Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HLAM Measurements

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hlam View Post
    The measurements were taken with a UMIK-1 placed at ear height in the MLP.
    I do not use any room eq at all. This is just the front speakers.
    I removed the wires from the sierra 2's and put the LX's in their place without moving the mike.
    The MiniDSP is used to time aline the 4 subs with each other. I then check different crossovers to get the best blend between the subs and the speakers. In my room this is always in the range of 150 Hz.
    OK - we are making some progress..

You can not reliably measure 2 speakers at the same time. Next step, please measure the left Sierra-2 speaker, run full range with no subwoofer and all processing / EQ turned off. Once you have this measurement, connect the LX speaker in the exact same position and take the measurement.

Once this is completed, please do the same for the right speaker.

Again, just one speaker at a time, no sub, no EQ, no DSP at all, full range.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I have done the distance tweak and tried every crossover from 40 to 250 Hz.
    The speakers are located in the best position I can find in this room. MLP is set in stone. The couch is close to the back wall and this can not be changed. The subs can not be moved.
    I have to live with the system as is. I am used to this sound and it sounds quite good to me.
    You guys have almost convinced me to get rid of this crap and get a real sound system from a real speaker company like ****. LOL
    So the issue you have is the huge dip at 110hz no matter where the speakers or sub is placed?
    -curtis

Curtis that measurement was the subs alone. That dip is not as bad with the speakers added into the mix.
    speakers and subs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    It's funny that you say that... because if my memory serves me correctly...he(Hlam) had AV123.. I think DR....was part of that design team...thou I could be mistaken...lol

Lord knows I'd never give that guy any props.
    Good Memory Billy.
    I still have those Rockets and they still work perfectly.
    DR reworked the crossovers in the 850,s. I purchased these and installed them as an upgrade. They did improve the sound from the original crossovers.

Curtis that measurement was the subs alone. That dip is not as bad with the speakers added into the mix.
    speakers and subs.jpg
    Two questions:

That dip doesn't change no matter where you put the sub?

Have you tried taking REW/miniDSP out of the equation, and letting ARC deal with everything?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Two questions:

That dip doesn't change no matter where you put the sub?

Have you tried taking REW/miniDSP out of the equation, and letting ARC deal with everything?
    That dip does not change. I have even tried adding a fifth sub that I move around the room and that dip is always there. I do not think that my wife would go for another sub in the living room anyway; four may be the limit.
    I have never liked what ARC does to the sound of my speakers. Even limited to 300Hz it affects all frequencies and not in a good way. Turning ARC off does not remove these affects. I have to do 4 or 5 factory resets to get it back to normal.

That dip does not change. I have even tried adding a fifth sub that I move around the room and that dip is always there. I do not think that my wife would go for another sub in the living room anyway; four may be the limit.
    I have never liked what ARC does to the sound of my speakers. Even limited to 300Hz it affects all frequencies and not in a good way. Turning ARC off does not remove these affects. I have to do 4 or 5 factory resets to get it back to normal.
    So the dip is identical no matter where you place the subs or how many subs you use?

Have you ever taken a close mic measurement with only one subwoofer? Makes me think there is a filter setup on the miniDSP.
    -curtis

I took close mic measurement of each sub to match the levels before starting to blend them together.
    I did receive my second pair of LX's yesterday.

I have a few days off work starting tomorrow.
    I should have time to get the measurements that Dave requested.

I took close mic measurement of each sub to match the levels before starting to blend them together.
    I did receive my second pair of LX's yesterday.
    great...at what point did the dip start showing itself? Was the close mic measurement with or without the miniDSP in chain?
    -curtis