Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930 LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    newbo101

What type(s) of music do you listen to? How loud?

If mainly jazz/classical/female vocals, you may prefer the EXV2. Although if you walk around alot (or listen to other types of music), the LX. Unless, of course, you go for the Towers. The LX dig deeper but are slightly less efficient. What are you using for amplification? I assume it will be enough for either bookshelf.

As to subwoofer, I'd try the speakers themselves first for music only before buying a sub or two (Rythmik, hint hint). If you are also doing movies, yes to a sub (or two) for the impact.
    Thanks for the tips very helpful. I like to listen to all types of music, generally I would say low to medium volume, but sometimes loud (I don’t know how to quantify in db). Jazz, rock, pop, acoustics sometimes but I don’t worry too much about perfection since I’m coming from a low base (soundbar).

I haven’t decided on amp yet - any recommendations? I’m doing my research in parallel but want to settle on speakers first then decide amp. I’ve seen good feedback on Arcam, SA30, though not necessarily in the context of these speakers. Also familiarizing with some of the Marantz and Rotel models.

I will use this setup for both stereo music and TV/movies. Might start off without the sub in any case but I’ll likely add one soon if bass feels missing.

Looking for an amplifier only, integrated amp, or an AVR?

Since it's both music and TV/movies, an AVR might be your best bet (or a processor + amplifier, but adds cost). For an AVR, look at Anthem MRXx40 series (good for 2 channel and surround).

No comments on Marantz or Rotel as I've not listened to either recently.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

I was thinking integrated amp. Keep it simple since I’m building a system for the first time. Is the AVR a requirement for TV connectivity? I don’t plan to add other speakers or peripherals any time soon, TV and movies just through streaming so far. So aiming to start with more basic and upgrade over time if I need it.

No, AVR isn't required for TV connectivity as long as the integrated amp has inputs for the tv audio out.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    No, AVR isn't required for TV connectivity as long as the integrated amp has inputs for the tv audio out.
    For a modern TV, it makes it much easier if there is a HDMI ARC (or better, eARC) on the back of the integrated amplifier or preamp. It allows the TV remote to control the volume on your speakers/preamp and visa versa. If you’re running stereo only, there are also simpler options depending on how much power you may need.

Another extremely simplistic set-up if you’re a music streamer and you’re sticking to 2 channels or 2 channels plus subwoofer is something like the WiiM amp. Except the WiiM amp is a little underpowered. ARC or eARC would be much better than the competing inputs (SPDIF, or analog). But this type of device really doesn’t allow for multi-channel upgrading.
    Last edited by bkdc; 01-16-2024 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    For a modern TV, it makes it much easier if there is a HDMI ARC (or better, eARC) on the back of the integrated amplifier or preamp. It allows the TV remote to control the volume on your speakers/preamp and visa versa. If you’re running stereo only, there are also simpler options depending on how much power you may need.

Another extremely simplistic set-up if you’re a music streamer and you’re sticking to 2 channels or 2 channels plus subwoofer is something like the WiiM amp. Except the WiiM amp is a little underpowered. ARC or eARC would be much better than the competing inputs (SPDIF, or analog). But this type of device really doesn’t allow for multi-channel upgrading.
    I think HDMI ARC and eARC are a hit or miss, and can be frustrating. I think and good universal remote is a better option for a lot.

I have a WiiM amp being delivered tomorrow. I am debating on using it in my bedroom or using zone 2 on the pre/pro. The pre/pro will allow me to use room correction, but the WiiM would be so much easier to put together. I got the WiiM because I am assuming it will be Roon Ready in a couple of months. Yes...I am a streamer.
    Last edited by curtis; 01-16-2024 at 05:08 PM.
    -curtis

WiiM amp is such a compelling offering at a fantastic price. Most people won’t need 1/2 the power when listening at modest levels in a small room. I wanted more “headroom” so for me it’s Bluesound Node -> class D Purifi based amplifier (from Buckeye Amp) with miniDSP Flex in between for EQ/DSP.

I pulled the trigger on a KEF LS50 Meta during the holiday sale and *ouch* my ears are fatiguing seriously….. after being pampered by the transparent and very pleasantly detailed Ascend Sierra-2EX (I own 3 pairs now), it was a bit of a shock to have my ears fatiguing from the well reviewed LS50 Metas. Gotta give it more time but if my ears keep telling me no, then it’ll be bye bye to an otherwise beautiful bookshelf.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    WiiM amp is such a compelling offering at a fantastic price. Most people won’t need 1/2 the power when listening at modest levels in a small room. I wanted more “headroom” so for me it’s Bluesound Node -> class D Purifi based amplifier (from Buckeye Amp) with miniDSP Flex in between for EQ/DSP.
    I am using a 5-channel amp from VTV, three channels of Purifi and two with Hypex.
    If I decide to use zone 2, I will get a two-channel class D amp.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I am using a 5-channel amp from VTV, three channels of Purifi and two with Hypex.
    If I decide to use zone 2, I will get a two-channel class D amp.
    Can you tell the difference between the sound from the Purifi and Hypex modules? If so, what are you hearing that's different?

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide on which way to go with a Buckeye Amps three channel. I can't come up with any negatives for either. Both versions are supposed to be scary flat and transparent.

Asked another way, why not five of one or five of the other in your VTV? Why did you make the 3/2 split?
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Can you tell the difference between the sound from the Purifi and Hypex modules? If so, what are you hearing that's different?

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide on which way to go with a Buckeye Amps three channel. I can't come up with any negatives for either. Both versions are supposed to be scary flat and transparent.

Asked another way, why not five of one or five of the other in your VTV? Why did you make the 3/2 split?

They sound exactly the same. Which is transparent. All solid state amplifiers sound the same unless there is intentional distortion (like a tube amp). Purchase should be based merely on specs and cost and your consideration of build quality and additional features in the input board and chassis. The new NcoreX is has a very low idle power use just like the Purifi amps. Benefit of European regulations limiting vampire power waste. The older Ncore modules draw a little more at idle. It’s the golden age of class D. They have reached perfection. Perfect transparency, SNR well beyond anything audible, inaudible or imperceptible distortion with the ability to drive crazy loads (400+ watts at 8ohms, even 900 watts at 2 ohms), 2 ohm stability, in a small portable 5 pound package that won’t break your back. Bruno Putzeys is a genius.
    Last edited by bkdc; 01-16-2024 at 07:11 PM.