Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HLAM Measurements

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    I think you should use some form of room correction on the low end of the speakers. I have the same issues. My Sierra-2’s are somewhat corner loaded and sound really boomy without room correction. Once you tame the low end with room correction, you can cross over lower with the subs without it sounding boomy.
    Room correction does not seem to work in my room. I have had a receiver with Audyssey, one with Audyssey XT32, one with Dirac Live, and one with Anthem ARC. I returned the NAD with Dirac but still have the others.
    Each one of these degraded the sound of my system to some degree.
    I get the best results using REW to eq the subs only.
    I cannot change my room so I tried all the room correction software types I could afford.
    After many years of trying to improve what I had I came to the conclusion that it was time to enjoy the system I have.
    Dave makes great speakers. They are made to enjoy listening to music, so why waste my time trying to make them sound better.

Have you tried room treatments and/or different speaker placement for the LX's?

Also, based on your earlier graphs and my interpretation that you did flatten the subs using REW/miniDSP, looks to me like room EQ does work in your room.

I've never used Audyssey or Dirac but ARC for several years. With my 720 and ARC On, I never really liked it for music as seemed to "deaden" the sound. With my AVM70 and new ARC, it does wonders for both music and movies. So much so that I am considering simplifying my system (removing my RP5 and running everything through the Anthem).
    Last edited by racrawford65; 06-11-2022 at 05:17 PM.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Hlam View Post
    Dave makes great speakers. They are made to enjoy listening to music, so why waste my time trying to make them sound better.
    Agreed, so use room correction, especially for the bass, so you hear the speakers correctly.

Something is not right somewhere.

Room correction does not seem to work in my room. I have had a receiver with Audyssey, one with Audyssey XT32, one with Dirac Live, and one with Anthem ARC. I returned the NAD with Dirac but still have the others.
    I cannot change my room so I tried all the room correction software types I could afford.
    After many years of trying to improve what I had I came to the conclusion that it was time to enjoy the system I have.
    Limit your room correction to 300hz and below for your speakers. The issues you probably had in the past were most likely due to doing room correction on the full range.

What is your crossover point on the avr? Assuming your mini dsp is getting the sub signal from avr?
    My experience with peq, is that it can never remove nodes, but it could certainly tame down some of the unwanted areas.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Room treatments are the only thing that I have tried. This is a living room and they are out of the picture.
    I have use many different cut off points for the room correction including 300 Hz.
    This graph is with ARC on vs off. Crossover at 130 sub flattened with REW. ARC correction set to 300 Hz.
    ARC on vs off.jpg
    As you can see ARC does nothing to help.

@Hlam I use Audyssey, not ARC, so I'm not sure if this will apply. Although the room correction does a good job in general, it's weak around the crossover frequency to the subs. There is a procedure called the Sub Distance Tweak. Basically you change the distance (delay) of your subwoofer 1 foot at a time (usually more distance, but sometimes shorter) and see if the response at the crossover frequency improves. Sometimes it makes a dramatic improvement. Also play with the crossover frequency. I added 2 feet of distance and changed my crossover frequency to 90 Hz and my response is much better.

@Hlam also looks like you have a null at 110 or so. Have you tried moving subs, speakers, or MLP, if any of these are possible?
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

I have done the distance tweak and tried every crossover from 40 to 250 Hz.
    The speakers are located in the best position I can find in this room. MLP is set in stone. The couch is close to the back wall and this can not be changed. The subs can not be moved.
    I have to live with the system as is. I am used to this sound and it sounds quite good to me.
    You guys have almost convinced me to get rid of this crap and get a real sound system from a real speaker company like ****. LOL

Was the real speaker company GR research?