Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hifihedgehog View Post
    A question to @davef, as well as others here with experience with both. I am looking to delve into high-end speakers for the first time and have all the underpinnings in place. My listening comes from headphones and earphones with big models like the Sennheiser HD 800 and Elysian Annihilator. My listening preferences do cover all genres of music, as well as home theater and video games. That said, I enjoy detail, clarity, crispness, and so forth and lean that way preferentially despite my wide repertoire. I just ordered the LX but am having second thoughts if I might not prefer the 2EX V2. I understand the LX is more visceral with more bass heft and slightly more midrange emphasis but wonder if I might be wanting for detail. Would I prefer the 2EX V2?
    As someone who owns both, no, I don't think you're missing out by getting the LX. In general, I think the LX is the better speaker. But that's in general—there are some things that the EXv2 does better, but it doesn't do them all that much better, and the LX does more things better. I would recommend the LX over the EXv2 for most things, but there are fairly narrow edge cases where I'd go the other way.

Your case does not sound like one of those edge cases. If you listen to a wide variety of music genres and are doing HT, I think the LX is the clear choice there.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Hello and Merry Christmas.

I was wondering if anyone could advise what screws are used to hold in the crossovers? I just got around to installing mine and 3/4 of the screws were unfortunately stripped giving me a difficult time getting them out. So I would like to replace them.

Thank you

as I recall, they are just wood screws. I'd suggest either taking one to a hardware store tomorrow and matching it up. Depending on how they are stripped (head? threads?), you may want slightly thicker screws or, alternately, slightly offset the x-over from where it was when you reinstall.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    as I recall, they are just wood screws. I'd suggest either taking one to a hardware store tomorrow and matching it up. Depending on how they are stripped (head? threads?), you may want slightly thicker screws or, alternately, slightly offset the x-over from where it was when you reinstall.
    Head was stripped. Awful time getting some of them out. I'll just try to match them up at the hardware store then. They're definitely not wood screws though, as they screw into an insert at the bottom of the speakers.

Thank you though.

You are welcome. I don’t recall inserts in my S2 cabinets when I did the upgrade to EXv2 earlier this year. As I rememberr, the screws were similar/same as the ones in my Towers when I did that upgrade
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

It might be that the screw types vary based on whether your cabinet is domestic or non-domestic. I first did my own upgrade a few years back from Sierra 2's to the EX version. My cabinets are domestic cabinets. When I took out the crossovers the screws were wood screws, not machine screws. My cabinets did not have threaded inserts. When I put the new crossovers in, I noticed that one screw appeared to be stripped. It was not the head of the screw, it was the engagement of the threads to the hole in the cabinet. All the other screws tightened down fine. Fast forward... when I upgraded to the EXV2, I just sent them in so that any issues would be resolved with that one screw. It turned out, a stripped screw was not detected! I'm guessing the environment or temperature or humidity levels might have allowed for a loose fit at one point in time but not at another, later point. (or it was user error?)

Anyway, I am happy I was able to have a tech at Ascend do the work this time and I got a Frequency Response report as an unexpected bonus!

But yeah, small changes of the screw types may be due to the type of cabinets you have.

my cabinets are domestic, as well...so perhaps that explains the difference in screws.

I also had one that seemed loose when I went to reassemble. I put a bit of putty into the original hole and then re-tightened the screw.

Quote Originally Posted by oarz View Post
    Head was stripped. Awful time getting some of them out. I'll just try to match them up at the hardware store then. They're definitely not wood screws though, as they screw into an insert at the bottom of the speakers.

Thank you though.
    I had a similar & diifficult issue with stripped head...once both boards were removed...i opted to use new wood screws and re-align the xovers slightly, so not to use exisiting holes. When the times comes for the V3 version it will be a breeze....because I used square head .75" # 8 ...no slipping and dead straight into cabinet.
    Fwiw...my towers are 12+yrs old...idk for sure but very likely domensic...lol.

20230319_154611_copy_403x302.jpg
    Last edited by billy p; 12-26-2023 at 09:31 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by oarz View Post
    Hello and Merry Christmas.

I was wondering if anyone could advise what screws are used to hold in the crossovers? I just got around to installing mine and 3/4 of the screws were unfortunately stripped giving me a difficult time getting them out. So I would like to replace them.

Thank you
    For domestic cabinets, they used 1/2" self-tapping wood screws. For our cabinets manufactured overseas, they use size M4 x 16mm machine screws.

Hope this helps!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    For domestic cabinets, they used 1/2" self-tapping wood screws. For our cabinets manufactured overseas, they use size M4 x 16mm machine screws.

Hope this helps!!
    Exactly what I needed, thanks Dave appreciate it.

Hope everyone has a happy New Year as well.