Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering Ascends... dumb question..

Don't associate older with worse and newer with better. I have run across some pretty poor current recordings from good performers. I recommend that people put together a demo CD of a variety of music they like when visiting audio stores. Don't only select things you know to be well recorded - put on some ones you suspect might not be. When you try them on detailed speakers, you will quickly be able to tell.

There are plenty of great older vinyl recordings and many new badly done digital recordings.

Most notably: Red Hot Chili Peppers Californication. I would like my money back please. Never before has such excellent music been recorded worse.

My $0.02: Steely Dan Gaucho is my personal fave recording for crispness.
    Good Sound to You!

James Greenberg
    www.ascendacoustics.com

thanks for the responses. I am starting to understand the benefits and possible drawbacks (if you could consider hearing everything you are supposed to hear as a drawback) of accurate loudspeakers.

Wondering though, would you consider audiophile speakers accurate speakers? I recently heard a pair of revels (don't remember what model) but they had a cool looking curved grille. they sounded great to me but I am wondering if these speakers (way out of my budget) would be considered accurate.

Judging by the test done at Soundstage...I'd say Revels are accurate.....maybe not as accurate as the CBM-170 though.

http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html
    -curtis

the term 'audiophile' can be a bit confusing. for example; to my mate, his pioneer car amp and speakers are 'audiophile'. to me, i can think of a few reasons why his car setup is not audiophile. for example pioneer don't make good speakers under their brand 'pioneer' (they do make some good speakers under a brand called 'tad' which is available in asia only?). also, i think that audiophile and car hi-fi don't go together, mainly because of road noise, engine noise, wind noise and a bunch of other factors which make me want to pull the head off a big rat.

so you can see how anything can be classified as audiophile. to answer your question, i think that accuracy is a big part of whether or not a speaker is worth its weight in salt or other assorted spices.

Quote Originally Posted by bamputin
    ...which make me want to pull the head off a big rat.
    Or as I might say, "Enough to make me wanna eat worms!"

Being more familiar with car audio I can give a very good reason for why people don't want "accurate" speakers.

The classic tradeoff of SPL vs SQ in terms of cars, maybe not so much in home, is evident, where some people are willing to trade off SQ, to have ear shattering bass or highs. My roommate for example listens to rock. He likes the sound of klipsch horns, which although harsh, I do feel correctly go with rock music more. Is that to say the klipschs or ascends are more or less accurate? I would say no. It's a matter of musical taste, type of music you enjoy, and volume preference.

but JMHO,
    C'est

i guess what i was trying to say is that when you get used to accurate sound reproduction, trading off sq for spl is a compromise. which could only be a reflection of budget (if you can't afford powerful and accurate).

i saw a pair of revels on the movie "what women want"

jamesg,

funny you mentioned Californication because I was thinking about that CD while I was reading this thread. I was also very disappointed with its quality.