Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

I just upgraded the Sierra 2 EX to the V2 version. The improvements are apparent, not huge, but well worth the cost of $135 per speaker. It's more linear with better in-room response and off-axis behavior. Subjectively, it seems warmer with more spaciousness than the EX, which was already a fine speaker, itself. Having an NFS during the speaker's developmental phase is a game changer for Ascend. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    I just upgraded the Sierra 2 EX to the V2 version. The improvements are apparent, not huge, but well worth the cost of $135 per speaker. It's more linear with better in-room response and off-axis behavior. Subjectively, it seems warmer with more spaciousness than the EX, which was already a fine speaker, itself. Having an NFS during the speaker's developmental phase is a game changer for Ascend. Well done.

Cool... Your subjective impressions mirror my own. Thanks for posting!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I've now done my V2 conversions on a pair of S2EX and a pair of Lunas. Due to the circumstances, I can't add anything significant to what has been said about the audio results, other than that the S2EXV2 do seem a tad warmer.

My question is what to do with the replaced XOs!
    Last edited by jimb; 10-15-2022 at 12:46 PM.

How difficult is it to do one of these upgrades to the 2EX? I’ve never assembled or swapped out parts on a speaker before.

Quote Originally Posted by uniquepicture View Post
    How difficult is it to do one of these upgrades to the 2EX? I’ve never assembled or swapped out parts on a speaker before.
    If you can handle a screwdriver and take your time, than it's not difficult at all. Here is a post with detailed instructions and links to videos http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...ons-with-video!
    Nate

My front 3 are 2ex. I’m curious if it would be worth to upgrade all 3 speakers or if I should just do the front L/R. Seems like it would mostly just benefit music or should I do all 3 for a seamless soundstage?

I received the V2 crossovers Monday, and promptly installed them. It went rather smoothly after reading the included instructions and watching the videos. I would recommend taking your time, and using a Phillips screw driver that fits the screws securely. Dave has recommended this one which works great, especially when working inside the cabinet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I2KTKR8...roduct_details

I also used a garden knelling pad that has a carrying handle cut out that the speaker binding posts fit into rather well, and protected the speaker while working on it.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...e-pads/7005751

Swapping out the crossovers gave me an appreciation of how well built these speakers are. I had seen the pictures of the internals before, but seeing them with my own eyes and holding the components in my hands really impressed me.

I've only a few hours with the new crossover, but I'm already impressed. The new crossovers make the 2EX sound more refined with greater definition. The RAAL and the woofer seem even better integrated than before, the whole presentation more coherent.

Strings seem similar as before, but piano sound has improved greatly. Well recorded vocals are scary good now. Vocals were good before, but now they float in space between the speakers in a manner that reminds me of my old Virgo 2's which were very good at this. Besides the greater definition, tonal balance seems more accurate/pleasing.

I do not find this upgrade subtle at all. I think that it elevates the 2EX from a very good speaker to an excellent speaker.

I'll post an update after the new crossovers have had time to to settle in, but I can tell you already that this upgrade is well worth it.

Thanks for your hard work, Dave! We're all reaping the benefits!

I'd say that's one heck of a first post!

Thanks for a very well thought out and informative review. I find it very helpful as I already did an upgrade from the Sierra 2 to the Sierra 2 EX. While it's hard for me to buy kits for the LX version, the EXV2 upgrade is incredibly affordable and gives these speakers an upgrade of refinement.

Thanks again!

Edit haha. I see that was your 2nd post. Need better glasses
    Last edited by rifmon; 10-26-2022 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    I'd say that's one heck of a first post!

Thanks for a very well thought out and informative review. I find it very helpful as I already did an upgrade from the Sierra 2 to the Sierra 2 EX. While it's hard for me to buy kits for the LX version, the EXV2 upgrade is incredibly affordable and gives these speakers an upgrade of refinement.

Thanks again!
    You're welcome!

I had really meant to post long ago, but the new V2 crossovers forced me into action!

Quote Originally Posted by 33na3rd View Post
    You're welcome!

I had really meant to post long ago, but the new V2 crossovers forced me into action!
    Great review! Really happy you are enjoying them. Upgrading the Lunas to the v2 was probably the biggest change I noticed from all the Ascend speakers I own that have the V2 upgrades. I always enjoyed the Sierra 2 EXs. The V2s definitely sound better than before, but less noticeable for me. Still worth the price. Glad to read other experiences.

I've been playing some various music from The SIDH on mine when testing...Just sound great on the Luna V2s and the Sierra 2 EX V2s. Throw in a sub or two and you've got a techno bagpipe party.
    Last edited by Robert; 10-26-2022 at 06:41 PM.