Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best upgrade path?

If you setup your DVD player to send the outputs a ful range signal, and have the subwoofer between your signal and the speakers, you will get the LFE information. On any decent DVD player, that is...

Quote Originally Posted by GodsMadClown
    If you setup your DVD player to send the outputs a ful range signal, and have the subwoofer between your signal and the speakers, you will get the LFE information. On any decent DVD player, that is...
    I have a good Sony DVD player but it is about 5 years old. My receiver doesn't have any digital inputs so I will have to look to see if the DVD player has an option for sending LFE out though the analog outs. I didn't see it before but it can't hurt to look again. I know that it is currently not sending the LFE info out because when I play the LFE test tones on my DVE test DVD no sound comes out of the speakers.

Thanks,

Darren

If you don't have a digital signal to the receiver, you are only sending a standard analog stereo signal to it.

What this means is, the receiver treats it like any other analog stereo signal. So if you run Pro-logic, there is not a seperate .1, or LFE, signal being produced. You must have Pro-logicII or IIx to simulate that aspect of discrete digital surround from ordinary analog sources.(At least that's my understanding). Any experts please feel free to make corrections!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Definitely option 1 - I remember being in the same boat about, hmmm, 15 years ago now? When I went from stereo to surround... wow... you are in for a real treat! Enjoy!
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Man, you dredged up an old question I asked.

I actually went for super-secret option x.

I was upset at my wife one day and ordered 340's all across the front, a Pioneer 1015, and an SVS 25-31 PC+ and have been rockin out ever since.

Now I am looking at getting an EQ for the sub since my room is very acoustically challenged. I'm probably going to get a BFD since it is inexpensive and gets the job done.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Wow, you are right, I thought it said 9/24/05, not 3/24/05! Thats what I get for trying to read right before bedtime with bleary eyes. Well, at any rate, sounds like you've a great system now - CONGRATS! I can't wait until my three 340's for the front arrive in about 2 weeks.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

OK, I'm newly registered on this forum, so please forgive the simple stupidity of my question. But, what is a BFD? I am currently waiting on the funds to come in and the final permission from the wife to get a 340C and 170 mains, along with probably a VTF2. I am just starting to look into room acoustics and stuff so that I can really get the best sound. I was conecerned about an uneven bass response from the sub if I couldn't find a good spot for it. From your posts it seems that you are looking at using an inexpensive (cheap, yeah!) BFD to help the sub. So, that brings me back to my question, what is it?

This is a BFD.

It's a parametric equalizer people use for taming their subs in-room frequency response to flatten it out.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Ah, I see. Thanks. Hopefully when I get my sub I will get lucky with weird room acoustics that all work in harmony perfectly cause I think my wife would kill me if bought another piece of equipement just to get the latest toy to work right. Can't wait to get started on this. I think taking care of room acoustics is gonna be a lot of fun.