (for the time) power conditioner I got used cheap from a fellow home theater enthusiast and couldn't really tell the difference. It's still on the home theater rig, but I didn't bother to buy power conditioning for the 2ch system the ELXs anchor.

I like BJC for well made cables that are reasonably priced. They're more expensive than the cheapest ones you can get on Amazon, but they're not anywhere near the price that boutique cable brands go for.

For acoustic panels I like ATS Acoustic. I ordered a small initial batch from Amazon just to see if I'd like them, and because with Prime it was an easy return if I didn't. Turned out I did like them, and ordered the rest direct from the company because I ordered some custom art designs. Like BJC they're a good combo of solid construction and affordable pricing.

I have nothing but praise for the Buckeye Amps Purifi Class D. I have a 2ch variant powering the stereo rig above, and a 3ch variant powering the front soundstage of the home theater.