Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duo V2?

Default Duo V2?

Any comments about the Duo center V2 upgrade?

Searching around and not seeing much.

Thx

Default Re: Duo V2?

3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

So I went for the upgrade and am nearly done with it. I have a few questions that the documentation wasn't clear on.

1) Does the new damping material go on top of the existing damping or replace it?

2) The process of installing the port dampers is a little vague. Is there a video perhaps of the upgrade?

Thx!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    So I went for the upgrade and am nearly done with it. I have a few questions that the documentation wasn't clear on.

1) Does the new damping material go on top of the existing damping or replace it?
    On top of, so pretty much doubling the total amount of damping material.

2) The process of installing the port dampers is a little vague.
    In concept, it's really simple—just slide the dampener into the slot (the long way) all the way to the back, one on each side of the slot.

In execution, it's a little harder. The key to making it work is to take step (a) of that seriously—you REALLY have to compress them before you install them, or they're really hard to push into the slot. Compress one, then try to slide it in to the slot. If it doesn't slide in easily, then it isn't compressed enough. I found I had to work each dampener over several times to get it sufficiently compressed.

Then just make sure you push it all the way into the slot (toward the back of the speaker), and make sure it's all the way up against the side. Then repeat for the other side.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

2) The process of installing the port dampers is a little vague. Is there a video perhaps of the upgrade?

Thx!!
    1. The new damping material goes on top of the existing material.
    2. Just get the port dampers all the way in towards the back and to each side
    Nate

Good explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    On top of, so pretty much doubling the total amount of damping material.

In concept, it's really simple—just slide the dampener into the slot (the long way) all the way to the back, one on each side of the slot.

In execution, it's a little harder. The key to making it work is to take step (a) of that seriously—you REALLY have to compress them before you install them, or they're really hard to push into the slot. Compress one, then try to slide it in to the slot. If it doesn't slide in easily, then it isn't compressed enough. I found I had to work each dampener over several times to get it sufficiently compressed.

Then just make sure you push it all the way into the slot (toward the back of the speaker), and make sure it's all the way up against the side. Then repeat for the other side.

Thx. Doubling up on the damping material - done.

As for the port dampers, I guess I did them correctly. Though a diagram would help in the directions. It sounds like you're saying they need to end up perpendicular to the back. And then two dampeners need to be side by side at the back. Then same for the other port.

I wasn't sure why they had an arrow on them other than you push them in short side first. But I assumed you have to then rotate them so they're then parallel to the back.

I was able to get them in easily enough and then pushed them to the back. Whether they're parallel to each other in the back or kind of squished on top of each other is hard to tell. I used a butter knife to push them around. But it's impossible to really see what's going on.

They go in the slots like this:

.IMG_0487sm.jpg

I agree that the instructions are not clear, and I had to call Dina to get clarification. I initially installed them so they were oriented the opposite way.

Thx. Doubling up on the damping material - done.

As for the port dampers, I guess I did them correctly. Though a diagram would help in the directions. It sounds like you're saying they need to end up perpendicular to the back. And then two dampeners need to be side by side at the back. Then same for the other port.

I wasn't sure why they had an arrow on them other than you push them in short side first. But I assumed you have to then rotate them so they're then parallel to the back.

I was able to get them in easily enough and then pushed them to the back. Whether they're parallel to each other in the back or kind of squished on top of each other is hard to tell. I used a butter knife to push them around. But it's impossible to really see what's going on.
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

OK - that's not at ALL what I did. LOL. I will have to look for a pair of long grabbers to pull them out and reorient them.

Thank you!

I managed to get the dampers out and reorient them as your photo. Thx for posting that!!

Frankly the documentation could have better described the orientation of the speaker when placing the dampers. If you use the speaker as a Center, then describing the left and right of each port should have said top and bottom instead.

Anyway, now I know could have probably been a proctologist.

The speaker is certainly more forward for midrange. So far dialog seems much sharper.