Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Default Re: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

If it were me, I'd start without the stock stuffing. I believe the rule of thumb is distance from wall at least as far as port diameter. I don't own the 340SEs so can't measure the port.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

I am not well versed on the dispersion pattern a height channel needs, but the 340 is an MTM design, so the vertical and horizontal dispersion patterns are quite different.
    Check with Dave on the best orientation for height use.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by strappo View Post
    So, I am planning something stupid.

Mounting these as Atmos height channels. At this price per box, they absolutely blow Arendal, KEF, all the major players out of the water. Only problem is, 30lbs and mechanics, I got handymen I trust for that.

Only issue is the rear port. These would be as close to on wall as possible, but, with a strong downward angle. So, 3-12" port to wall distance for sure. In this case, assume left and right of the speaker would be bass traps. I am thinking piles of the triangle traps.

My question is, do I leave the rear port, or, do I stuff some old socks in it?
    I don't believe Atmos height channel is full range and if you are using a subwoofer and crossing at 80Hz, than the heights would also be limited to this frequency range (80Hz-20kHz). In this case, there would be no reason to plug the ports on the 340's as the port tune frequency is well below the cutoff frequency (~50Hz).

For wall mounts that can handle the 340SE2 - here is a link to what I recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/B-Tech-BT77-U...dp/B004DCAOHK/

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I am not well versed on the dispersion pattern a height channel needs, but the 340 is an MTM design, so the vertical and horizontal dispersion patterns are quite different.
    Check with Dave on the best orientation for height use.
    Oh I would keep these vertical for sure. Think on-wall heights up near the wall ceiling boundary (at 40deg elevation), vs on-ceiling tops (pointed straight down).

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I don't believe Atmos height channel is full range and if you are using a subwoofer and crossing at 80Hz, than the heights would also be limited to this frequency range (80Hz-20kHz). In this case, there would be no reason to plug the ports on the 340's as the port tune frequency is well below the cutoff frequency (~50Hz).

For wall mounts that can handle the 340SE2 - here is a link to what I recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/B-Tech-BT77-U...dp/B004DCAOHK/

Hope this helps!
    Thanks Dave, that sorts me out. I run Dirac so I can set any xover freq I want per group. I like to use the speaker bass response as much as I can before handing things off to a sub. I’ll try that out. And, I allready own 4x of those mounts when you recommended them for my current 170se heights.

Oh I would keep these vertical for sure. Think on-wall heights up near the wall ceiling boundary (at 40deg elevation), vs on-ceiling tops (pointed straight down).

Thanks Dave, that sorts me out. I run Dirac so I can set any xover freq I want per group. I like to use the speaker bass response as much as I can before handing things off to a sub. I’ll try that out. And, I allready own 4x of those mounts when you recommended them for my current 170se heights.

Perfect!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ahh...got it.

Post pics when you're done!
    -curtis

Looking to purchase a quartet of these for surrounds to my Perlisten S7t/S5m system. Any advice on stands tall enough to raise them above ear height?

Quote Originally Posted by solrage View Post
    Looking to purchase a quartet of these for surrounds to my Perlisten S7t/S5m system. Any advice on stands tall enough to raise them above ear height?
    Do you want to get the entire speaker higher than ear-level or just the tweeter?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Do you want to get the entire speaker higher than ear-level or just the tweeter?
    I think I remember it was recommend the tweeter be 2' above ear level. My MLP is 40" from the ground, so 2' more would be 64".

Quote Originally Posted by solrage View Post
    I think I remember it was recommend the tweeter be 2' above ear level. My MLP is 40" from the ground, so 2' more would be 64".
    The tweeter on the 340SE2 is at 10.5" from the bottom of the speaker. Thus if your ear-height is at 40" and you want the tweeter to be 24" above (honestly, this isn't necessary) - that would mean you will need the tweeter to be at 64.5", which means a stand height of 54". I don't think I have ever seen a stand that high, especially one that can securely support the weight of a 340SE2 positioned that high.

Honestly, as long as the tweeter is near ear-level, you are good to go.

Another option, if you do want to position the speaker this high up, would be to wall mount it.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com