Thread: Side and Rear Surrounds Suggestons!

Default Side and Rear Surrounds Suggestons!

Ok guys, I do have the CMT340's as LCR and need some side surrounds and rear surrounds. I am considering the HTM200 for the rears since I have stands for them but for sides I am lost. I am looking for a biopolar speaker since I have two rows of seats and would like the wide dispersion. What would you guys recommend? Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Side and Rear Surrounds Suggestons!

Not sure if either still sells, but Definitive Tech and Emotiva have/had bipolars. I used the Def Techs for awhile. That said, why not HTM or Lunas for the sides? Either could probably work even with 2 rows of seats but you may want to give Ascend a call to discuss

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Not sure if either still sells, but Definitive Tech and Emotiva have/had bipolars. I used the Def Techs for awhile. That said, why not HTM or Lunas for the sides? Either could probably work even with 2 rows of seats but you may want to give Ascend a call to discuss
    Thank you! Yes I did consider the HTM's for sides as well but do not know how the dispersion will be on those with two row seats. You are right though, I will be calling Dina and ask them. Thank you again.

You’re welcome. Let us know what Dina has to say

Has anyone considered or tried Goldenear Supersat 3 or 3C? Or even Martin Logan 2i/4i/6i/8i that all have ribbon tweeters?

Quote Originally Posted by hdkeith View Post
    Has anyone considered or tried Goldenear Supersat 3 or 3C? Or even Martin Logan 2i/4i/6i/8i that all have ribbon tweeters?
    They do not actually use ribbon tweeters, they are AMT tweeters. There is nothing even remotely similar to a RAAL ribbon tweeter and an AMT.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Nice to know, I thought they were based on the same expired patent. Any suggestions on surrounds that will have a good timbre/tonal match?

Quote Originally Posted by hdkeith View Post
    Nice to know, I thought they were based on the same expired patent. Any suggestions on surrounds that will have a good timbre/tonal match?
    RAAL ribbons are True Ribbon tweeters. The expired patent you mention is for Air Motion Transformer tweeters. They produce soundwaves differently. AMT's are now manufactured in bulk in China and the majority cost about $20 each (bulk manufacturing pricing). RAAL ribbons are hand made in very small quantities by RAAL in Serbia, and cost a small fortune. The benefits are huge, much wider and more linear horizontal dispersion, about 50-100 times less moving mass (the lowest stored energy of any manufactured tweeter), no voice coil, much smoother frequency response combined with significantly greater high frequency extension. Those are just a few of the benefits

Very very few speakers use true ribbon tweeters, and most manufacturers who use AMT's wrongfully use the term "ribbon tweeter" to capitalize on the performance reputation of true ribbon tweeters.

For surrounds, our HTM-200's are what most customers use and they are closely timbre matched, for perfect timbre matching and a more enveloping surround experience, Luna are the best choice.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi Dave,

Sent you an email with few questions. Please take a look when you have some time ( I know you are swamped ) Thank you sir.