Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Absolutely enough power for LX or Sierra-2EX V2
    Thanks Dave. Right now I'm leaning towards three LX upgrade kits but I wondered, are there any situations where a 2EX V2 center would be recommended along with LX left and rights? IMG_20221001_160627.jpg
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Thanks Dave. Right now I'm leaning towards three LX upgrade kits but I wondered, are there any situations where a 2EX V2 center would be recommended along with LX left and rights?
    With Dave's post:

It very much depends on listening habits and music genres. The S2EX V2 is the more detailed speaker and is best for acoustic music, jazz, most classical. The LX has way more "slam" and much deeper bass and with enough power, can play much louder without strain. The LX is better for rock, dynamic home theater and is the better choice for those who "listen to everything".
    For the center channel, I would think it if you played multichannel acoustic, jazz, and classical music, then S2EXv2 center would the better choice.
    -curtis

I finished installing the Sierra 2 EX V2 upgrade yesterday. The box and crossovers were well packaged. The V2 NFS optimized labels were missing, but I'll reach out to Dina to get the labels. Since I previously worked on the Luna V2 upgrade, it was actually a much easier process than the Lunas as the cabinet is larger.

Overall, I'd say the Sierra 2 EX V2 is definitely a bit warmer and there was a little bit more of a mid-bass presence. I never considered the Sierra 2 EX overly bright....lively, but not harsh. For my comparison, I switched out my Luna V2 pair for the Sierra 2 EXs, & then the EX V2s for a listening session using a Sonos Amp. The Sierra 2 EX V2 upgrade was subtle, but worth the price of the upgrade. All-in-all, the upgrade took about 1.5hrs on the first speaker and then an hour to perform on the 2nd speaker. It was a straightforward process.

However, for those that prefer to rock out and go loud, the comparisons that people have made between the LX & EX still stand, even with the new EX V2. If you love your existing pair of Sierra 2 EX speakers, the V2 upgrade will make you love them a little bit more. Overall, I'm happy and am looking forward to seeing what sort of upgrades are next.

A suggestion for Dave:

For all speaker upgrades listed on the website, add a download link for the instructions. I used the LX upgrade instructions as an initial reference point. I ordered an adjustable magnetic 8-in-1 Klein Tools stubby screwdriver. It was the perfect tool for the job as I could adjust the height to work around adjacent components when attaching the crossover to the cabinet. Having the instructions available ahead of time is helpful for planning.
    Last edited by Robert; 10-02-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks Robert. Were the EX v2 in their surround locations or were you able to place them as if they were the main speakers? I'm assuming you were feeding them as large mains vs their normal surround signals from your receiver. Room Interactions and speaker placements will have an impact on incremental differences and improvements.

I'm also interested in the directivity and if they give a more spacial feel.

EX crossovers are designed to match with our EX woofers. If your brother has Sierra-2's (not Sierra-2EX), it is best to stick with the original Sierra-2 crossover - which uses a very different woofer.
    That's the case, he has original S2s. Do you sell just the woofers only? Are they available elsewhere?

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    Thanks Robert. Were the EX v2 in their surround locations or were you able to place them as if they were the main speakers? I'm assuming you were feeding them as large mains vs their normal surround signals from your receiver. Room Interactions and speaker placements will have an impact on incremental differences and improvements.

I'm also interested in the directivity and if they give a more spacial feel.
    Correct - when installed on my Sonos Amp, they see the full range with no EQ. I actually did both, installed as surrounds on my main home theater, and also as mains on my Sonos bedroom setup. Times like this make me wish that I could try a pair of the original Sierra 2 EXs with the EX V2s and perform a quick "blind" comparison. I'll save that for the more "die hard" speaker fans out there.

From a horizontal dispersion standpoint, they performed well when I was moving around the room. The main takeaway that I can honestly say is the general performance was a tad "warmer" with a little more "punch". It was more subtle than what I experienced with the Luna to the Luna V2 upgrade. The Sierra 2 EX already measured well before, the V2 has been optimized with Dave's NFS research. They should sound even more transparent and true to the source material.
    Last edited by Robert; 10-03-2022 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    That's the case, he has original S2s. Do you sell just the woofers only? Are they available elsewhere?

Thx!
    The EX woofers are custom made and we own the both the design and tooling. They better not be available anywhere else

You can purchase the EX woofers from us but please note, they are quite expensive. Give us a call and speak with Dina.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    A suggestion for Dave:

For all speaker upgrades listed on the website, add a download link for the instructions. I used the LX upgrade instructions as an initial reference point. I ordered an adjustable magnetic 8-in-1 Klein Tools stubby screwdriver. It was the perfect tool for the job as I could adjust the height to work around adjacent components when attaching the crossover to the cabinet. Having the instructions available ahead of time is helpful for planning.
    Hi Robert,

My sincere apologies. I believe yours were the very first V2 crossovers shipped so things on Dina's end were a bit confusing. All V2 crossovers have been shipping with instructions and V2 labels. Yes, please reach out to Dina so we can send you the V2 labels.

That's funny about the Klein Tools stubby scredwdriver, that is what we use in the shop, ours is the ratcheting model as it makes it even easier.

Here is a link to it:

https://www.amazon.com/Ratcheting-Sc...dp/B01I2KTKR8/
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi Robert,

My sincere apologies. I believe yours were the very first V2 crossovers shipped so things on Dina's end were a bit confusing. All V2 crossovers have been shipping with instructions and V2 labels. Yes, please reach out to Dina so we can send you the V2 labels.

That's funny about the Klein Tools stubby scredwdriver, that is what we use in the shop, ours is the ratcheting model as it makes it even easier.

Here is a link to it:

https://www.amazon.com/Ratcheting-Sc...dp/B01I2KTKR8/
    No problem, I reached out to Dina and she has it covered. I'm looking forward to adding the additional "flair" to the cabinet!

I use the bigger brother ratchet screwdriver from Klein Tools. Great stuff. I'm now all set for any future Ascend upgrades!

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Thanks Dave. Right now I'm leaning towards three LX upgrade kits but I wondered, are there any situations where a 2EX V2 center would be recommended along with LX left and rights? IMG_20221001_160627.jpg
    If you closely examine the measurements, the Sierra-2EX center has slightly wider dispersion along with higher efficiency. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of them in your room and they both match up well with Sierra-LX left/right.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com