Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Cool Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Placed my order for S2 to S2EXv2 upgrade kits today.
    Placed my order also.
    Sierra 2EX
    SVS SB12-NSD
    Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amp, Audiolab 6000CDT Transport
    Chord Qutest DAC, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Sonos Port, MacBook to USB

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alkilpatrick1 View Post
    Placed my order also.
    Cool. See you are up near Dallas/Plano. I'm down in Houston.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Cool. See you are up near Dallas/Plano. I'm down in Houston.
    Yes, we are part time between our primary home in Texas and our home in Florida. Since I ordered the ELX towers I plan to relocate the Sierra 2EX V2's to Florida. You had mentioned a farm in Brazil?
    Sierra 2EX
    SVS SB12-NSD
    Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amp, Audiolab 6000CDT Transport
    Chord Qutest DAC, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Sonos Port, MacBook to USB

Yes, we own about 12 acres in Brazil, outside of Rio de Janeiro towards Marica. Buzios is about a 3 hour drive. My system on the farm is simple at the moment- Anthem MRX720, HTM200’s as mains, Luna Duo v2 center. One of these days will probably bring my LX’s down.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Originally started with five Sierra 2's in a 5.1 home theater setup. I thought they were pretty good, but I would have been happy to have something more immersive and room filling. I know this is a lot to ask from a bookshelf speaker, but towers were not an option for me. I did the 2 to 2EX upgrade, which I felt was a noticeable improvement, especially in the bass performance. After the break-in period, I was very happy with the speakers and was mesmerized by how good movie music sounded. I was skeptical about the V2 upgrade, because the speakers were already pretty darn beautiful.

The upgrade instructions were clear, complete and easy to follow. Part of the secret is to take your time and to be deliberate at each step. My only goof was to wire up the woofer on one of the speakers, before installing the gasket. Easily addressed.

The results? There is absolutely no question the sound stage is fuller in the 2EX V2. I also feel the center speaker dialogue is somewhat clearer. While I appreciate a bang-up car chase as much as the next guy, I really love what these speakers do to the high-definition music tracks in movies. Was the V2 upgrade worth it? For me it was. I feel these superb speakers are delivering what I originally hoped for in a home theater audio experience and without reservation I can recommend the Sierra 2EX V2 speakers. Well done Dave & Co.!

Quote Originally Posted by loafer View Post
    Originally started with five Sierra 2's in a 5.1 home theater setup. I thought they were pretty good, but I would have been happy to have something more immersive and room filling. I know this is a lot to ask from a bookshelf speaker, but towers were not an option for me. I did the 2 to 2EX upgrade, which I felt was a noticeable improvement, especially in the bass performance. After the break-in period, I was very happy with the speakers and was mesmerized by how good movie music sounded. I was skeptical about the V2 upgrade, because the speakers were already pretty darn beautiful.

The upgrade instructions were clear, complete and easy to follow. Part of the secret is to take your time and to be deliberate at each step. My only goof was to wire up the woofer on one of the speakers, before installing the gasket. Easily addressed.

The results? There is absolutely no question the sound stage is fuller in the 2EX V2. I also feel the center speaker dialogue is somewhat clearer. While I appreciate a bang-up car chase as much as the next guy, I really love what these speakers do to the high-definition music tracks in movies. Was the V2 upgrade worth it? For me it was. I feel these superb speakers are delivering what I originally hoped for in a home theater audio experience and without reservation I can recommend the Sierra 2EX V2 speakers. Well done Dave & Co.!
    Excellent, glad to read that the upgrade went well!!!

Thank you!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

A question to @davef, as well as others here with experience with both. I am looking to delve into high-end speakers for the first time and have all the underpinnings in place. My listening comes from headphones and earphones with big models like the Sennheiser HD 800 and Elysian Annihilator. My listening preferences do cover all genres of music, as well as home theater and video games. That said, I enjoy detail, clarity, crispness, and so forth and lean that way preferentially despite my wide repertoire. I just ordered the LX but am having second thoughts if I might not prefer the 2EX V2. I understand the LX is more visceral with more bass heft and slightly more midrange emphasis but wonder if I might be wanting for detail. Would I prefer the 2EX V2?

Quote Originally Posted by Hifihedgehog View Post
    A question to @davef, as well as others here with experience with both. I am looking to delve into high-end speakers for the first time and have all the underpinnings in place. My listening comes from headphones and earphones with big models like the Sennheiser HD 800 and Elysian Annihilator. My listening preferences do cover all genres of music, as well as home theater and video games. That said, I enjoy detail, clarity, crispness, and so forth and lean that way preferentially despite my wide repertoire. I just ordered the LX but am having second thoughts if I might not prefer the 2EX V2. I understand the LX is more visceral with more bass heft and slightly more midrange emphasis but wonder if I might be wanting for detail. Would I prefer the 2EX V2?
    I've owned the 2EX V1 and the LX and both are very detailed and open sounding. The Raal ribbons have a slight advantage with detail but the LX sound huge and much better with rock music. I'd suggest the LX if you enjoy listening to everything. If you want acoustic guitar and solo violin to have a tiny bit more detail, than go with the 2EX V2. If you want the best of everything, get the ELX towers.
    Nate

My background is also originally from the headphone side (primary rig is HeadRoom Micro DAC, DIY AMB M^3 amp, HD600). I haven't heard the 2EXV2, but there's no shortage of detail in the LX that I have. Also the bass extension and midbass punch of the LX really leans in to where speakers are better than headphones for me. You just never fully get that impact from headphones where you feel the kick drum and the room around it. The LX has that in spades. The other big LX advantage people have mentioned is vertical dispersion. The RAAL tweeters in the 2EX have fantastic horizontal dispersion, but vertical is limited. If you aren't always right with ears at tweeter height, this can be a big advantage of the LX.

I have listened to both at Ascend. Your age might make a difference. At 62 I could not really hear the better detail of the RAAL. It may not merely be a matter of hearing, though. As a guitar player Dave heard the difference in the plucking of guitar strings. The LX is simply a bigger sounding speaker, as if you have a tower in the room. Jazz is my main music, but the LX made more sense for me.