Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: We Saved The Best For Last!

Default Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

Most people are watching HT these days through direct streaming (Netflix, HBO Max), and in my experience the quality of the audio stream is not equivalent to a Blu-Ray (not even UHD blu-ray) audio. I was watching some Disney animation flicks with my kids on Disney+, and the quality of the dialogue and songs was greatly diminished on the direct stream. I then had my 4 year old listen to the CD recording of the same Encanto songs and she heard an immediate difference. What clarity! No matter how good your speakers are, garbage in, garbage out. I’m curious what kind of compression the direct streaming services use.

I have two pairs of RAAL towers, and I’m inclined do to a crossover only swap on the HT (because I have two subwoofers) and do a full swap on the second pair (music dedicated) sitting in the living room.
    Last edited by bkdc; 11-29-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Most people are watching HT these days through direct streaming (Netflix, HBO Max), and in my experience the quality of the audio stream is not equivalent to a Blu-Ray (not even UHD blu-ray) audio. I was watching some Disney animation flicks with my kids on Disney+, and the quality of the dialogue and songs was greatly diminished on the direct stream. I then had my 4 year old listen to the CD recording of the same Encanto songs and she heard an immediate difference. What clarity! No matter how good your speakers are, garbage in, garbage out. I’m curious what kind of compression the direct streaming services use.

I have two pairs of RAAL towers, and I’m inclined do to a crossover only swap on the HT (because I have two subwoofers) and do a full swap on the second pair (music dedicated) sitting in the living room.
    What streaming device are you using? I can't say I have found sound quality to be lacking. I have certainly seen video compression issues, but that happens rarely and I have no way of actually comparing. I use a second generation Apple TV 4K. I also have a great 1 gig internet connection.

CD stereo mix vs a multichannel mix is going to be different regardless.

Anyways, this is a discussion for a different thread.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by sonic icons View Post
    Per Dave's comments "these upgrades are time consuming and complicated, and will require soldering" and "it will be necessary to desolder and solder. I think the soldering is the easiest part" I plan to be He Who Leads From Behind and wait for feedback from other upgraders before attempting the Mt Everest of speaker upgrades. Also welcome recommendations for the best model or type of soldering iron for the task, as well any other specialized tool. (I've used "high end" soldering irons at work, with features like a temperature control dial.) Since I'm leaning toward ordering three ELX Ribbon Tower upgrades, I'm sure any tool purchases will be a trivial part of the total cost.
    I've performed the ELX tower upgrade. It's not so bad, as long as you're patient and take your time. Once I had completed the first tower and had the procedure down, the second one took only a little over an hour to swap out.

From a complexity standpoint, there really isn't much difference in the V2 upgrade versus the full ELX upgrade that includes the drivers. In each case, you will need to remove the bass woofers, binding posts, and crossover, as well as desolder / solder the output wires. The main difference is that the midrange driver would stay put with the V2, which isn't a big deal to replace. The decision should really come down to your performance desires and budget.

BTW, this is the soldering iron I used, and it worked fine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Last edited by Mj30250; 11-29-2022 at 04:35 PM.

Mj30250 - thanks for the helpful comments as well as product link. I remember Weller is the top brand of soldering irons, and I see this one has temperature control and a good docking station.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlucci View Post
    As the ultimate option (ELX) replaces 3 of the four drivers in the towers (+ crossover), I am guessing the pricing on the upgrade will be on the steep side. I am very interested in understanding the relative difference in performance between the ultimate option and just the crossover option. I have the towers with RAAL and I also have a pair of the Sierra LX's so I can imagine the towers with the new EX and LX drivers will be unbelievable.
    It ultimately comes down to dynamics, punch, bass extension and power handling. The ELX versions have remarkable dynamics, and near full range bass extension and can handle an insane amount of power. They are the perfect speakers for those who are looking for an endgame product that is ideal for critical music listening AND extremely dynamic home theater for any size room and easily hitting reference levels and beyond.

The differences in dynamics are immediately noticeable. ELX has all of the best attributes of our Sierra-2EX and Sierra-LX, and multiplies that. I would be comfortable putting the ELX up against ANY floorstander and ANY Center out there at basically any price point, including Revel F328BE, TAD Evolution 2, and even Revel C426BE center.

Every component in the ELX is top of the line and custom manufactured for us. And, all this performance in a tower cabinet that is quite a bit smaller than all the others.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Thanks Dave. Guess I may need to get a soldering gun and start practicing😁

Looking forward to the instructions
    The soldering is very easy. Basically just heating up / melting 4 solder pads and then pulling out wires once the solder is melted. Then soldering them back into the new crossover using the opposite procedure (placing the wires into the holes, heating up the solder pads, adding solder, done)

You do not want to use a solder gun for this, a small inexpensive soldering iron works best:

We use this kit on our production line and it has been great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01712N5C4/

And here is a link to high quality solder, although the solder that comes with the above kit is fine for these upgrades:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0149K4JTY/
    Last edited by davef; 11-29-2022 at 06:04 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

When are the final details coming out with the different options and pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by wtrimble View Post
    When are the final details coming out with the different options and pricing?
    We will be releasing small chunks of info every 24-48 hours.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Attached are the upgrade instructions from standard Ribbon Towers to ELX Ribbon Towers

Note, upgrading from standard towers to V2 (crossover change only) is the exact same procedure but rather than installing new woofers, you simply reinstall the same ones you removed.

This upgrade does take time and patience, but it is really not too bad.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

How will these compare for home theater use with the new 340’s? Would they work well together using the 340’s as surrounds?