Thread: Must buy piecemeal...advice please.

Default Must buy piecemeal...advice please.

Hi folks,

I know this is probably one of those situations where it's all up to me, but I'd like to try for some advice.

My current audio system, if you can call it that, consists of what's left of a 1982 vintage Fisher "50 watt" rack system (integrated amp only remains...hey, I was 12)) and a pair of circa 1989 Boston Acoustic A60's I orginally had installed in the back of my SUV (woofers replaced 2 years ago).

My trusty amp has been through the mill over the years and is, I believe, on its way out. The speakers seem to be going strong with the new woofers.

I really want to update this system. I know that speakers are generally much more important in the equation than a receiver, but man, as you can see I don't have much to work with. As a lowly graduate student, I need to buy piecemeal.

I'm not going to set up a full surround sound system at this time beacause 1) I don't have the funds, and 2) I'm waiting for the upcoming digital audio/video formats to sort themselves out.

That leaves me with the need for a strong receiver (perhaps no more than 2 channel) and a set of main speakers that will impress the hell out of me and integrate into a future HT setup: hello Ascend.

Based on what I've told you, it seems clear to me that no matter how good my new speakers, running them off this crappy old amp would be a joke.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a new digital receiver like the Panasonic SA-XR70 in March, and a couple of 170's or 340's as soon after that as possible.

Any other thoughts, especially regarding the receiver? Even if I replace it in the near future I want it to perform well until that time.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your responses.

Evan

I'm having an epiphany tonight. Why get a multi channel receiver if I'm going to replace it by the time I set up a multi-channel system?

The HK 3480 has caught my eye...

For the price, I would strongly consider one of the Panny digital receivers. It's multi-channel, but hey, you never know when some funds may arise to facilitate a new pair of speakers. Combine that with a pair of 340's if money allows. If not, get a pair of 170's for now. You can always move them to surrounds later, or get another pair for an "all 170" setup. You have a lot of options here. Let me be the first to tell you that whether you go for the 340's or 170's, you won't be disappointed in the sound that these babies make. Welcome to the forum.
    - EVH III

A couple of bargains are the

Sharp SD-EX111 mini system bargain alert
    at $85

and

Sonic Impact Class T $39 amplifier review at 6moons

I've played with the Sonic Impact and think it edged out the JVC RX-F10 I had for a while. I haven't heard the Sharp.

The Sonic Impact's 5 useable watts drives my 340s surprisingly well. It can put out all the volume I can take.

This Teac gets love too among the digital bargains crowd.

For that matter, is there any reason I can't just get a power amp and use my computer, on which I store all my music, to feed and control the audio?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubman
    For that matter, is there any reason I can't just get a power amp and use my computer, on which I store all my music, to feed and control the audio?
    Actually, that should work just fine. I was going to suggest (until I read your last post) to get just a separate amp(S) for now. Hold off on a receiver for a bit longer until the built in HDMI/DVI switching capablilities come out. A receiver/pre pro like this would no doubt be flash upgradable when a new sound format comes out. This is the route I will be going as I am sick of buying a receiver and after a year or two finding out it is out of date. Amps never go out of date, and if you wait to get an upgradeable receiver/ prepro, then you won't need to replace that any time soon either.

All you have left then is the speakers - and about all I can say about the Ascends is that you would be very very hard pressed on the USED market to find a speaker in the Ascend price range that will out peform them, and I dare say next to impossible in the 'new' market (within 20% of MSRP). But YMMV, and if you can audition them first I would do that (though I bought them without auditioning them, and shipping these things back is very easy considering they are only book shelfs, but these babies are not going anywhere!).