Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2-EX vs Sierra LX

Default Re: Sierra 2-EX vs Sierra LX

Quote Originally Posted by Slork View Post
    Thank you. I think I'll just go with the LX LR as well as LX center, but mounted horizontally.
    I agree with this!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Any chance these new drivers will make their way into the towers and horizon center someday?

Dave alluded to something in the works for the Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Dave alluded to something in the works for the Towers.
    Somewhere else Dave said you can already buy the Horizon with the Titan tweeter for the same price as the NrT version (not on the site yet but call Dina).

Also, he's working on Lunas and Duos with the new tweeter as well, though there are some challenges involving the crossover and cabinet space for the those.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

To me this is a no brainer. There's no comparison between the Duo or LX as a center. LX all the way. I would even take the Sierra 1 over it. The Center needs to be every bit as capable as the mains. People underestimate just how much action the center speaker is responsible for. Just disconnect it during a movie and see for yourself. You have bass, action not just dialogue. Duo is good for a small room or if you have space constraints.

I used to use the Duo V2 as a center due to space constraints, but that has been swapped out to a Sierra-2EX laid horizontally. Too much compromise with the MTM configuration laying horizontally. If space allowed, I’d have a Horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    I used to use the Duo V2 as a center due to space constraints, but that has been swapped out to a Sierra-2EX laid horizontally. Too much compromise with the MTM configuration laying horizontally. If space allowed, I’d have a Horizon.
    You could actually hear the compromise/issues? Were you sitting off center?
    -curtis

I started with an S2 laid horizontally as a center (paired with S2's left/right). Moved to Towers w/ RAAL for LR, and later a Duo. Personally, I found the Duo to be a better center than the S2 - dialog was much clearer in my room. Since then, I redesigned my TV riser and moved to Horizon w/ RAAL as center. The Horizon is much better as a center - still very clear dialog and more engaging overall. I'll take the Duo to our place in Brazil to use as the center, paired with the LX for LR, and perhaps the pair of HTM200's I'm using in my office for surrounds for a 5.0 system. Not sure if I'll bring (buy) another sub for there.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Short version: I would get the LX.

Very long version: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX vs. Sierra-2EX Comparison

I would still get the RAAL version of the Horizon, though. The NrT dome and the Titan dome in the LX are more different tonally than the Titan and the RAAL. The Titan is quite RAAL-like, tonally.
    Just getting around to these older posts. Do you think having the 2EX v2 would have made much difference in your conclusion based on what the few V2 owners have stated about the upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    Just getting around to these older posts. Do you think having the 2EX v2 would have made much difference in your conclusion based on what the few V2 owners have stated about the upgrade?
    Based on what people have said it sounds like the EX V2 narrows the gap between the LX and the EX, but the EX still won't have the LXs wider vertical, so I expect not. In my main HT I have Duos for LCR (upgraded to V2s, which was a substantial upgrade) and they're great until I stand up—being vertically off-axis is not ideal for the RAALs and I don't think the EX V2 upgrade can really address that.

Of course, that's a bit speculative—I'll know more once I get around to the 2EX V2 upgrade myself. Probably over the holiday break.

The game also changes again if the Horizon becomes available with the Titan tweeter, as Dave has either hinted at very strongly or maybe even said outright (can't remember which). Then for HT I'd definitely get LXs with a Titan Horizon.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.