Thread: Will the Luna V2 work well for my setup?

Default Will the Luna V2 work well for my setup?

I'm about to order the Luna V2 Mini-Monitors for my desktop setup (largely based on this Audioholics article), but I wanted to check if you all think they will work well for my situation.

I'm pairing them with a Monoprice amp (tube pre-amp, class A/B amplifier) and an old RBH RS1010i sub.

They will be on the corners of my desk, about 4' from my chair.

The amp doesn't have any crossover controls, so I'd be running the speakers full-range. If that's an issue, I assume I could buy some sort of DAC/pre-amp to set the crossover and then feed line-level outputs to the sub and amp separately. I'm not sure where I'd look for such a thing.

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Will the Luna V2 work well for my setup?

I don't see why the Luna's wouldn't work for that.

If you feel you need to add something for cross-over, look at miniDSP (either the 2x4 HD or the Flex) or dSpeaker (I think the Antimode 2.0 Dual Core or perhaps the new X2). Both devices work really well - I use the Flex in my HT system and a dSpeaker 8033S-ii in my prechannel (the 8033 only does subs, though).
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

+1 on the setup. I think that would work well. I use a bedroom setup with just a pair of Luna V2s running full range without a sub using the Sonos Amp. The room is fairly small and they perform really well, even at louder volumes. They are a bit light on bass, but since you've paired it with a subwoofer, it should sound great. I was really impressed with the Lunas after upgrading them to the V2 version. Extremely clean & clear performance from these small speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    +1 on the setup. I think that would work well. I use a bedroom setup with just a pair of Luna V2s running full range without a sub using the Sonos Amp. The room is fairly small and they perform really well, even at louder volumes. They are a bit light on bass, but since you've paired it with a subwoofer, it should sound great. I was really impressed with the Lunas after upgrading them to the V2 version. Extremely clean & clear performance from these small speakers.
    100% agree! I use a pair of Luna V2 for my desktop setup with no sub. I have the bass at +3 on my receiver and the overall performance is fantastic. The speakers can easily handle full range signals.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ordered! Thanks for the advice. I’ll post pictures once they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by cliff_is View Post
    Ordered! Thanks for the advice. I’ll post pictures once they arrive.
    Following up. What were your impressions on the Lunas?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Following up. What were your impressions on the Lunas?
    They're great!

Here's a picture of my setup when my desk is raised. The amp and subwoofer are behind me. I can tell the speakers are less efficient than my last set, but the amp seems to handle them fine.

I just ordered small stands to tilt the speakers up as they are pretty far below ear level.

Has anyone else noticed a break-in period with these? I was away for week between my initial listening session and my second session, but they seemed to sound better during the second session. I tend to attribute that change to myself, not the speakers, but I figured I would ask.

ascend-2.jpg

Looks great! Glad you are enjoying them. I haven't noticed any break in period on my pair (but I mostly play rain, relaxing piano, and ocean sounds through them when sleeping/for evening music), but overall, they sound impressive for such a compact speaker.
    Last edited by Robert; 10-26-2022 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cliff_is View Post
    They're great!

Here's a picture of my setup when my desk is raised. The amp and subwoofer are behind me. I can tell the speakers are less efficient than my last set, but the amp seems to handle them fine.

I just ordered small stands to tilt the speakers up as they are pretty far below ear level.

Has anyone else noticed a break-in period with these? I was away for week between my initial listening session and my second session, but they seemed to sound better during the second session. I tend to attribute that change to myself, not the speakers, but I figured I would ask.

ascend-2.jpg
    They look terrific! Thanks for sharing
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com