Thread: Should I upgrade rear surround speakers.

Default Should I upgrade rear surround speakers.

Planning on following setup: Sierra Horizon and Sierra towers with RAAL ribbon. Use setup for gaming, movies, and some music. I do have movies that have great soundtracks and my gaming needs do use my current rear speakers. I am considering the HTM 200SE to use as rear speakers.
    Would the HTM 200SE rear speakers be sufficient or would I gain a noticeable benefit choosing different speaker for rears such as Luna mini-monitor, sierra 1 pair, or the sierra 2ex pair.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Should I upgrade rear surround speakers.

Before I got my Towers, I was using the HTM200SE for surrounds with S2 across the front. Worked fine. Subsequently, I moved my S2 to surround and the HTMs to my office. Also use HTMs as Heights (F&R). IMO, comes down to your budget and placement options - the HTM & Lunas could be flush mounted to the wall, the S1 & S2EX need some space due to the rear port.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Given that you have experience with both HTM200SE and S2 for surround, how would you describe the upgrade in terms of sound quality with the rear speakers? HTM is great because I could just get a flush wall mount. If I got the S2, then I would get a stand for them and have them at least 6 inches from back wall. Thank you.

For surrounds and since I'm primarily movies for multichannel, IMO HTMs were fine. I only moved the S2's there because I had them. I could have easily kept the HTMs and tried to sell the S2s.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD