Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp Recommendation

Default Amp Recommendation

I was hoping to ask the community here for their advice on choosing an amp. The short version: I need a 5.1 amp that I could use with bookshelf-style speakers and a subwoofer. I'd like to keep it under $2k if possible and I think I found a few under $1500 that would be fine...but I'd rather hear what you all have to say about it.

The longer version: I currently have two CMB-170's and an NAD C 316BEE connected to my projector / CRT setup. I'm using the DAC in my Oppo UDP-203 for all digital sources. I LOVE this setup. It's the best I've ever owned and I'd like something that's comparable for my 5.1 setup that's in another room, connected to my OLED.

My current 5.1 setup are two ELAC DB62-BK's in the front, D5's for the rear, C5 for the center and a Debut 2.0 DS10.2 200 Watt subwofer. These are paired with a bottom-line Denon, which was absolutely fine when I lived in an apartment (I didn't even have a sub then), but now that I'm in a house...and especially after I heard my 2.0 setup..I need something more.

BUT

While this amp will at first be connected to the Elac's, I'll eventually be swapping everything around: The NAD will power the two DB-62's, I'll sell the rest of the Elac's and make the projector setup my main one. The eventual (a year from now?) setup will be four CMB-170's, a CMT-340c and a magnetically shielded subwoofer (is Ascend's budget sub shielded?). If I'm really, really lucky, I'll be able to have two Sierra-LX's for the front's, but I'm not sure if my budget will allow that.

So, what do all you awesome people suggest for a 5.1 amp that will work fine now, but also be something that would pair well next year with the Ascend Acoustic's? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Default Re: Amp Recommendation

So, you are looking for a 5 channel amp (not receiver). The .1 refers to the subwoofer which should have it's own amp.

You should check:
    Outlaw Audio
    Emotiva
    VTV amplifier (class D)
    ATI
    Parasound
    D-Sonic (class D, but likely over your budget)

also check usaudiomart.com or audigon.com for used amps.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I'd have no problem with using a 5-channel amp, but I'd then need a separate DAC and switch for analog music sources as well. I looked into the NAD T 758 V3i, simply because I had such good luck with their 2.0 channel amp and if nothing else, it seemed like a big step up from a low-end Denon.

Would I really benefit from a separate amp, or can I stick with one device?

Ok, based on your comment about the NAD T758, looks like you are looking for an AVR not a stand-alone amp to replace the Denon?

That NAD looks nice. You could also take a look at Anthem (MRX540 is a 5 channel AVR but will process 7.2 - would only need a separate 2 ch amp for the additional two channels if you decide to add). Personally, I'd start with the AVR and using it's amps. You could always add an amp later if you feel you need to as long as the AVR has preouts.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

I think you should consider another Denon AVR - the first model in their lineup with preamp outs. This also has better internal amps than their entry-level models. If budget is an important consideration, you are more likely to find a great deal on a used Denon than some other brands mentioned here, because it's closer to a mass-market brand (more are produced and sold). The specific models I'm suggesting are X3300W, X3400H, X3500H, X3600H, X3700H. These are five successive model years, 2016 through 2020. Changes in features across these five model years are small.

(note: my list starts with X3300W because the X3300W is the first "3" series Denon AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, the best version of the Audyssey room correction software. The X3300W and later also include the capability to run Audyssey from a smartphone or tablet via a $20 "app", which adds a few features not present in the Audyssey software built into the AVR.)

Quote Originally Posted by sonic icons View Post
    I think you should consider another Denon AVR - the first model in their lineup with preamp outs. This also has better internal amps than their entry-level models. If budget is an important consideration, you are more likely to find a great deal on a used Denon than some other brands mentioned here, because it's closer to a mass-market brand (more are produced and sold). The specific models I'm suggesting are X3300W, X3400H, X3500H, X3600H, X3700H. These are five successive model years, 2016 through 2020. Changes in features across these five model years are small.

(note: my list starts with X3300W because the X3300W is the first "3" series Denon AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, the best version of the Audyssey room correction software. The X3300W and later also include the capability to run Audyssey from a smartphone or tablet via a $20 "app", which adds a few features not present in the Audyssey software built into the AVR.)
    Denon's are fine, as well, although, IMO, Audyssey isn't as good as DIRAC or Anthem's Room Correction. Accessories for less carries refurbished with warranty for fairly good pricing.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

Yamaha is another option for "mass" market AVRs.

Personally, if he likes the NAD sound and within his budget, that is probably his best option, IMO. I've not demo'ed NAD so not sure how it compares to Anthem sound-wise. I've been very happy with the 3 Anthem's I've owned (MRX510, MRX720, and now AVM70)

Lots of good suggestions for a midrange AVR.

If I may, a suggestion about the speakers: if you have the budget and space, get the CMT-340SE for all three front speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    If I may, a suggestion about the speakers: if you have the budget and space, get the CMT-340SE for all three front speakers.
    Thanks for the suggestion. May I ask why? Not second-guessing, just genuinely curious.

...and I'll have to measure, but there's a good chance they won't fit. I show my setup at 10:15 in this video and it's...well...you'll see https://youtu.be/0yHzDiJRY0w?t=615

Quote Originally Posted by retrorgb View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. May I ask why? Not second-guessing, just genuinely curious.

...and I'll have to measure, but there's a good chance they won't fit. I show my setup at 10:15 in this video and it's...well...you'll see https://youtu.be/0yHzDiJRY0w?t=615
    Although the 170s and the 340s are similar, they are not identical. Having the LCR all the same will create a more consistent sound "front".

The 340s also have a "fuller" sound because of the two woofers, a bit more sensitivity and a better tweeter. Since your primary use will be home teather, the increased dynamic headroom will turn useful.

I have the 340s as my mains together with a L12 Rythmik sub and they shine with both music and movies.

If you just can't fit them I am sure you'll be happy with the CBM-170SE as well, though.
    Last edited by MusicHead; 04-12-2022 at 06:07 PM.

Another possible configuration is CBM-170 for all front speakers. That would require two things - Ascend will sell an odd number (5) of the CBM-170 (not a standard sales option but you could ask), and your setup will allow a 9" high center (CBM-170 turned on its side).

Three CBM-170s as LCR give the same advantage of more consistent front sound as three CMT-340s. Another potential advantage of a two-way speaker turned on its side over a MTM style center (like the CMT-340) is less problems with irregular off-axis frequency response ("lobing" caused by interference between the two midrange-bass drivers in the MTM design). That is only a concern if there are multiple listeners. Presumably a single listener will always sit on axis.
    Last edited by sonic icons; 04-13-2022 at 10:44 AM.