Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering Ascends... dumb question..

Aaron, I now notice gear in movies and TV show's that I used to not. In an episode of Friends, Joey and Chandler has a pair of Martin Logans in their apartment. I don't know if they were there all the time, because I didn't watch it on a regular basis.
    - EVH III

ha, cool!

Default Thanks... going to buy soon!

Just wanted to say thanx. I've leaned a ton in the past month from reading various forums and discussions. I don't feel like a "newb" anymore thanks to many of you (and the guys at Ascend and their competitors). I am pretty much sold on going with CBM-170s all the way around with a 340 center. As James recommended I could always add 340 mains later on and move the 170s to have a true 7.1 system.

Can't decide on a subwoofer yet and it is stressing me out. Seems like any public discussion between subwoofers on many forums ends up becoming a useless pissing contest. oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by DeftOne
    Can't decide on a subwoofer yet and it is stressing me out. Seems like any public discussion between subwoofers on many forums ends up becoming a useless pissing contest. oh well.
    I believe that's because so few of the posters have actually A/B'ed subs. Curtis has and I put a lot of stock in what he has to say. I followed his advice and auditioned the 340's. That was one very good move. Right now I'm leaning toward a Hsu but I'll wait till the new ones are introduced and I can get some feedback.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DeftOne
    You could call Dave and ask him why he chose to carry Hsu.

I recently found a link to a hometheaterforum.com review in which the SVS PB10 was directly compared to the Hsu STF-3 and the SVS won. Very lengthy, detailed, appears scientific---not that I really know squat about the "science" behind audio of course:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=190398

Would love to hear a comparison of the TRULY cheap entry level subs, like the $125 Dayton from partsexpress.com that I keep reading about on these forums, versus the $200 entry level JBL e150 (which I have, alas) versus the $300 Hsu STF-1 and the $400 SVS PB10.

My curiousity is, the SVS costs 4 times more than the Dayton but is it really FOUR TIMES as good? Or is it more like 50% better? Sure wish I had the time and resources to home audition all these myself...

This was a comparison of the STF-3 and the SVS entry level 12", PB1-ISD, not the PB10. It's from a year ago and I don't want to reread the whole thing to get my facts straight. SVS has an updated entry level 12" coming, the PB12-ISD/V for $699. This is pasted from the SVS website.

[There's a bit of a surprise sub that's sneaked out of the R/D labs for you too. Our "ISD" woofer is so good, we decided to do a special run of the new deep-extension cabinet you see above, but customized for the great 325 watt BASH amp instead (with user-variable subsonic filter/EQ embedded). So you get a fantastic ISD woofer, variable tuning (20hz native mode with all 3" ports open) and our fine textured cabinets, all for $699. Pre-orders coming soon, with mid-April availability. The PB12-ISD/Vis just another garden-variety killer entry level SVS you didn't see coming. Expect pictures next week.]

The reviewer, Edward J M, is very knowledgeable and a fan of SVS products. That's about all I remember. Curtis may have some imput on this review. I believe he was part of the discussion.

David

> This was a comparison of the STF-3 and the SVS entry level 12", PB1-ISD, not the PB10.

oops, you're right.

All the more reason for a comparison of the truly entry level subs from each manufacturer, I guess.

The new PB12-ISD/V looks to compete directly with the current Hsu VTF-3MKII.
    -curtis